What can I wear to keep chest area warm cycling at -1 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Last weekend I did nearly 13 hours on the bike in average -2’c, minimum -6’c. I wore a l/s merino shirt, a l/s merino cycling jersey, a thin fleece and a waterproof cycling jacket with the vents open.

On my feet I wore overshoes and I wore a pair of my thin work gloves under my cycling gloves. This worked quite well. In case I warmed up, I would have taken off the jacket and replaced it with a thin Gilet to keep the wind from chilling my vital organs.

I also have a pair of waterproof, almost ski type gloves, but these don’t work well with brifters I find. Fine with trigger and bar end shifters.

Jody

Stubborn git
Feet- best way I have ever found is just before the ride, use hairdryer to thoroughly warm feet, inside of socks and inside of cycling shoes. That method has never failed for me.

I put mine on top of the fire half an hour before they are needed.

normgow

Guru
A copy of the Daily Mail. The second most useful thing you can do with it.

Yes even the Daily Mail has some uses. Another old school solution is brown paper, fairly thick sort used for packages, folded into the necessary square or oblong and tucked under the braces part of your bib. If you turn out of the wind or are going uphill the paper can then be slid under an armpit and then slid back into position for the next descent.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
1st layer - Windproof base layer from either craft, gore or castelli
2nd layer - thermal long sleeve jersey
3rd layer - Gilet or a softshell jacket to replace layers 2 and 3

thermal gloves, buff and northwave mtb winter boots for me ( hate boot/shoe covers)

freiston

Veteran
I go for layers too - merino base layer (long sleeved t-shirt/underwear stylee) with a mid layer and outer. The mid layer depends to an extent on what outer layer I wear and also on the duration/level of activity. Wet weather usually means a waterproof outer layer and so I might wear something a bit more substantial in the middle due to the waterproof layer being light on insulation - otherwise I have an Aldi winter jacket from a few years ago which has an extremely breathable back panel and a completely windproof front panel. If I'm going to be taking breaks or stopping and starting a lot, I might take an extra garment to wear when not active - such as a feather/down jacket that scrunches up small in a bag.

Sometimes for short rides/utility riding, I will just wear my usual clothes and make sure I don't work too much of a sweat up.

si_c

Guru
Long sleeve merino base layer, long sleeve fleece lined jersey, generally does the job. Was certainly warm enough at -5° on Monday.

A must for your cycling wardrobe is a good quailty wicking base layer such as Craft. Took me a while to learn this as I would always say "How much?".

I you wait for a sale you can pick quality brands up for about £15/20. I have have a couple with with wind protection. A MAY ZING

Thanks for this heads-up Turdus. Winter gear sale tends to be in spring and summer gear sale tends to be Autumn. Any idea when these all season type base layers tend to be in a sale?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for this heads-up Turdus. Winter gear sale tends to be in spring and summer gear sale tends to be Autumn. Any idea when these all season type base layers tend to be in a sale?
all year round :smile:

Sign up to Sport Pursuit, they have some good sales on sportswear (although you may have to wait a while for the sale to finish and dispatch to happen)

Craft winter ones are £20 a wiggle, half price
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-active-extreme-20-cn-long-sleeve-baselayer/

My favourite winter base layer is the one I have with a wind proof panel I can only wear it down here on the coldest days though so its not been on this year so far.
KLaB-I like idea of the wind proof panel. Do you recall what brand it is?

all year round :smile:

Sign up to Sport Pursuit, they have some good sales on sportswear (although you may have to wait a while for the sale to finish and dispatch to happen)

Craft winter ones are £20 a wiggle, half price
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-active-extreme-20-cn-long-sleeve-baselayer/

Thanks for the wiggle link Vickster. I wanted to order one of them but the guy on the online chat session said they do not take orders over the phone (online only) :banghead: I will order the same item from a different suppler. I don't want the faf of signing up to yet another online company. Thank you for your help. I will certainly buy one even if I have to pay a few quid more than Wiggle. :hugs:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The guy said I can't. I asked him for an alternative No to the rip off 0843 number-he said they are only set up for online orders.
I'm not sure what the issue is, you just need to fill in an online form, then you never need hear from them again. Just decline to be contacted and delete the account once the good have arrived and you have decided to keep

Otherwise Evans pricematch wiggle and you can do it all over the phone, Uk number
+44 (0) 1293 574 900

https://www.evanscycles.com/craft-a...MIjvHHzpaM2AIVjr3tCh0tFQifEAQYASABEgKPH_D_BwE

https://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom