What does your bike tell us about you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
This sounds like something that's been done, but has it? (It has.) Nevertheless I'm giving the question a fresh airing.

As such an exercise may prove uncomfortable to volunteers, this thread is naturally a less Safe Place than Shameful admissions. However, a combination of The Queensbury & Rocky Rules, The Golden Rule, the code of conduct governing group psychotherapy sessions, and Shaun's Maxims should, out of a sense of decency, still apply: No low blows or sucker punches. You aren't entitled to comment on someone & theirs unless you've put you & yours out there first. Freudians should refrain from telling Jungians with whom they heatedly disagree to go frak themselves (and vice versa, though this is less likely to happen).

bike900.jpg

click to approach, like you want to take it for a spin

Much as I wish this was a beautiful, artfully lit and bokehlicious portrait of my beloved (I don't actually call it that, though it is), it's a lowly snapshot with a bucolic yet far too busy background. Sticklers for convention will want to see the chainring side, so this is for them:

suginoRD2v.jpg

Your choice of saddlebag and contents may help others to draw conclusions, if the bike in question proves too much of a blank canvas.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That I'm a lazy so and so that ought to give it some TLC! And that I don't want to leave it as it left the shop.... It has to be mine! So it has different pedals, headset and an odd collection of stickers.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Depends on which bike.

If you saw my everyday bike ( Spech Expedition ) after some of you fanatical fettlers had recovered from your seizures would probably think "lacks attention to detail "

If you saw my road bike( Spech Dolce ) you would probably think " seriously giving this road lark a go , not bad for a beginner and keeps her chain clean"

If you saw my tourer ( Ridgeback Voyage ) you would probably think " likes shiny thingsbut should have got the Panorama " because it's still virginal and new.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Good point. If you show them all of the above, there will be much more material to work with. You get to choose how much; it depends how comprehensive a reading you want.

DSC_0069.JPG

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Thinking about it mine reflect most of my school reports

" if only she would concentrate she could go far "

Except Mrs Barton 1976 who said " she will come to nothing if she can't learn to knit "

That womans comments have scarred me for life.
''Marmoset has spent a sixth form career fraught with idleness and insouciance'' - That was the opening sentence and it didn't get any better...

Anyhow, back to bikes: they tend to look like they were cleaned and washed about 2 weeks ago. So sort of lived in, with scuffed and frayed bits but serviceable. Or is that just how I feel?

I have perhaps the untidiest bar tape in SE London and a couple of bikes have rather idiosyncratic cable routing. This is my general ''can't be fussed'' influence.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Would my bike agree with my school report which said "shows active disinterest". I really hope not as I upped my cleaning regime substantially after recent filth related failure of components.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This sounds like something that's been done, but has it? (It has.) Nevertheless I'm giving the question a fresh airing.

As such an exercise may prove uncomfortable to volunteers, this thread is naturally a less Safe Place than Shameful admissions. However, a combination of The Queensbury & Rocky Rules, The Golden Rule, the code of conduct governing group psychotherapy sessions, and Shaun's Maxims should, out of a sense of decency, still apply: No low blows or sucker punches. You aren't entitled to comment on someone & theirs unless you've put you & yours out there first. Freudians should refrain from telling Jungians with whom they heatedly disagree to go frak themselves (and vice versa, though this is less likely to happen).

View attachment 93470
click to approach, like you want to take it for a spin

Much as I wish this was a beautiful, artfully lit and bokehlicious portrait of my beloved (I don't actually call it that, though it is), it's a lowly snapshot with a bucolic yet far too busy background. Sticklers for convention will want to see the chainring side, so this is for them:

View attachment 93471

Your choice of saddlebag and contents may help others to draw conclusions, if the bike in question proves too much of a blank canvas.
Your bike tells me you're a wimp for having a back brake with a fixed wheel. Shame on you, sir.

And if it isn't a fixed wheel it should be. Single freewheels have no place on a road bike.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Have been eyeing @mickle's cruiser. Initial thoughts: Fat tyred bikes you make the roadie smile upside-down.
''Marmoset has spent a sixth form career fraught with idleness and insouciance'' - That was the opening sentence and it didn't get any better....

As someone with a lisp, "insouciance" has caused difficulty all my life.

they tend to look like they were cleaned and washed about 2 weeks ago. So sort of lived in, with scuffed and frayed bits but serviceable. Or is that just how I feel?
If you're not of the middle ages, you've been partying too hard.
I upped my cleaning regime substantially after recent filth related failure of components.
Too much time in the dogging lane?

dogging.gif

Your bike tells me you're a wimp for having a back brake with a fixed wheel. Shame on you, sir. And if it isn't a fixed wheel it should be. Single freewheels have no place on a road bike.
It's freewheel. That's the way I roll.

You' haven't posted a pic of yours first as per the guidelines above, so I'll just have to make a guess, a generic quote lifted from a standard reference work:
Fixed-gear. Control freaks
Anybody who feels the need to pedal every single inch should not be trusted with a bike. It is a sign of fanaticism. They consider themselves to be an elite force, and will often parachute into freewheeling conversations on missions to propagate their notions of purity…

Last edited:
Top Bottom