Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Well, I’ve now paid the balance on the cottage hire so am now committed. We’re going to have to plan our journey carefully as the usual toilet stops will be off limits as will the usual cafe stop. Plus we’re going to have to buy all our food for the week here before we go, we’re going to do our best to avoid going into any shops at all while we’re away. Of course we’ll be avoiding cafes and restaurants too. We won’t even have to buy any fuel as the full tank will easily last the week. So that just leaves us with the midges to try to avoid. It’s a shame we won’t be contributing anything to the local economy but that’s the price to be paid for avoiding the local residents.

snorri

Legendary Member
We’re going to have to plan our journey carefully as the usual toilet stops will be off limits as will the usual cafe stop. Plus we’re going to have to buy all our food for the week here before we go, we’re going to do our best to avoid going into any shops at all while we’re away. Of course we’ll be avoiding cafes and restaurants too. We won’t even have to buy any fuel as the full tank will easily last the week. So that just leaves us with the midges to try to avoid. It’s a shame we won’t be contributing anything to the local economy but that’s the price to be paid for avoiding the local residents.
First you expressed concern that the locals might not be welcoming, now you express a determination not to give them the opportunity to welcome you:wacko:.

Sounds like a fun holiday...

Off to the Lakes in a few weeks and they seem to be welcoming business up there.

Just wear your masks in the shops and I don't see any issues ?

Sounds like a fun holiday...

Off to the Lakes in a few weeks and they seem to be welcoming business up there.

Just wear your masks in the shops and I don't see any issues ?
And try not to discard them on the fells 😏 On our regular walk up Old man Coniston we saw numerous masks littering the fells and pretty sure it’s not the Herdwicks doing it 😁

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Now back from our week in Speyside. Went out of our way to avoid locals and other holidaymakers. We spoke to only 3 locals during our stay, all 3 of them very welcoming but all 3 of them running businesses dependent on tourism. So we experienced nothing first hand of the ire that’s currently being referenced by countryside bodies and in the press reports.
One thing that did surprise us was how quiet Loch Morlich was when we were there on a Monday. This is one of the hotspots that’s generating a lot of anxiety in the local community. It had been heaving at the weekend and the same is feared today. Admittedly we didn’t touch the road side of it, we were on the opposite side. We were left thinking that the issue is largely with ‘roadside weekenders’ rather than week or more ‘holiday cottage staycationers’.

Slick

Guru
Now back from our week in Speyside. Went out of our way to avoid locals and other holidaymakers. We spoke to only 3 locals during our stay, all 3 of them very welcoming but all 3 of them running businesses dependent on tourism. So we experienced nothing first hand of the ire that’s currently being referenced by countryside bodies and in the press reports.
One thing that did surprise us was how quiet Loch Morlich was when we were there on a Monday. This is one of the hotspots that’s generating a lot of anxiety in the local community. It had been heaving at the weekend and the same is feared today. Admittedly we didn’t touch the road side of it, we were on the opposite side. We were left thinking that the issue is largely with ‘roadside weekenders’ rather than week or more ‘holiday cottage staycationers’.
Any links to those press reports that are causing concern? I haven't come across any myself, thanks. 👍

Slick

Guru
From your first link.

Peter Crane, head of visitor services at Cairngorms National Park Authority, said the national park was “very much open” but encouraged those who planned to visit to venture away from the most popular areas.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Again, a specific issue with wild camping. My brother is a cop and deals with issues like this all the time but nothing so far about locals not welcoming tourists. :okay:
Well that rather depends on your definition of ‘tourist’ doesn’t it ? There is certainly a big issue with roadside camping this year, both tents and camper vans.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I notice that two weeks on from the much reported ‘border incident’, the letters page of The Scotsman is still debating how to recognise English cars. Fortunately our car displays no clues as to my nationality so we should be ok in that regard. Nor is it a motor home. The vulnerability for us is whilst it is parked in the drive of what the locals will know is a holiday home.

This alone ensures I shall not be going north of the border.

Top Bottom