Weight training!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

naffets

Hi,
After advice when is best to do weight training leg work
i go to a local gym to do a spinning class and sometimes encorporate
a session of weights before the class and also a day before a club run.
I only do one set of slow reps on each machine with as much weight as i can handle.
Was wondering whether it would impair doing weights so near to spinning or rides and whether that amount of weight training would effect if so
whats the best recovery period.

Trek Trauma Chris

I used to do heavy weight training, for some 20 yrs. When I came off the bike and ruptured my Rotator Cuff muscle, it required an opp to fix it, the surgeon who performed the opp said to me that the tendon was"mushy" (his word) and that he had to clean that up first, when I said that I was surprised considering the weight training I had done, he replied that, that was probably the cause of it. I now think after talking to him (he is also a cyclist, age about 35ish) that moderate/light weights 10-15 reps is the max to use. So my thought are moderate weight train (chest/ back)/ 25ml bike ride, next day 40-50 ml bike ride/ stomach work, rest day, mod weight train (shoulders/arms) 18-20 ml bike ride, next day 30-40 ml bike ride/lower back work, rest day, mod weight train (legs)/ 18 ml bike ride and repeat.;)

jimboalee

naffets said:
Hi,
After advice when is best to do weight training leg work
i go to a local gym to do a spinning class and sometimes encorporate
a session of weights before the class and also a day before a club run.
I only do one set of slow reps on each machine with as much weight as i can handle.
Was wondering whether it would impair doing weights so near to spinning or rides and whether that amount of weight training would effect if so
whats the best recovery period.

Bad idea.

'Single setting' to failure with BIG weights will cause muscle soreness due to minute strains deep in the fibres.
You do not want DOMS just as you are starting a bike ride with a bunch of mates.

A "POWER" session will need 48 hours to allow the muscles to recover and gain.
I do "POWER" sessions on Thursday evening. Friday I ride gentle. Saturday is a rest day and by Sunday, I'm gagging to go.

If I'm on a Saturday Audax, the "POWER" session will be brought forward to Tuesday.

Garz

Squat Member
Agreed, only do heavy sessions when you have enough days to recuperate. Some DOMS periods can last for three days, listen to your body and it should recover faster the longer you keep your routine up.

jimboalee

To help you stay in and recuperate, three vindaloos immediately after the power session does the business.

You'll be too scared to go cycling.

Top Bottom