What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Mindscape, thriller starring the unshaveable Mark Strong with Taissa Farmiga and Brian Cox. Pretty decent effort as far as mind reading detective thrillers go, actually is was good, I like Strong Cox so to speak.

AndyRM

XOXO
Jurassic Park - 9/10

One of my all time favourites, despite painting a completely inaccurate picture of what dinosaurs were actually like (I was only 7 when I first saw it and didn't care, but it must have infuriated paleontologists). There's not really anything I dislike, and it's really stood the test of time visually which Spielberg and Winston deserve a great deal of credit for. Really well written too, and everyone looks like they're having great fun, and the soundtrack is brilliant.

I've downgraded my rating for Jurassic World to 4, it's good, but it's not right.

AndyRM

XOXO
Taken 3 - (under duress) and i'll never get those two hours back. 5/10

I will never understand the appeal of the Taken franchise.

I only saw the first one recently and thought it was average at best. When I saw the second had gone down to a 15 I had my suspicions and the kids rating for the latest confirmed them. Same with The Expendables. And Die Hard's new ones.

I don't think 'modern' action films are for me really, now that I've realised they're just in it for the money. Sure, the olden dayes ones were too, but at least they made an effort to entertain I think, but studios now seem to think that some explosions and a half naked woman can plaster over the cracks of a plot that makes no sense, knowing that teenage boys will still pay to see it.

Look at the difference between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Raiders is believable and that's why it works so very well. Kingdom loses you as soon as Indy survives a nuclear blast in a fridge: a normal bomb I could accept, but a nuclear one? No. I'm not having that.

Perhaps I'm finally losing my naivety. At 29. It's all downhill from here, innit?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I watched "Van Helsing".

Not quite as bad as I was expecting, but not good either.

Inconsistent internally, cavalier with the mythos of the creatures in it, too bloody long, and Kate Beckinsale's costumer seems to have gone for "S&M Flamenco Guitarist" as a design prompt.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Un prophète - a great French film from a few years back that I'd never heard of. Brutal. But also quite subtle. Reminded me of La haine. No-one does gritty bleak modernity quite like the French.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Un prophète - a great French film from a few years back that I'd never heard of. Brutal. But also quite subtle. Reminded me of La haine. No-one does gritty bleak modernity quite like the French.

That's been on my dvr for a while now along with the two Mesrine films. Must watch them soon... By the way, La Haine is 20 years old this year. Makes me feel old that does.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The calling starring Susan Sarendon. Thriller about a serial killer. Not bad. 7/10. A bit slow, but with a twist at the end.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
We Need to Talk About Kevin.
Specifically, let's talk about how we're going to wean him from his love of archery and redirect his energies to splatter art, for which he has shown a nascent talent.

splatter.jpg

For gods sake, don't keep lychee in the house. Never have I been so turned off by the simple peeling and eating of a fruit. (Prot in K-Pax managed to eat an unpeeled banana without making me feel the slightest bit queasy.)

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
For gods sake, don't keep lychee in the house. Never have I been so turned off by the simple peeling and eating of a fruit. (Prot in K-Pax managed to eat an unpeeled banana without making me feel the slightest bit queasy.)

I like to remove the top, like a boiled egg, so it looks like a little brain, then slowly squeeze it free of the skin like an emerging alien. I'm not allowed to eat lychees in the house very often...

Also, Hell Ride, free on Prime, more Tarantino backed grindhouse and utter tosh. We spent the whole time wondering why and then the denouement made almost no sense at all.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 3760900, member: 259"]Diva - wacky French thriller from 1981, which I actually saw in France when it first came out, but didn't understand much of it and was too busy snogging anyway. There's a bloke on a moped in Paris and an opera singer. 9/10 for the first ten minutes, but now the sodding DVD's stuck![/QUOTE]
Cracking film is Diva. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
[QUOTE 3761792, member: 259"]It's a bit scratched. I took it back to the rental shop and they're going to clean it and see if they can clean it up.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure those are words you should be typing this far in to the century?
I know where my nearest closed down Blockbusters is, but an actual rental shop...

Top Bottom