Weight training legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka0019

Just wondered how many people do weight training on their legs? I go to the gym quite a lot but only do upper body as I cycle to and from work everyday so I figure that is enough leg work. But would doing weights make much of a difference to just cycling? I know it would give more power for sprinting but would extra muscle weight not also slow you down?

Any views?

Garz

Squat Member
I would just do them to mix things up, or weeks when you cant get out on the bike.

walker

aka0019 said:
I know it would give more power for sprinting but would extra muscle weight not also slow you down?

Nah not really, not unless your doing small weights at more and faster reps. If anything it will help with pushing the big gears up hill. You won't be triggering the white twitch fibres doing heavy weights in the way that you want.

simple rule of thumb, if you want to get better at cycling, then cycle, best advice you can get from Eddie Merckx

Losidan

I do weights too now. Been doing them for about a month. I just keep it simple doing compound movements.
Squats
barbell rows
deadlifts
bench press

How much benefit it gives I dont know. I guess it makes me feel I am "training" though as I want to get back to BMX

walker

Losidan said:
I do weights too now. Been doing them for about a month. I just keep it simple doing compound movements.
Squats
barbell rows
deadlifts
bench press

How much benefit it gives I dont know. I guess it makes me feel I am "training" though as I want to get back to BMX

Whats a barbell row? is this a bent over row?

I found that sessions on the cross-trainer gave me benefits with cycling. Don't really know if this was more down to the cardio side of it than muscle.

I'm rebuilding after 9 months off due to sprains, patellar bursitis and knee tracking in both legs (it's been a fun year!) and I'm doing short 10 minute cross-trainer sessions, and a little leg curling on top of the other 12 physio exercises.

The most effective thing seem to be the squats, and cycling, nothing else seems to really push the muscles.

Top Bottom