What good is Alexa.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Another pointless gimmick in my old fashioned eyes

Blimey how old are you, they are great fun.

Drago

Legendary Member
They may not be totally clean at times. But they never have been a data company. What we do know from company insiders and tear down of products. Is Siri process all quests on the device. Any data sent to server is sent with personal info removed the device then put the two together having never shaired it with anyone.

Unlike the rest that just act as a middle man for a server. The other thing Siri is not on all the time it has to activated by the user. Google got found out and issued a software update for google home it worked only if user turned on said update however. One big issue for why Siri can be found wanting is unlike the rest it is not havisting every bit of data to learn all it can.
The other thing to remember if Apple was in the data game it would not waste it’s time on a high end product it would want HomePod in every home. Cheep smart speckers are cheep for a reason.

It's just a shame there is no actual proof of Apples data integrity in the public domain, because the code is not open source and and cant be analysed. We only have Apples word that no personal data is streamed - I don't trust that word any more than I trust Amazon or Google, because like their rivals Apple have been caught out fibbing in the past. If you want to trust their word, then be my guest, but until the code is opened for people to examine I don't believe a chuffing word any of them say. That's why I have a dumb phone.

They're perfectly safe if you put small tinfoil hats* on them.
Whether jokingly or not, this is somewhat true. Aluminium foil acts as a Faraday cage, if you enclose the device in sufficiently thick material it will stop it from connecting to the internet. It might still record audio and upload it after the fact though. Best err on the side of caution and smash it repeatedly with a hammer.

Unfortunately while fact-checking this assertion I accidentally read the stupidest post on the internet where someone was asking about protecting their precious child's brain from dangerous wifi from their "so-called smart meter" :banghead:

It's just a shame there is no actual proof of Apples data integrity in the public domain, because the code is not open source and and cant be analysed. We only have Apples word that no personal data is streamed - I don't trust that word any more than I trust Amazon or Google, because like their rivals Apple have been caught out fibbing in the past. If you want to trust their word, then be my guest, but until the code is opened for people to examine I don't believe a chuffing word any of them say. That's why I have a dumb phone.
Your position can still be identified through cell tower triangulation, so best remove the battery well before arriving at the site or dumping the bodies. :okay:

Apple love their encryption and are as transparent as a lead wall (lined with more lead)
However, you can jailbreak an unlocked Apple device, and with an infosec community that is very large and proactive and with big companies constantly one-upping each other with bug bounties and such, I'd expect someone to have found something damning.
(Though Apple are very clever and I suspect they have a means of disabling certain features in jailbroken devices in much the same way that VW diesel engines have defeat devices)

Brains

Legendary Member
We acquired one about 2 years ago, beyond occasionally listing to the radio we have yet to find a use for it.
I don't have an Amazon music account as I don't buy music, and it's not worth paying 99p a month (or whatever the current cost is) to down load unlimited music

To be be honest if someone offered me one for £20 I'd not bother

Interesting response brains.

Why did you get it, what were you planning to do with it?

Another personal thought on these things.

If you live alone, something a bit sad about it.

If you live with others, won't they be driven mad by you talking to the walls?

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Bugger all to do with age, just an attitude.

I've never been an early adopter. I'd rather wait for the bugs to be ironed out and the price to drop by 50% before i sign up.

Really don't see the point in this stuff though.
Well as an example my mum loves hers.

She can ask it in english to play books for her, she can tell it to wake her up with a radio station she wants. She can also tell it to switch itself off after a set time she says so she can listen to it as she falls asleep. It also answers questions, which isnt perfect but, usually does give her the answer she is looking for.

It can also voice control lights, I can imagine that being handy for someone who has difficulty getting around. The advantage as I see it is it does lots of handy things and you may not use them all but its being added to all the time.

I use conversions (weight etc) and the timers quite a lot. You can name the timers so while cooking you can have multiple timers running and it will let you know by name which one is up.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think it would be nice to have something to have a chat with when I'm in on my own
How's Alexa's conversation? If it's along the lines of "going anywhere nice on holiday this year?" I may give it a miss

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I think it would be nice to have something to have a chat with when I'm in on my own
How's Alexa's conversation? If it's along the lines of "going anywhere nice on holiday this year?" I may give it a miss

Top Bottom