What bike to replace my dead hybrid commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I used to work with someone whose bike developed a crack around the seatpost collar, he got it welded at a local machinists and aside from the missing paint it was almost impossible to tell where the crack had been.

Aluminium is more difficult to successfully weld than steel, less people can do it and less have the right equipment. Unless you have the gear, or know someone who will do it for a drink, repairing cracked ali on a relatively cheap bike is unlikely to be economic to do.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Aluminium is more difficult to successfully weld than steel, less people can do it and less have the right equipment. Unless you have the gear, or know someone who will do it for a drink, repairing cracked ali on a relatively cheap bike is unlikely to be economic to do.
This^^

I'm not going to bugger about trying to get an aluminium frame welded. The crack is in a casting at the rear drop outs so not a good place to be poking around anyway.

upload_2018-9-22_9-6-40.png

upload_2018-9-22_9-14-24.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have you got that lovely Kona yet?
Bugger!

Just hit a problem at the finish line!

Discussed ordering the Kona with Mrs Skol last night. She asked the obvious question of 'How much is it?'

I replied that she really shouldn't ask that question, but she insisted and only winced when I told her. I had been half expecting a full on row with 'that's madness' and you can't spend that much on 'another' bike.

So matrimonial deal has been done. I sat down at the computer this morning, bank card in hand, ready to order the Wheelhouse for £1350. I still think it is a stupid amount of money to spend for a commuter, no matter how nice it is, so decided to have one last look around (I know :thumbsdown:).
THIS thread led me to a Cube SL road that would suffice with some of my old bits swapped over, but only six year warranty on frame so not good enough. I then looked a bit further as I really want lifetime frame warranty and found Trek offer this and then found I can get a 2018 FX2 disc in my size for only £360. I can then swap in my own wheels, chainset & 9spd drivetrain, Shimano XT brakes plus a few other bits and pieces and sell off all the new take off parts so should easily be back on the road for less than £300 with a warrantied frame. I know the Kona will be far nicer to ride but then again, the Gt hybrid was never expected to be any good, but it was/is.

What do I do? My head says get the Trek and save a pile of cash and just get on with riding a bl00dy bike you fairy! My heart says get the Kona and smile everytime you look at it, everytime you ride it and besides, it's only money, you can't take it with you when you die.

I am going to order a bike today, I just need another couple of hours to mull it over

si_c

Guru
Ahem. Get both?

avsd

Guru
I think the lack of a " full on row" and the "matrimonial deal" is all the advice you need. The person nearest to you knows you enjoy your cycling and it is a large part of your daily life. Buy the Kona, enjoy it and get some flowers/chocolates for the "boss" :-)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What do I do? My head says get the Trek and save a pile of cash and just get on with riding a bl00dy bike you fairy! My heart says get the Kona and smile everytime you look at it, everytime you ride it and besides, it's only money, you can't take it with you when you die.

A commuter doesn't need to make you smile, it just needs to get you to work. You're considering spending a shed load of cash on something that is going to get ridden in all weathers, will suffer much more wear & tear than a hobby bike, and has more chance of getting stolen or written off in an accident. I don't see any benefit whatsoever in spending a penny more than necessary on a utility hack. If you want something nice to wash and polish at the weekend, that's an entirely different thing, but for going to work on it's overkill..

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A commuter doesn't need to make you smile, it just needs to get you to work. You're considering spending a shed load of cash on something that is going to get ridden in all weathers, will suffer much more wear & tear than a hobby bike, and has more chance of getting stolen or written off in an accident. I don't see any benefit whatsoever in spending a penny more than necessary on a utility hack. If you want something nice to wash and polish at the weekend, that's an entirely different thing, but for going to work on it's overkill..
Anything that makes you smile and ride is not and never will be over kill...........every human thinks differently. Learn that and you may make more friends

Top Bottom