What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just brought a Cateye bar end mirror for Mrs TKK's Brommie. She caught it when putting it under her desk and the mirror popped out of the movable stem. It's a press fit ball and socket joint but it wont go back in. I tried everything, mirror socket part heated in hot water while the ball part was in the freezer, all to no avail.

Update:
I found the Cateye BM 45 in stock at Tredz for around the same price as Amazon so ordered a couple as one of the Brommies doesn't have one. I was sitting at the table and looking at the one that popped apart, the offset hole and the corresponding ball and trying to discover if the was an optimum " angle of attachment " I had a bit of a brainwave and lay the mirror face down with the ball joint resting on the hole. I found a very large pair of scissors and lay the centre of the closed blade at the back of the ball joint and applied my whole weight. It took a great deal of effort but there was a loud snap and the unit was once more together.
Very pleased that I finally got it reconnected and now we have a spare.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Package arrived from Tredz via our local Postie this morning. Great service 👍

CharleyFarley

I favor the single ding type of bell, too. I once had a buzzer that would scare the daylights out of people, so I soon got rid of that. A single ding and "On your left" (or right as the case may be) is all it needs. I have two of the small bells on my bikes. 1 1/4" (34mm) diameter, and the small trigger can be moved to any position.

bELL.png

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The tidy-up of the parts shed meant some things which had dropped down the back of the storage racks were found. That was helpful. But, it also showed I'm short on 10 speed chains. Therefore ...

- 2 KMC 10 speed chains. I'll need one shortly and the only ones I had were either the Extra Light version or a special red version. Given it's needed for the blue/silver Avanti commuter something expensive or red didn't make sense.
- A pair of Dura-Ace 9000 brake calipers. Came up cheaply on eBay with new Dura-Ace pads and will go into stock.
- A carbon Fizik seatpost. Mis-described on eBay with a seller 'away' for the next couple of weeks so no-one else bid ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With my Avanti cyclocross bike now having a confirmed cracked fork by the LBS I've been on a hunt for a temporary replacement. This evening I picked up what I'd suggest is a bargain: a Genesis Volant 30 from about 2014. Shimano 105 5700 groupset with generic 105-level cranks, Look pedals, new bar tape, new chain (albeit with light rust from storage), Lezyne Zecto lights and in the saddle bag was a full toolkit.

PXL_20231012_194855190.jpg

The frame size is a 56cm which is a bit big but will do for temporary usage.

Hint: if you're selling something on eBay provide a description. And a photo of the right side, not just the left. There just wasn't any detail, which was probably why I got it cheaply.

Plans? The pedals, and the used bottle which it came with xx( , are coming off as I use Shimano pedals. It'll get mudguards plus wider 27mm Challenge Paris-Roubaix tyres from my grasstrack bike and then be pressed into commuting duty. That's until I can find a replacement cyclocross frame and the Genesis will give me a bit of time to do so.

Once that's done it'll be back on sale, which is why I'm keeping quiet on the purchase price :okay: . Although if you're nosey/curious you can check for yourself :whistle:

I've also picked up another very budget, but lovely, road frame which will probably be used on a future project.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got a puncture yesterday on a Devon lane covered in thorns from hedge-flailing. I put spare tube in and was going to patch the punctured one today but discovered that my patch glue had dried up since I last used it. I ordered another couple of tubes of glue but they are on 3 day delivery so they are going to my place in Yorkshire rather than here in Devon. I have scores of patches in a drawer at home so all I need is the glue.

To cover me for my planned rides at the weekend though I have ordered a puncture repair kit on next day delivery. I will use that to fix my punctured tube and carry the kit in case of thorn Armageddon on Sat/Sun. The kit has patches, glue, tyre levers, and a spanner. I will donate it to my niece when I go home. Her bike has one wheel with a quick release, and one that is bolted in (I don't know why!), so she could do with carrying the spanner along with the rest of the kit.

Oh, and I have ordered another drinks bottle. My 20 year old SiS bottles are tatty and starting to leak so it is about time that I upgraded. I will probably leave that bottle here with the rest of my Devon cycling kit and buy another 2 for my rides oop north.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Offer placed on some used Raceblade Pro XL's - will see if accepted. For the CX bike

Domus

Guru

CharleyFarley

I bought a 2-point kickstand and a set of trigger shifters.

After bolting the kickstand on, I couldn't press the red adjusting button. There is a high tensile wire that enters each side of the button and goes around the back of the kickstand. The idea is, when you press the button, it moves the wire out of the slots at the back so the lower part can be adjusted to the needed position. But it was badly assembled. I couldn't press the red button in because the wire at one side wasn't in place. I had to remove it, shape it like it ought to be and put it back together, not without a lot of difficulty.

Then when I finally got it done, I put the bike on the ground, leaned it on the kickstand, and the adjustable part rode up too high. Then I found I could simply pull the whole adjustable part off without pressing the button. There are slots at the back in which the wire part engages. The slots weren't machined properly so I had to cut them with a hacksaw. I would have sent it back but I'd waited a long time for it. I'd have had to pay the shipping, and waited for another one, with no guarantee that it'll be any better. I'd bought it on eBay and perhaps an Amazon one might have been better. At least I could return faulty items there and not have to pay the shipping. Anyway, I notified the eBay seller of the problem.

At least the trigger shifters went on the other bike with no problems.

bike parts.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
To cover me for my planned rides at the weekend though I have ordered a puncture repair kit on next day delivery. I will use that to fix my punctured tube and carry the kit in case of thorn Armageddon on Sat/Sun. The kit has patches, glue, tyre levers, and a spanner. I will donate it to my niece when I go home. Her bike has one wheel with a quick release, and one that is bolted in (I don't know why!), so she could do with carrying the spanner along with the rest of the kit.
Hmm... The glue doesn’t stick the patches on! I have tried to repair two different tubes and the patches just fell off even after leaving the tubes for 24 hours with the patches held firmly in place.

I have bought some Weldtite glue now. That type has always worked well for me.

Top Bottom