What good is Alexa.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Re Alexa with FireTv. We have two FireTVs and occasionally use the supplied remote by talking, most of the time we use the buttons. The only time I use an 'Echo' to control the TV is to pause it from the kitchen when dinner is ready to make sure the kids come to the table without me having to stomp around the house.

Always seems to me like the sort of thing you'd see in a 60s film vision of the cool hipster in space. Impressive as a kid (you know like a tap next to the bed dispensing limitless supplies of pop) , a moment's thought on growing up - nah.

Also maybe have the idea that with some disfunctional couples it's the only talking that goes on in the flat/house.

Can you ask it to do bad stuff?

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So some costs - a decent Echo can sometimes be on sale for about £60. On top of that FireTV £25, controllable plug sockets, about £15 each, I already have a Hive heating system otherwise you are looking at £100-£150. Lightbulbs depends on the system but ~£15 each. Fart noises, free!

You don't have to jump in all the way with home automation. You can start off with just an Echo and build up if you think you need it. We don't have light bulbs because I want to also be able to turn a light on with a switch, we do use the plus to control a table lamp though. I also have a home security camera, but that is not Alexa compatible, but it does not really need to be.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I can remember when you had to get up out of your chair, walk to the TV, press a button and then walk back. What a chore that was
What was that extra button for? the top one was on/off & volume, then below that was BBC1, BBC2, ITV and a mysterious final button that didn't get anything unless it was a repeat of the previous 3 buttons...….. :whistle:

Ex-neighbours (let's call them Doz and Gaz) have one. Gaz loves spreadsheets for everything where £ and € are concerned and is a gadget nerd.

A very brief version:
Doz: Alexa, add bananas to the shopping list.
Gaz: Alexa, add rice to the shopping list.
Gaz: Alexa, add bananas to the shopping list.
Doz: Alexa, add rice to the shopping list.
Now when they go shopping they need to go together or end with twice as much stuff!

I asked them if Alexa could do something useful like open/close the electric garage door. Not possible.

As I see it, it is a first generation gizmo that should improve with time. To this luddite, I wont be getting one in a hurry.

tom73

Guru
I think it's great. So fast and much better than Siri on Apple devices.
My kids love it and ask it questions all the time.

The big diffidence is all the "free" data it collects for it's paymasters. Siri has it's faults but at least it's not collecting every aspect of my life to sell to the highest bidder.

Drago

Legendary Member
The big diffidence is all the "free" data it collects for it's paymasters. Siri has it's faults but at least it's not collecting every aspect of my life to sell to the highest bidder.

We don't know that, because none of Apples proprietory software is open source, so no one (except Cellebrite and the IDF) can see what algorithms are in place to direct data. We have only the assurance of a company with a less than average record when forced to decide between ethics or profit. All the big players, including Apple, have been caught out fibbing enough times that we shouldn't take anything they say on trust.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Always seems to me like the sort of thing you'd see in a 60s film vision of the cool hipster in space. Impressive as a kid (you know like a tap next to the bed dispensing limitless supplies of pop) , a moment's thought on growing up - nah.

Also maybe have the idea that with some disfunctional couples it's the only talking that goes on in the flat/house.

Can you ask it to do bad stuff?
Like "Alexa, hack into Barclays accounts and transfer £1 million into my account"?

Top Bottom