What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Lady Antebellum last Saturday in Glasgow - flippin marvellously marvellous. One of the supports acts was Brett Young who performed a splendid acoustic set - ace up and coming next generation country. 2nd support act (Kelsea Ballerini) was a wee bit up her own posterior for my liking. Her band were outstanding, especially the drummer.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hiroshima Twinkie followed by Hawkmen Dive at Lancaster Castle on Friday evening. (both local bands)
Du Gomide (indie pop from Brazil) followed by the amazing Uptown Monotones (acoustic beatbox funk from Austria), then J and the 9s (poppy punk from New York) and Tia Brazda (swing from Toronto) at Lancaster Castle on Saturday afternoon/evening.
The amazing Uptown Monotones again at the Gregson Centre, Lancaster on Saturday night.

Yes... there's a music festival going on, and with 46 venues and one pair of ears, it's not easy deciding who to see and who to miss.

Off to see EZXP this afternoon, a local band who play video game music, sounds interesting. Then (after a couple of hours at work) festival favourites for the last few years, The Lumberjack Cowboy Heartbreak Trucking Company tonight. Got the whole day off tomorrow and the last day of the festival... no idea where I'll be or who I'll see.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
DJ Shadow at the Roundhouse last night. Splendid show.
A few years back, there was a band called Introducing doing a tour, performing DJ Shadow's Endtroducing absolutely live... an interesting idea since Entroducing is in the Guinness book of records for being the first LP composed entirely of samples. The drummer was staggeringly good and the whole performance was note for note, thump for thump perfect.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A double bill of The Beat featuring Ranking Roger followed by the Selecter at Norwich UEA. Top Ska, although I must have been one of the youngest there at 52.
Whilst looking for something else on Tuseday, I found out that they were playing at The Apex in Bury St. Edmunds (I didn't kniow it existed!) on Thursday evening and so one of the last available tickets was purchased and I had a bloody good time watching them again last night.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A few years back, there was a band called Introducing doing a tour, performing DJ Shadow's Endtroducing absolutely live... an interesting idea since Entroducing is in the Guinness book of records for being the first LP composed entirely of samples. The drummer was staggeringly good and the whole performance was note for note, thump for thump perfect.
Just found some clips of that on YouTube. Wow!

Was staying in Harwich last night before a CX race, wandered into a pub called the Hannover which had a band of fairly old fellas called the Red Hot Radiators playing. Turned into a fun evening, they even did a rendition of Hurry up Harry come on were all going down the pub, Came to a unexpected halt when the drummer dislocated his thumb. ( though he did try to soldier on for a couple of numbers)

Julia9054

Guru
BBC Philharmonic at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. Stravinsky, Sibelius and Beethoven. Day out with the kids which also included beer and curry at Bundobust and apocalyptic rain!

I had to accompany my rather excited girlfriend to a Marc Almond gig at the cliffs Pavillion Southend last night. I was not looking forward to it, the only song of his I ever tolerated was say Hello wave goodbye. He played his latest album nearly in full which was a load of 60's covers. the only song I recognised was Sandie Shaw's Always something there to remind me, the rest were fairly awful I thought. The crowd only got up on the last 3 songs and some did not bother calling for a encore and headed for the car park. The encore never came anyway. Girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed it and I even danced with her to the last 2 songs. The last being Wave goodbye which in my opinion was the only decent song of the whole night. One for Marc Almond enthusiasts only I think, I was hoping being backed by a orchestra would make it a experience, it didn't.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I seem to have gone to more gigs in the last couple of years than I did in my 30s and 40s. Just got back from Zola Jesus at Nowich Arts Centre.
Disappointingly small audience and a couple of technical hitches meant it wasn't one of the best I've been to, but she's got one hell of a voice.

Only one more gig planned this year - next Monday is Weaves at Cambridge's Portland Arms.

Julia9054

Guru
Back in Manchester. RNCM symphony orchestra playing Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Orchestra of over 100 extremely talented young people. Blimey it was loud! My eldest was playing piccolo trumpet.
We are staying in a weird basement Airbnb in the @rse end of urban blight and taking both boys out to lunch today. My youngest has persuaded us to stay later and go to Bridgewater Hall tonight where the BBC Phil are doing Elgar's Enigma Variations.

gaz71

Über Member
I went to see Shed Seven at the Hippodrome in Kingston last night.It really was an excellent night,every song they played was superb.Their new album (first one for 16 years) is also very good.

Top Bottom