What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Snapped up an Aldi folding bike stand, reduced to £3.99 (was £8.99).
View attachment 440759

Should be ideal for those times when a quick fettle or clean is needed, rather than propping the bike against the wall.

It's all about the bike today - the Bluetooth dongle so the computer will talk to the turbo trainer has arrived, as has the replacement charging / data USB lead for the Garmin, after the original one mysteriously frayed.

As my bike lives outside under a plastic cover, I've treated it to one that actually looks the part. The old one, a Christmas present from my son, was getting tatty at three years old. This one is far more substantial, it's a Mantle.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The final mechanical bits (hopfully) for the Pickenflick flat bar build - 2 X 28mm GP4000s, SRAM Rival rear derailleur, 2 X tubes and a bottle to round the price up.

Thanks to a BT rewards card and British Cycling discount, I handed over the grand sum of £1.09 in cash!
IMG_20181130_154042612.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Quite a few bits over the past couple of days:

A new 7 speed rear wheel for the Raleigh Pioneer as a spare - 99p from eBay
An orange saddle for the Carlton build
Some moustache handlebars for the Carlton build
A fixie crankset (black, not orange) for the Carlton build
A KMC HL710 half-link 112 link black chain for the Carlton build
And a set of Praxis Works 52/36 chainrings, into stock for now
An 11-28 8 speed cassettes, for stock
Two 8 speed chains, again for stock
A Dura-Ace 9000 clamp on front derailleur to see if that'll work as braze on attached to a bracket aren't on my son's BeOne, discounted from Merlin.

Last edited:

the stupid one

Über Member
Side-entry bottle cages, one black and one hi-viz yellow, to go on the Tripster beneath the frame bag. Helicopter tape to protect the finish. Threadlock because I’m running out. Spare tubes. Handlebar extender to get the lights above the bar bag.

Shimano external battery holder/port for the future Robinson update to Di2.

Plus some Hope hydraulic fittings and dynamo bits also for the next Robinson re-build(be about the third incarnation:rolleyes: and may be a new frame depending on what updates the mk 2 one will have)

8mph

Veteran
I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista c and a mount.

freiston

Veteran
I never think to post here on the day that I actually do the buying/fitting.

Recently:
a hood-mounted rear-view mirror (I have bar-end shifters and so cannot use a bar-end mirror) - it vibrates a bit and needs readjusting regularly (gripping the hood can move the mirror) but it does the job on narrow busy roads where close passes are "popular".

a new cassette (9/11-34 replacing a 9/11-28) which also necessitated a new rear dérailleur. A new chain was fitted too

roadside chain link pliers - they've gone up in price recently but still cheaper than other suppliers (I paid £23). This was an indulgence and partly due to me stupidly mis-threading the chain through the dérailleur when I fitted the cassette etc. I've never had a problem undoing a Quicklink until then - and I ended up resorting to tapping the link when placed proud of the chainwheel to undo it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I never think to post here on the day that I actually do the buying/fitting.

Recently:
a hood-mounted rear-view mirror (I have bar-end shifters and so cannot use a bar-end mirror) - it vibrates a bit and needs readjusting regularly (gripping the hood can move the mirror) but it does the job on narrow busy roads where close passes are "popular".

a new cassette (9/11-34 replacing a 9/11-28) which also necessitated a new rear dérailleur. A new chain was fitted too

roadside chain link pliers - they've gone up in price recently but still cheaper than other suppliers (I paid £23). This was an indulgence and partly due to me stupidly mis-threading the chain through the dérailleur when I fitted the cassette etc. I've never had a problem undoing a Quicklink until then - and I ended up resorting to tapping the link when placed proud of the chainwheel to undo it.
Those Wolf Tooth pliers look very useful - but what a ludicrous price.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I could do with one of those. I've got a brand new KMC chain in the garage on which I could not close the link no matter what I tried. My cyclist neighbour could not manage it either even when we tried it with the chain off the bike, so I just gave up and shot off to Halfords and bought a Shimano one instead.

I should have stuck to Wipperman, they have by far the easiest joining links.

Top Bottom