What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fitted a chain tensioner to my wife's bike.

I got an extra strong motorbike one and prefabricated it to fit for £6.
(Carefully, fold the steel lugs around using a vice until the four holes line up. Then it can be bolted onto the chain stay and wheel dropout.)

View attachment 511837
Push bike tensioners aren't usually spring loaded.

I suppose you are limited to 'bowling underarm' with that one.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Okay this might get the vote for the weirdest entry - a table vice! Trying to get a freewheel off and no way will it budge with a spanner on the removal tool and so tried in it the existing vice turning the wheel only to discover the vice although locked rotates through the torque applied by the wheel:cursing: So order placed with Tool Station who are claiming a delivery tomorrow.

Not weird at all, Mike.

A bench vice is an essential piece of kit for any workshop.

Gunk

Guru
Not weird at all, Mike.

A bench vice is an essential piece of kit for any workshop.

You can pick them up for next to nothing, avoid the modern cheap Chinese vices, try and get an old British made Woden or Record I paid £30 for mine about 7 years ago off eBay, it’s over 50 years old and works beautifully.

image.jpg

Last edited:

fatjel

Veteran
I bought a long di2 battery mount for the Roubaix. to go with a used 10 speed ultegra di2 groupset which arrived a couple of weeks ago
I'm having hours of fun making it fit. It Is actually on the bike and working but lots and lots of dangly bits

I bought a new cassette and chain for the Boardman MX Comp, and a new Cassette and chain for the T520, I’ll wait until the spell of unsettled weather that’s coming in next week, clears away before fitting them.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Bought 2 more Vittoria Trail tech tyres at £10 each and 4 Clarkes gear cables at 99 pence each (planet X), I needed neither, just had to buy something to keep me sane

Gunk

Guru
Ordered some more Muc Off wet lube off Amazon for a fiver, last lot lasted me about 5 years. I use it for motorbikes and pushbikes.

Arrived today, tyres and bar tape.

This sort of matches the bike...it will get dirty soon enough. But feels comfy!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Gunk said:
You can pick them up for next to nothing, avoid the modern cheap Chinese vices, try and get an old British made Woden or Record I paid £30 for mine about 7 years ago off eBay, it’s over 50 years old and works beautifully.

Agree about the Chinese ones in general. Most of them are fairly shite in strength and cannot be abused like old British ones! Record are probably the Rolls-Royce make. My ancient 6" engineers one is stamped GPO! Don't discount Paramo vices either. I inherited a very well-used one of those from an uncle, which lives outside bolted to a bench top. Came from a place he used to work at that closed in the late 1970's.
I was always taught that a vice mounted to a fixed bench should ideally have the jaw level with the front edge though, so larger workpieces can point down towards the floor without the bench being in the way. Yours might deliberately be the way it is so the vice doesn't overturn the base, if it's not a fixed one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom