What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Finally got my new DMT on my feet today (£35 from Probikekit), and very nice they feel too. They were delivered on Monday - superfast service as I only ordered them on Saturday, and as is my habit with shoes I deliberately bought a size too small. I find doing that and putting a shoe stretcher in them with padding on the tighter spots gives a much improved fit over the standard fitting size.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Received a new shifter body today as the old one has the dreaded Campy problem of dropping several gears at once. Should have asked here first - I *think* I just need to swap-over the old brake lever, hood and clamp from the old one.

8mph

Veteran
I've got a seat post mounted pannier rack by Tortec for my mountain bike. It's not super light but panniers are so handy in winter and when you get where you are going the whole thing can unclip in 1 minute.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Christmas lights
IMG_20181221_135703.jpg

Boon 51

Veteran
Just bought some Conti Grand Prix's for my winter wheels plus two new tubes for £2.95 each from Halfords on a price match with Wiggle so far so good. The tyres are the tightest I've ever had and in the process tore one of the tubes so I rushed down to the LBS and they had the tubes listed at £7.20 each so I said that's a bit dear.. with that he chap said "well you do get discount " so I bought one and he knocked a £1.00 off so I payed £6.20 for one against 2 tubes from Halfords for £5.90.. That's taking the pee just a tad.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just bought some Conti Grand Prix's for my winter wheels plus two new tubes for £2.95 each from Halfords on a price match with Wiggle so far so good. The tyres are the tightest I've ever had and in the process tore one of the tubes so I rushed down to the LBS and they had the tubes listed at £7.20 each so I said that's a bit dear.. with that he chap said "well you do get discount " so I bought one and he knocked a £1.00 off so I payed £6.20 for one against 2 tubes from Halfords for £5.90.. That's taking the pee just a tad.
It matches what Halfords pay to buy in one million inner tubes compared to the ten your LBS gets.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
so I payed £6.20 for one against 2 tubes from Halfords for £5.90.. That's taking the pee just a tad.

And people wonder why the online suppliers like Chain Reaction are stealing business away from the LBS? Overcharging tends to come back and bite sellers on the arse in the end.
I only ever buy new tyres and tubes when on special offer online, and I keep good spare ones harvested off scrap donor bikes - which usually cost less complete than the price of the LBS inner tube on it's own!.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And people wonder why the online suppliers like Chain Reaction are stealing business away from the LBS? Overcharging tends to come back and bite sellers on the arse in the end.
If your LBS charged the same prices as CRC, Ribble or Halfords they would be out of business in a month. Buying goods in much smaller quantities mean they often have to pay more for them than the big players are retailing them for.

Top Bottom