What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
UK Subs yesterday:

IMG_0722.JPG

clid61

Veteran
I love those guys. Never seen them live sadly!
Stick em at top of your list , not to be missed

clid61

Veteran
I could bore you all , but I wont , my son is on tour in US and Canada support to mayday parade . Google milestones and milestones Uk , depending on wether twitter instagram or Facebook. They're living the dream , my son is yeslikethegardenof of twitter and instagram

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I saw Bob Dylan last week, although not a word was spake from Bob to us mortals he did seem to be enjoying himself. I really like his standards LP's and that was most of what he played. The problem for me was the venue, the nearest tickets I could get, at face value, were at a (small) stadium in Nottingham, it was without atmosphere and as there was a bar people were walking about the whole time to the bar and the khazi, can't they sit down for a couple of hours ferchristssake! The show would've been great in a speakeasy.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I saw Bob Dylan last week, although not a word was spake from Bob to us mortals he did seem to be enjoying himself. I really like his standards LP's and that was most of what he played. The problem for me was the venue, the nearest tickets I could get, at face value, were at a (small) stadium in Nottingham, it was without atmosphere and as there was a bar people were walking about the whole time to the bar and the khazi, can't they sit down for a couple of hours ferchristssake! The show would've been great in a speakeasy.

Can't understand this at all. Last year at a Stereophonics gig while they were on I saw a bloke exiting. I timed him. 20 minutes.
Can't see why you would pay to see something and then choose to stand in a queue not seeing the thing you payed to see! He got some over priced beer though.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
@Chromatic would be proud of my achievement here.

My BiL (life long prog rock fan) is staying this weekend and he's coordinated his visit with a Steve Hackett gig in Oxford, he bought a spare ticket for his sister (she's not a fan but tolerates prog, as it's him), unfortunately Mrs 3BM then had to go to work unexpectedly so muggins had to step in as the shotgun rider. I've never had any live prog rock experience before and on LP I've always managed to avoid it. Hackett played a first half of solo stuff and then did some early Genesis, he left in the late 70s so there was none of that Phil Collins singing era when they occasionally had something resembling a tune even if it was a shite one. So it was basically two hours of w@nkfest twiddly guitar stuff, constantly changing rhythms, singing about making cups of tea and stuff, unnecessarily long songs and flute solos. The place was packed and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I like different stuff; rock n roll, country, even the odd bit of jazz but this was something else.

So hats off to you progsters, you really know how to suffer for your 'art'.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

My BiL (life long prog rock fan) is staying this weekend and he's coordinated his visit with a Steve Hackett gig in Oxford, he bought a spare ticket for his sister (she's not a fan but tolerates prog, as it's him), unfortunately Mrs 3BM then had to go to work unexpectedly so muggins had to step in as the shotgun rider. I've never had any live prog rock experience before and on LP I've always managed to avoid it. Hackett played a first half of solo stuff and then did some early Genesis, he left in the late 70s so there was none of that Phil Collins singing era when they occasionally had something resembling a tune. So it was basically two hours of w@nkfest twiddly guitar stuff, constantly changing rhythms, singing about making cups of tea and stuff, unnecessarily long songs and flute solos. The place was packed and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I like different stuff; rock n roll, country, even the odd bit of jazz but this was something else.

I suffered when Steve Hillage played at 'Off The Tracks' one year so I feel your pain.

TVC

My BiL (life long prog rock fan) is staying this weekend and he's coordinated his visit with a Steve Hackett gig in Oxford, he bought a spare ticket for his sister (she's not a fan but tolerates prog, as it's him), unfortunately Mrs 3BM then had to go to work unexpectedly so muggins had to step in as the shotgun rider. I've never had any live prog rock experience before and on LP I've always managed to avoid it. Hackett played a first half of solo stuff and then did some early Genesis, he left in the late 70s so there was none of that Phil Collins singing era when they occasionally had something resembling a tune even if it was a shite one. So it was basically two hours of w@nkfest twiddly guitar stuff, constantly changing rhythms, singing about making cups of tea and stuff, unnecessarily long songs and flute solos. The place was packed and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I like different stuff; rock n roll, country, even the odd bit of jazz but this was something else.

It was like that when I was given tickets to see King Crimson, absolute disjointed twaddle. At one point I swear everyone on stage were each playing a different song. Some in the audience were clapping and whooping at any point it looked like they might finally decide to end a tune (tune?). I didn't get it, and we didn't bother boing back in for the second half.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

All too reminiscent of Brian Pern and Thotch. Though probably less funny.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Leftfield at Brixton Academy. Hopefully not bringing plaster down from the ceiling this time!
No masonry was harmed at this show. Damn fine gig. The Leftism album in full- no other material, most tracks in extended version so a full 90+ minutes. Guest vocals from either the original collaborators or excellent stand-ins. Apart from Open Up that is- no-one could replace Mr Lydon, so his vocals were off tape with footage from the video.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It was like that when I was given tickets to see King Crimson, absolute disjointed twaddle. At one point I swear everyone on stage were each playing a different song. Some in the audience were clapping and whooping at any point it looked like they might finally decide to end a tune (tune?). I didn't get it, and we didn't bother boing back in for the second half.
Similar to a gig I went to in De-Montfort Hall Gardens, headline acts were The Enid and John Otway but after The Enid finished the MC came on stage to announce that Otway wouldn't be there as his van had broken down but he said "The Enid have agreed to do a 2nd set"

We left

View: https://youtu.be/6NENYunMB8Q

Reactions: TVC
D

Deleted member 1258

Buddy Holly the legend at the Albany Theatre featuring Marc Robinson as Buddy Holly and Darren Paige as Roy Orbison, a cracking night of 1950's and early 1960's music, the backing band were excellent, lead guitar, double bass, keyboards and drums. The theatre was three quarters full and a lot of the audience spent most of the time dancing in front of the stage, or in the aisle, and most of the rest of us were dancing in our seats.

Chromatic

Legendary Member

Heroic sacrifice there @threebikesmcginty , but I too would have felt your pain, Genesis were indeed utter crap and going to see anything associated with them was the big mistake. Next time try Yes, that would be infinitely better!
I assume even the brewdog punk didn't make the evening endurable?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Heroic sacrifice there @threebikesmcginty , but I too would have felt your pain, Genesis were indeed utter crap and going to see anything associated with them was the big mistake. Next time try Yes, that would be infinitely better!
I assume even the brewdog punk didn't make the evening endurable?

I'm surprised you don't like Steve Hackett, he seemed shite enough to be your kind of thing.

No, it would have taken some amount of Punk IPA to have done that...

Top Bottom