What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Billy Bragg. The Phil, Liverpool.

Was pretty much as expected apart from several songs from his new album which hasn't been released yet so how we supposed to know them? Levi Stubbs tears though! That was spine-tingling.

Being Liverpool, he couldn't go without the one we all wanted so he came back on for an encore and did 'The Scousers Never Buy the S*n' to great applause. We love that one.

AndyRM

XOXO
Not quite a gig, but we have just booked to go and see 'The Book of Mormon' in Cardiff next Tuesday.

Spur of the minute decision, anyone seen it?

Yup. It's very, very funny, and they adapt the songs to be relevant to current news, or at least they did when I saw it a few years ago.

AndyRM

XOXO
Willy Mason, at the last place I went to a gig - The Cluny.

He was supported by a trio called Voka Gentle, and we caught the end of their set. Didn't think much of the first song we heard, but the last one was an absolute belter. The few tunes we'd listened to before hand were nothing like they are live which was a bit strange. Good fun though.

I saw Willy many years ago when he was just starting out. He seemed a little shy on stage, but had a cracking voice. Since then his confidence has clearly grown (he was wearing a shirt with an unidentifiable stain down the side) and didn't feel the need to introduce songs or 'banter' with the sizeable crowd, just ripped through some classics and newer stuff with a voice even more powerful than before.

Felt great to be back seeing live music! I'd have gone to see anything to be honest, but the fact that it was one of my favourites made it even better.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Last Wednesday - This is the Kit, Norwich
Last Thurday - Public Servic Broadcasting, Cambridge
Tuesday - Porridge Radio, Norwich

Stil to come...
Thursday - Pozi, Cambridge
Friday - Lanterns on the Lake, Norwich
Next Thursday - Holiday Ghosts & Penelope Isles, Cambridge
Thursday after that - Dry Cleaning, Norwich
Then there's another 15 already booked for next year!

@AndyRM
@StuAff

One of our Consultants is also a fan

I might have to only take cash on Saturday, as there's a few bands I'd be tempted to buy tickets for

Wife told me, she'd like to see 'The South' (Fri 10th Dec)
Next year, l’d like to see;
'Big Country' (Fri 28th Jan)
'The Pogue Traders' (Sat 12th Mar)
'Heaven 17' (Fri 27th May)
'The Undertones' (Sat 1st Oct)
'The Skids' (Sun 13th Nov)

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
We saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the Picturehouse in Holmfirth on Friday. We must have seen them there a dozen times and I've seen them more than 30 times in total. I left the bloody tickets on a table at home but was prepared to pay in again but the bouncer was a very understanding young chap, found our names on a list he had, and let us in without having to pay again! I slipped him a tenner for his discreet handling of my personal problem. The band were just excellent - as ever - and the non-HMHB song they regaled us with came during the three-song encore and it was 'What do I Get?" by the Buzzcocks.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the Picturehouse in Holmfirth on Friday. We must have seen them there a dozen times and I've seen them more than 30 times in total. I left the bloody tickets on a table at home but was prepared to pay in again but the bouncer was a very understanding young chap, found our names on a list he had, and let us in without having to pay again! I slipped him a tenner for his discreet handling of my personal problem. The band were just excellent - as ever - and the non-HMHB song they regaled us with came during the three-song encore and it was 'What do I Get?" by the Buzzcocks.
I think the last five or six ticketed gigs I've been to have been a case of... approach the door staff with ticket in hand and they say "what name is it?" and check it off a list... no interest in the actual ticket at all. :rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Seasick Steve in Bristol

He's a very good Bluesman, interspersed with his hugely entertaining rambling hillbilly stories of riding freight trains and working in a carnival (fairground as we'd say). In reality, he'd been a successful musician and recording engineer back to the 60s so I suspect it's a bit of a stage image, but I dare say there's still a smidgen of truth in it, and real success, at least in the UK, came after an appearance on Jools Holland's show which made him a star. Points of note: the sound quality was near perfect - often rock gigs have poor sound, and his sense of timing and being in thr groove was spot on - this is what makes any music of any genre exciting rather than plodding. He's got a good singing voice too.

Anyhow - here's a linky to one of his songs

View: https://youtu.be/pNoPNC3ebYQ

Highly recommended if he tours round your way !

SWMBO & myself are going to see (the rescheduled) Hayseed Dixie, at Holmfirth Picturedrome, on Saturday evening

In case anyone's not sure who they are, here's a sample, at random
I'm not sure if they invented the tag of Rockgrass, or a music journalist?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krfz0FT9FRg

Rather good!!
Even SWMBO enjoyed it:eek:

The support act, were just noise to us (The Jokers)

They are very good musicians

A bit of advertising for the parties/get-togethers, that 2 longtime friends (sisters) organise

http://sexysunday.co.uk/tickets.html

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Paddy Steer in Morecambe last night.

His music is described as Sun-Ra meets Rhubarb & Custard.
He's described as the Manchunian Moondog
He's the analogue alchemist of electronica
...and slightly nuts :smile:

Top Bottom