What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
upload_2018-5-3_9-45-43.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-ST-R221-R-ST-R225-L-EZ-FIRE-HANDLEBARS/dp/B078TMTR14

From Bankrupt Bike Parts via Amazon. The Scott will have flat bars by the end of next week, I hope. Conversion will entail all new cables, a job I've yet to do. I have bought proper cutters, though, so that aspect of the job should be OK.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Chain link pliers arrived by post today. OMG so much better that struggling with offcuts of brake cable!
Put the chain in small-small (to free up as much chain as possible), put the magic link in the bottom run, pull a few links either side of the opening link together (pulling against the jockey wheels springiness), hold that with one hand and squeeze diagonally across the magic link with the other hand (or with grips, ideally perpendicular-faced, in the other hand) and it opens. Or others do it by kinking the chain up on the chainring and pushing it (I think ex-CTC Chris Juden described that method somewhere). I struggle to think WTF you were trying to do with brake cable but I'm glad you like the pliers.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Put the chain in small-small (to free up as much chain as possible), put the magic link in the bottom run, pull a few links either side of the opening link together (pulling against the jockey wheels springiness), hold that with one hand and squeeze diagonally across the magic link with the other hand (or with grips, ideally perpendicular-faced, in the other hand) and it opens. Or others do it by kinking the chain up on the chainring and pushing it (I think ex-CTC Chris Juden described that method somewhere). I struggle to think WTF you were trying to do with brake cable but I'm glad you like the pliers.
It was a very stiff quick-link. Garotting it was an anger-management technique.

bpsmith

Veteran
I never understand people wasting their money filling their sheds with unitaskers when ordinary tools do the job better. ;)
Let me get this straight, a generic single mediocre tool that is designed to do all jobs is better than a tool that does a specific job perfectly?

This one tool must be amazing!?!

Heigue'r

Veteran
Wish I had the proper tool this eve,The bike was allmost thrown through the window...

Bought some aldi cycle socks today,yesterday I bought a new 105 crankset to replace the ultegra one on the bike,It started throwing chains off the day before yesterday,It seems to be bent/warped.It also ended up throwing me off the bike.Also got a new cassette and chain.Looking forward to tomorrows commute

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
New cassette.
Fortunately also ordered a lockring removal tool at the same time, otherwise following the advice above I would have tried an orbital sander, hammer, feeler gauge, etc. :whistle:
You seem to have overlooked the "when ordinary tools do the job better" (like bpsmith overlooked that it was tools plural). As for the previous case, let's talk again after you've broken the small pliers on a sticky link that bigger grips will open.

One thing I like about getting the right removal tools is that you often still get to grip them in a wrench and hit them with a big hammer. A win all round.
Ah but some people buy the wrong removal tools with painful puny handles permanently attached instead of ones that are used with a wrench.

Top Bottom