What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Jameshow - you show a collection code once happy. Not happy, no code and re-claim.

Just make sure you check the bike over; as there's no cables or chain - does the seatpost move or is it stuck? (stuck = walk away), does the stem turn when loose? Is the headset loose? How's the bottom bracket? And - the biggie for me - is the thread on the integrated rear hanger gone?

I got stung through pre-payment last year. The seller's sold quite a few bikes, including one I recognise, so should be fine with you doing some checks. If not, walk away and claim back

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I recently bought some bars for a pump track project , today the final part arrived sort of.
An SE Bikes So Cal Flyer, 24" wheeled BMX Cruiser. A bargain at £230 brand new.

2022_SE_BIKES_SO_CAL_FLYER_BLACK_front_2400x.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Postie’s been…..

Identical bottle cages: as per already on 2 current road bikes - so I can assemble a ‘puncture / flat tyre repair strategy’ (**Which will fit into a Zefal bottle / tool-holder: and that I can then take with me on whichever bike is being used). As i’ve previously been winging it 🤦‍♂️

Bought spare tubes, glue-less patches, CO2 inflator, tiny pump, presta to schrader adaptor, a pair of small tyre levers and a topeak multitool.

Also bought two different stem caps for one of the bikes to break up the swathes of satin black in the bar / stem / headset area, spare batteries for the computers and sender units of all 3 bikes; and 2 x Cateye computer magnets as upgrades on those 2 bikes without Cateye units.

Should get rid of some of my Saturday enjoyably 😎

Attachments

• 72D9AD77-ADF7-4101-BA27-165F9A8E9AD9.jpeg
    72D9AD77-ADF7-4101-BA27-165F9A8E9AD9.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 4

Jameshow

Veteran
@Jameshow - you show a collection code once happy. Not happy, no code and re-claim.

Just make sure you check the bike over; as there's no cables or chain - does the seatpost move or is it stuck? (stuck = walk away), does the stem turn when loose? Is the headset loose? How's the bottom bracket? And - the biggie for me - is the thread on the integrated rear hanger gone?

I got stung through pre-payment last year. The seller's sold quite a few bikes, including one I recognise, so should be fine with you doing some checks. If not, walk away and claim back

IMG-20230120-WA0017.jpeg

I'll go and check all those things. I didn't check any of those things!!

I can break it and get my £40 back!

Will upgrade to 9spd tiagra / 105 dp brakes, wheels etc.

Alex321

Veteran
Just ordered a smart turbo trainer and a cassette for it from Tredz
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.ETC-ThinkRider-X5-2-Smart-Trainer_237587.htm

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
View attachment 675207

I'll go and check all those things. I didn't check any of those things!!

I can break it and get my £40 back!

Will upgrade to 9spd tiagra / 105 dp brakes, wheels etc.

As long as the seatpost moves and the derailleur goes on it's fine since the rest can be greased / replaced as required. Even if it doesn't you've got a 7/8 speed groupset, a pair of wheels and other components. There are ways of working with a damaged rear derailleur thread as well.

Depending on your budget I've an unused Microshift 10 speed groupset - levers, front and rear derailleur - which will probably be on sale soon.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My Genesis came with standard Marathons and my my first instinct was swap them out immediately for the fattest Plusses as I've never had a puncture in over 12 years with them. But I thought I'd give the stock tyres a chance. Four punctures in three weeks saw me in Halfords (I'm sorry, my boss got me a £60 gift card thinking that it was a bike shop as they sold bikes) buying two Plusses for only £8 of my own money. Nipped home switched them over and now I have an armchair on wheels that won't let me down literally or figuratively.

My Genesis came with standard Marathons and my my first instinct was swap them out immediately for the fattest Plusses as I've never had a puncture in over 12 years with them. But I thought I'd give the stock tyres a chance. Four punctures in three weeks saw me in Halfords (I'm sorry, my boss got me a £60 gift card thinking that it was a bike shop as they sold bikes) buying two Plusses for only £8 of my own money. Nipped home switched them over and now I have an armchair on wheels that won't let me down literally or figuratively.

To be fair I started out building bikes in a blue H*lfords shirt. The fact it was blue tells you how many decades past...

Top Bottom