What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Valerian. I think it was the most expensive film ever made by the French? And clearly the worst film ever made by ANYONE ever. It was a complete flop and i can see why. Quite possibly even worse than Aquaman and that would take some going. 1/10.

Mrs M

Guru
Extremely evil, shockingly evil and vile.
Great performance by Zac Efron, looks so like Bundy.
Read about Bundy and his horrific crimes years ago.
Difficult to tell them apart at the end of the film.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Valerian. I think it was the most expensive film ever made by the French? And clearly the worst film ever made by ANYONE ever. It was a complete flop and i can see why. Quite possibly even worse than Aquaman and that would take some going. 1/10.

Is this the Luc Besson film? I’ve never heard of it until reading your post, had a look at the trailer on imdb , it looks visually spectacular.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

i think that is a tad harsh. Whilst it is a disappointment compared to the joy of fifth element I did enjoy Valerian and even the most grumpy critic would concede it was wonderful to look at and enjoyable to watch. The disappointment was how much better it could have been and how poor the chemistry between the leads was.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I was disappointed by Valerian too. Luc Besson's films are usually very good - La Femme Nikita, The Fifth Element, Leon: The Professional; but Valerian, no. The acting wasn't great and there was too much reliance on VFX and CGI.

My son sent us the dvd of Bohemian Rhapsody. Watched it last night.
Fabulous.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Snowpiercer (Netflix)

At last, the film about the only surviving humans on the earth careering about its surface in a train comes to streaming. I liked this a lot - it's quite high concept, but has some terrific performances (Tilda Swinton in particular) and the eventual revolution of the train's put upon lower classes is ingenious. I think the film raises some interesting questions towards the end around whether its better to survive, even if the cost is a loss of humanity's better traits, about whether social division is inevitable &c. I couldn't help being reminded of the likes of Elon Musk et al and their plans for Martian colonies, at times.

Anyway, it works pretty well as a sci-fi actioner if you're not the chin strokey type, with some pretty spectacular visuals & production design.

Fast and Furious 8: The Fate of the Furious (Netflix)

More defying of the laws of physics, and slightly incomprehensible use of very fast cars for things (when all you have is a very fast hammer...) This latest instalment definitely feels the loss of Paul Walker (although there seems to be a new character who's being groomed for his role in the team) but the other stuff (lots of gravelly talk about family, a street race before we get into the not so serious business of thwarting international cyber terrorism (no, really)) you'd recognise from prior instalments is all present and correct. For my money, it doesn't hit the high point of the safe chase in 5, Gia Carano in 6, or Walker's departure in 7, but for all that, Statham is great as the goodie who's a baddie, Charlize Theron is terrific as the villain, and in general, the whole thing is daftly appealing enough for me, thanks.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I’m curious about it now, I’ll see if can get in the bargain rack.
I watched half of Valerian a while back. It didn't strike me as awful but couldn't commit to a whole film at that moment. Beson has made some clangers but this didn't seem like one of them and i do intend watching it fully one day. His triumphs, on the other hand take some beating.

Which reminds me, I must watch The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec again... a wonderful film from start to finish.

Top Bottom