What can I wear to keep chest area warm cycling at -1 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Rotherham IS in the South, well, OK, maybe the Midlands ;)

You are from the south yourself. It is even in the first part of your location.

[QUOTE="woodenspoons, post: 5076641,
OP; merino next to the skin is the answer. .[/QUOTE]

Ok.I will look for a Merino base layer. Also, I Merino Gilet/body warmer sounds like it would be a big help if they do such a thing?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Feet- best way I have ever found is just before the ride, use hairdryer to thoroughly warm feet, inside of socks and inside of cycling shoes. That method has never failed for me.
For anything other than the shortest rides, I think I'd need to barbeque mine with one of these.....
Power-fire-compact-main.jpg

A must for your cycling wardrobe is a good quailty wicking base layer such as Craft. Took me a while to learn this as I would always say "How much?".

I you wait for a sale you can pick quality brands up for about £15/20. I have have a couple with with wind protection. A MAY ZING

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Feet- best way I have ever found is just before the ride, use hairdryer to thoroughly warm feet, inside of socks and inside of cycling shoes. That method has never failed for me.

A tip I read about is to wrap your feet in tin foil before putting your shoes on. Wrap the foil shiny side inside and it will reflect the heat your feet give off back to your feet keeping them toasty warm.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The OP is from Rotherham. Go figure! as our American cousins are wont to emote.
OP; merino next to the skin is the answer. Not cotton, as someone would have it. Get cotton wet with sweat, it's cold. Wool stays warm when wet. If you get very cold, a Woolpower layer first.
Only good use for a spent Daily Mail too, down the front.

Daily Mail would also be perfect, given its content, if you get caught short and need a number 2

Ajax Bay

Guru
A tip I read about is to wrap your feet in tin foil before putting your shoes on. Wrap the foil shiny side inside and it will reflect the heat your feet give off back to your feet keeping them toasty warm.
But have you tried this? Wouldn't the tin foil improve the heat conductivity, conducting heat away from each foot., and increase sweat levels at the toes, and be less comfortable?
Chest warmth = layers; thin ones. Trick is to avoid overheating and some of the clothing lists above imply minimal body heat generation by very slow riding - riders are different and a bit of experimentation should provide the experience required.
My preference for feet (inside merino socks) is to use 'Hot Hands' foot warmer insoles below the insole. These offer a slow release of heat for about 5 hours (ime) in an 'oxygen restricted' environment (ie no vents in winter boots) and do not interfere with the boot/insole fit. If it warms up (say at midday) they can be removed and disposed of.

Top Bottom