What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Not for the bike, but for me - Ridge cycling shorts from Halfords on sale for £10.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Nah the cone spanner doesn't really have a lot to do, the cone nut is only a couple of mm thick so putting any force through into it will just strip the thread. All the cone spanner does is hold the cone/cone nut steady whilst the main nut is locked against it.

Indeed, never worked on any parts with bearings before but serviced the front cup and cone hub on one of the mtb's. It's a dark art getting the tension right. Got it eventually.

Reactions: C R
Halo Vapour 650b rims;now to build them on to the Hope hubs.Oh and some Shimano Ice-Tech centre lock rotors.

And frameset ordered; with 'staff' discount from Sportline :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Indeed, never worked on any parts with bearings before but serviced the front cup and cone hub on one of the mtb's. It's a dark art getting the tension right. Got it eventually.
Yep it is a bit of a 'black art' especially as the adjustments for solid axle and QR wheels are different.
Quick release's tend to 'crush' the axle tube slightly leading to a slightly tighter fit of the bearings once they're tightened, it's only a couple of thou but enough to make a difference if you get em 'right' off the bike then mount em to find they've gone a bit 'notchy'. Worse thing you can do then is think "They'll wear in" as that is how pitting begins, better to have em a touch loose than too tight even if it's "Only a fraction".

higgy400

I just went premium on endur8, it's an app so don't know if this counts but its really improved my time and performance massively. Team GB cyclist Elinor Barker has just endorsed them as well :smile:

johnnyb47

Guru
I bought some new retro quill pedals today to replace the old 35 year pedals on my bike. The old ones are not looking there best anymore to say the least :-) :-)

Screenshot_20180502-220740.png

Top Bottom