What can I wear to keep chest area warm cycling at -1 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wear a cheap polyester vest and a merino one over it, as well as a jersey, fleece and jacket. Why suffer? I've yet to find a way of keeping feet warm.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Extremities are the worst to keep warm - especially feet

The good thing about being an MTB'er is that I can wear big thick snow boots, which keep me toastie, not matter what the weather.

I don't know how any of you road guys manage. I have tried overshoes myself, I don't find them that good in the colder days

Ciar

Veteran
Extremities are the worst to keep warm - especially feet

The good thing about being an MTB'er is that I can wear big thick snow boots, which keep me toastie, not matter what the weather.

I don't know how any of you road guys manage. I have tried overshoes myself, I don't find them that good in the colder days

MTB myself but i commute on a road bike wearing a pair of Northwave Celsius MTB booties, they keep your feet toasty with a pair of merino socks :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Merino base layer.
Regular cycle winter jacket, Roubaix lined.
Windstopper top with dense stretchy fabric.
Shorts.
Roubaix tights.
Neoprene overshoes over regular shoes.
Insulated gloves.
Buff.

= happiness.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have Just put money down on a 'endura flipjak gilet'

endura-flipjak-gilet-black-EV266206-8500-1.jpg

If you prefer something more racey they also do a slimmer more athletic fit version - 'Endura Pro SL PrimaLoft Gilet'

endura-fs260pro-sl-primaloft-gilet-black-EV282529-8500-1.jpg

Moodyman

Legendary Member
3 layers:

Thermal base layer, medium weight fleece with a windproof outer jacket.

Fleece is also great at wicking moisture.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
At that temperature I find sweating isn't a problem.
Realised I didn't need a 'technical' base layer so I just wear a cotton t-shirt instead.

T-shirt, long sleeved cycling jersey, softshell jacket from aldi and bibtights (decathlon 500 'warm') do the trick for me for a 70 minute commute on a heavy mountain bike.

Winter gloves (Aldi) and a buff are useful.
Cold feet though.

Tin Pot

Guru
My bib tights have an open design across the chest area. My chest feels cold even wearing my warmest jumper. View attachment 386979

I tried my padded hi-viz jacket (same as traffic officers wear) and I was as warm as toast.

What do you guys wear to specifically keep the chest area warm? The hi viz jacket is a little cumbersome on longer rides.

Castelli

They have wind proof fronts, and porous back to let the heat out.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I don't see anything other than the soft southern jessies debating
The OP is from Rotherham. Go figure! as our American cousins are wont to emote.
OP; merino next to the skin is the answer. Not cotton, as someone would have it. Get cotton wet with sweat, it's cold. Wool stays warm when wet. If you get very cold, a Woolpower layer first.
Only good use for a spent Daily Mail too, down the front.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Using even inexpensive layers (base layer, plus Merino layer, Aldi), my body is seldom if ever cold, wish I could say the same for my hands!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My bib tights have an open design across the chest area. My chest feels cold even wearing my warmest jumper. View attachment 386979

I tried my padded hi-viz jacket (same as traffic officers wear) and I was as warm as toast.

What do you guys wear to specifically keep the chest area warm? The hi viz jacket is a little cumbersome on longer rides.
Unhelpful answer: Strap a hot water bottle to your chest
Helpful answer: Plenty of layers. When really cold I wear base layer, thermal jersey and thick winter jacket. That usually does the trick.

Top Bottom