What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This ^^^

Nutted axles still have their place - good on a bike you've got to leave someplace unattended for any length of time and that sort of thing. But for sheer convenience, QR does it for me. For instance, it means I can get my bike into the car without flattening the rear seats if I just whip the front wheel off.

A nutted axle requires a spanner, a QR doesn't.

This is a good point, although I have to admit I've had an elderly, worn, nutted front wheel on the Touring bike for a couple of years, which means I have to haul a 15mm spanner on longer rides. Every time I packed it I'd think "I really need to replace that wheel" and every time I get back I forget (and usually carry the spanner for a week or more...)

si_c

Guru
A nutted axle requires a spanner, a QR doesn't.

Very true, but in some circumstances a nutted axle is actually preferable. A fixed wheel conversion for instance, bikes with horizontal, front facing dropouts are prone to the rear wheel slipping when too much torque is put through the drivetrain. This has happened to me with poor quality QRs too on a geared bike. A nutted rear wheel allows you to clamp much tighter than is possible with a QR reducing this likelihood.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's no real argument for having QR's on the rear anyway. On the front, it makes taking the wheel off easier so you can stuff the bike in the back of a car, but there's no further size reduction to be had by taking the back wheel off any bike fitted with mudguards or a rack. In addition, I reckon transporting a bike with the back wheel on reduces the risk of whacking the rear mech in transit and knocking it out of kilter. Unless you are swapping wheelsets every five minutes, QR's are of limited value, and if you are swapping wheelsets you might as well just have two bikes permanently set up with suitable wheels for different purposes.

Sallar55

Veteran
A pair of pedals €4.75 to replace XT rattrap ones, the bearings are shot. Will last until we find a good bike shop.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There's no real argument for having QR's on the rear anyway. On the front, it makes taking the wheel off easier so you can stuff the bike in the back of a car, but there's no further size reduction to be had by taking the back wheel off any bike fitted with mudguards or a rack. In addition, I reckon transporting a bike with the back wheel on reduces the risk of whacking the rear mech in transit and knocking it out of kilter. Unless you are swapping wheelsets every five minutes, QR's are of limited value, and if you are swapping wheelsets you might as well just have two bikes permanently set up with suitable wheels for different purposes.

The only argument against nutted axles on the rear is that (on my bike) they require a fairly hefty 8mm allen key, or 17mm spanner. to be carried in case of emergencies. Q/Rs would require neither.

Reactions: C R

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not for the bike, but a bike. This Peugeot came up locally and I collected it this morning:

PXL_20220519_093229592.jpg

And yes, that's how it was set up with the saddle pointing ouch and the bars too high. Looks to be from about 1990 with a Shimano RX100 groupset.

The frame's got quite a few rust marks and needs a new chain and tyres, possibly new headset bearings, but otherwise should be OK.

Last edited:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Very true, but in some circumstances a nutted axle is actually preferable. A fixed wheel conversion for instance, bikes with horizontal, front facing dropouts are prone to the rear wheel slipping when too much torque is put through the drivetrain. This has happened to me with poor quality QRs too on a geared bike. A nutted rear wheel allows you to clamp much tighter than is possible with a QR reducing this likelihood.

I have this issue on my Holdsworth using gears, I have to be extra extra careful to make sure it's fastened up extra tight

Top Bottom