What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole bike than a single part :wacko: - cue a £4.71 BSO for the need of a single front wheel, although the back's useful as well plus shifters, etc. as they match both the Raleigh Pioneer and GT Outpost Trail I have:
Oddly enough everything on it worked, albeit stiff/lumpy. But it needed a new bottom bracket, headset bearings, new chain, bar grips, saddle - and the cranks had rusted on. So the bike's been stripped for parts - I've got a 3x7 21 speed shifters, brakes and derailleurs plus a pair of wheels. Spares box for both bikes now filled :okay:

That's exactly what I do. Pretty much all my spares bits have been harvested off scrappers I've either got FOC or paid no more than a couple of quid for on eBay. I normally set myself a £5 ceiling, although I did push the boat out to £7.50 once for a 21 speed Trek 850 that had a Blackburn pannier rack and decent 26" alloys. I salvaged everything removeable off the frame.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Knock at the door ... Wow! :smile:

View attachment 440579

I know what has prompted this. My cousin comes down with his bike for the Tour de Yorkshire sportive every year. Last year he had to fix his bike and used my decrepit old bike stand, which is held together with magnets, elastic bands and bungee cords. His bike almost fell off a couple of times, and he was not impressed!

I have had to grab my bike to stop it falling off the old stand too.

Time to email my thanks!

Fantastic, I've considered upgrading my stand to one of those.

Working on this today.

DSC_0773.JPG

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fantastic, I've considered upgrading my stand to one of those.

Working on this today.

View attachment 440685
Your stand looks pretty solid. My old stand had been given to me years before by a mate who was emigrating. It was worn out then and only got worse!

I assembled the new Park Tool stand last night. (Why isn't it Tools? :whistle:) It is really sturdy and well made; reassuringly heavy! The one negative for me so far is that its 2 legs fold down for storage rather than up so it ends up long and slim. I have a handy empty corner where I can store it but for safety's sake I have screwed a screw halfway in to a nearby cupboard so I can tether the stand using an old bungee cord. I don't want to risk knocking the stand over and damaging it, and I definitely do not want it landing on my toes or my bike!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Your stand looks pretty solid. My old stand had been given to me years before by a mate who was emigrating. It was worn out then and only got worse!

I assembled the new Park Tool stand last night. (Why isn't it Tools? :whistle:) It is really sturdy and well made; reassuringly heavy! The one negative for me so far is that its 2 legs fold down for storage rather than up so it ends up long and slim. I have a handy empty corner where I can store it but for safety's sake I have screwed a screw halfway in to a nearby cupboard so I can tether the stand using an old bungee cord. I don't want to risk knocking the stand over and damaging it, and I definitely do not want it landing on my toes or my bike!

TBF it's ok, it has a fair bit of wobble in it when you spin the pedals. £25 a few years ago. akin to the Aldi ones. No real complaints but would like more sturdiness especially in the clamp where I need to clamp the seat tube.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Not like this?

62319-15159-3-add2.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
D'oh - thanks!

FFS, I must be thicko of the month - I didn't even consider doing that!!! :wacko: :banghead:

Well, my excuse is that it was late yesterday when I finished assembling the stand. Mind you, I didn't think of it this morning either! :laugh:

PS Bonus thicko points to me for having thought that it was odd having an 'unnecessary' quick release to tighten the assembly. Double bonus thicko points for thinking that there was too much friction to slide the yoke up and thinking about lubing it. In my defence, I did notice the sprung button lock before applying said lube! :whistle:

Here is what the sensibly folded stand looks like, and the tatty old one next to it.

Its no good - I cannot stand it.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
Rear wheel, cassette , trainer tyre. Ready for using on turbo trainer.

Nice work :okay: See you on Zwift :laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
To add to my 1.5kg weight saving wheels the new Manitou Markhor forks are about 500g lighter than the coil spring cheapo original fit too.
Nice fork and match the wheels with blue transfers.
Nice forks in the crc sale £149 down from £280 , my Trek E-mtb is nearly light enough to lift over a fence :laugh: nearly

Top Bottom