what airbed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aqaleigh

hi

i am thinking its a good idea to take a self inflating airbed for my tour instead of just a roll - can anyone recommend a light, easy to use and not too expensive bed?

willem

Über Member
Light, comfortable, cheap - pick any two. I am not so young anymore, and was dispointed by the comfort of the 1.5 inch Thermarest. After a few years, I bought a 2 inch, and it was a bit better. Still, if the ground is hard, it is tough on your back. So I am now hesitating between two new(ish) mattresses: the new 2009 version of the Exped downmat (in 7 cm regular size, so as not to make it too heavy). It is about 900 grams. Its biggest advantage is that it is filled with down, and thus had superb insulation quality (my current Thermarest is cold at sub zero temteratures). My hesitations concern the weight, and reported quality issues with the previous model of this mat. The alternative would be the new (May? 2009) and ultralight plus compact 6.3 cm Thermarest NeoAir, at just over 400 gram for a regular size. It has an R=2.5, so it insulates, but not as well as the Downmat.
If you want cheap because you don't really know what you want, and want to find out first, try to find a second hand Thermarest (they are good quality) - plenty of those around.
Willem

ASC1951

Guru
Do a search of the forum on this - IIRC some members had found products that were nearly as good as the Thermarest and much cheaper.

Cromcruaich

Seconded on the alpkit ones - ive got both a thermarest prolite 3 and an alpkit aric. No difference in comfort at all, but the aric comes with a more practical compression sack and compression straps and is significantly cheaper.

The thermarest prolites are a bit of a pain packing up - theyve gone a bit hardcore on the compression size.

P.H

Über Member
Cheap can be good, but don't compromise comfort, if you don't get enough sleep you won't enjoy your tour however much money you've saved. I changed from a self inflating thermarest to an insulated air bed a couple of years ago, I wouldn't go back, there's no comparison in comfort, I thought the thermarest was OK but on the airbed I sleep as well as I do at home.
You don't say when and where you're going, a non insulated air bed might be suitable. I have a Big Agnes Insulated pad, It uses synthetic insulation, blows up by mouth, is rated to -10 and I've used it with frost on the ground without problem. it's not available from any UK dealer but easily imported from the US via several Ebay dealers like this one;
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Outfitter-at-Harpers-Ferry

Mine cost £48 inc P&P, it didn't attract the attention of customs which might not always be the case.

Cromcruaich

Aye, though to be honest being comfortable on a self inflator is partially a state of mind - after a few sessions on it i found it fine after being initially apprehensive - if youve got the space i'd go for a standard size if you are atall worried - it is more comfy compared to something with a prolite 3 profile. Other thing is that at the price of the alpkit stuff, having a couple of versions ain't gonna break tha bank.

Few tricks to it as well - its amazing the difference picking your pitch can make and also I stick whatever bits ive got lieing around (clothes, coat, stuff bags, hats gloves etc etc) under the torso if its hard ground.

andygates

Thermarest Ultralight for me. Thermarests are firm but most important they are WARM. My stuff is geared toward pack size, so the skinny little one has served me well over the last 8 years and is still going.

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

thanks for all the advice so far - i'm checking out all the various recommendations - the trip is in july/aug through france and spain ( sorry forgot to mention )

cheers and anymore advice is still welcome as i have not made a decision yet

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

WOW - just checked out the balloon bed - what a mad bit of kit - i think i want something slightly more substantial as my trip will be 2 weeks

thanks again

willem

Über Member
Yes that balloon bed is weird indeed. Otherwise, I can only repeat what I have said earlier: comfort matters, and I have been a bit disappointed by the comfort provided even by 2 inch Thermarest mattresses. And in the Swiss Alps I have been cold. I would not buy a new selfinflatable anymore, since I think the technology has been overtaken by on the one hand the new NeoAir reflective air mattress technology at the lighter end, and down or otherwise filled air mattresses at the heavier cold duty end. Both are also more compact.
Willem

jay clock

Massive member
I had a Thermarest Prolite 4 and used it when I was in NZ. I am heavy (90kg ) and sleep on my side, and found it only just about bearable but spent several nights in hostels etc to avoid the discomfort. I have now bought an Exped Downmat 7 ( I think that is the model) and used it one night on the floor to test it out and it is massively better than the Thermarest. Reviews seem pretty good too

Cromcruaich

Think those balloon beds taking things a step to far - they are gaining popularity wwith the mountain marathon crowd - but if you're carry any extra weight on your frame as it were then you're gonna need a lot of spare balloons! :blush:

Top Bottom