What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avsd

Guru
A new Wera toolkit. An indulgence but I like it. Fits into back pocket nicely.

1642441559089.png

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve just ordered a Canyon-specific Lupine Nano light direct from Germany to replace my ancient Lupine Betty. It’s served me well for (I’m estimating) over 13 years but the battery has finally died. I think Lupine will still do a replacement battery but the light fit on the Canyon bars is a bit tricky.

This will be the first thing I’ve ordered from the EU where the VAT and import duties haven’t been charged at source. I’ve done my research with regards to costs but I’m sure UPS will find some way to extract a hilarious amount of extra charges. If only there were some way to reduce or eliminate all this red tape… 🤔

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
And UPS have found a way for hilarious charge extraction. £85 of ‘Government charges’ on a £215ish package (plus £11.35 brokerage). This should have zero duty, so somehow the VAT rate has mysteriously increased to around 40%. It could be incorrect paperwork or it could be UPS incompetence but I suspect the final answer will be 🤷‍♂️ pay up. 🇬🇧🦶🔫

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And UPS have found a way for hilarious charge extraction. £85 of ‘Government charges’ on a £215ish package (plus £11.35 brokerage). This should have zero duty, so somehow the VAT rate has mysteriously increased to around 40%. It could be incorrect paperwork or it could be UPS incompetence but I suspect the final answer will be 🤷‍♂️ pay up. 🇬🇧🦶🔫
Youy've been done by UPS

If the light is manufactured in China as I suspect, it would be subject to Customs duty at 2% which is £4.30 on a £215 light. Then there's VAT on the £215 purchase price (assuming this includes delivery) and the £4.30 duty = £43.86 giving a total Customs charge of £48.16 with UPS's £11.35 on top bringing it up to £59.51, so where the other £25 has come from goodness knows. I hope they've provided you with a breakdown of the charges.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Youy've been done by UPS

If the light is manufactured in China as I suspect, it would be subject to Customs duty at 2% which is £4.30 on a £215 light. Then there's VAT on the £215 purchase price (assuming this includes delivery) and the £4.30 duty = £43.86 giving a total Customs charge of £48.16 with UPS's £11.35 on top bringing it up to £59.51, so where the other £25 has come from goodness knows. I hope they've provided you with a breakdown of the charges.
I don't want to derail the thread so will thread this out if it gets much longer. I did something around the same calculation before I even clicked 'Buy', except the light is a *cough* basic Lupine which they do make in Germany, so it should be zero rated for duty. There was no breakdown or method of calculation for the 'Government Charges' line item.

I phoned UPS first thing this morning and got through to their call centre - based on Apollo 11 if the line quality was anything to go by. After lots of "pardon" and "can you repeat that" I've had to send them an email with all the details, including the original invoice. Chances are that might get opened some time this year, so it'll be a case of trying to get a refund at their leisure. Another possibility is that the export docs have been incorrectly completed by Lupine, so it'd be a matter of chasing them.

Like anything bought outside the UK, you can do your due diligence but in the end you're a hostage to fortune. I'm glad this is just an old man's indulgence and not something vital.

Edit: They opened the email! But just replied with a 101 explanation of VAT and duty and the formula for calculating the charges. I've just replied back using their formula with the worst case duty (which really shouldn't apply at all) and which shows a number about £35 less than they're trying to get off me. The saga continues.....

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I had a Garmin Etrex 20x delivered yesterday - used, a bit scruffy, but cheap. Left it overnight updating the maps & the software on Garmin Express and have spent a bit of time today setting it up and playing with Basecamp.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
After a close pass with abuse hurled last night, I went and bought another rear camera. My trusty Fly 6 packed in last year and I've been keeping an eye out for another with no luck. I don't expect the ETC to be as good as the cicliq but something better than nothing.

View attachment 626380

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/light...OjOaKB6pB26nlc6vSzErwhAJ9Iw48yIBoCj_oQAvD_BwE
Let us know what you think of this please, in case my Aldi Maxtek ever packs up!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just bought myself a pair of 'Fully Loaded' Carbon MTB Shoes off PlanetX. I've been on the fence about picking up a pair for a really really long time but they were on sale for £60 so i grabbed a pair 2mins before midnight as the sale supposedly ended Sunday?? :whistle::whistle:

Its now 12.08 and the sale is still available online :ohmy::ohmy: At least my shimano XC-61's can be finally laid to rest. They've been in service at least 4 years.

Was considering picking up some of their lezyne knock offs too to replace the batteries in my original lezyne's but i didnt really need those lights yet.... Other things i was considering was one of their carniac helmets but they dont seem to have much stock.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
Let us know what you think of this please, in case my Aldi Maxtek ever packs up!

Early impressions... it's a bit rougher round the edges than the Fly6 ie. buttons are clunkier, the strap doesn't feel as good, mounting is a little more faff, the recording light isn't as visible but on the plus side, it doesn't weigh any more than the fly and the quality of the footage seems to be just as good. How long it'll last though, that's anyone's guess.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Early impressions... it's a bit rougher round the edges than the Fly6 ie. buttons are clunkier, the strap doesn't feel as good, mounting is a little more faff, the recording light isn't as visible but on the plus side, it doesn't weigh any more than the fly and the quality of the footage seems to be just as good. How long it'll last though, that's anyone's guess.
Thanks 👍

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A couple of pairs of second-hand wheels; a pair of Fulcrum 6.5 CEX's and a pair of single speed wheels, both with tyres.

Also some basic lights, which were £12.50 for a decent front and rear USB light.

A Kenda 27 x 1 1/4" tyre for my Harry Quinn.

A little round light for my Kingpin.

A rear mech hanger for my son's Ridley Noah Fast.

A couple of track lock-rings as spares.

And that was supposed to be it for a while. Until Sunday evening, which I bought two bikes from a thread on here; a Boardman CX plus a Forme Thorpe.

Top Bottom