What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah, that's what all the advice says but I can't see evidence of it, nor a way to correct it.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/squealing-rear-break.181763/#post-3743189

IIRC, the leading end of the pad needs to touch the rim first, you can alter the angle of the pad with the rim by slackening the nut holding the pad, and rotating the pad slightly - there's a ball joint in the mounting post arrangement. Assuming you have V or cantilever brakes that is. Can't remember by how much the pad needs to be rotated, but try a thick bit of card at the trailing end of the pad to act as a spacer while you tighten the nut. Better bike mechanics than me will be along to correct me - but you get the idea. A bit of T&E will be required.

Some pads are noisier than others (IME) - I use KoolStop (Salmon or salmon/black mixed) and these are very quiet and the best I've ever used.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/squealing-rear-break.181763/#post-3743189

IIRC, the leading end of the pad needs to touch the rim first, you can alter the angle of the pad with the rim by slackening the nut holding the pad, and rotating the pad slightly - there's a ball joint in the mounting post arrangement. Assuming you have V or cantilever brakes that is. Can't remember by how much the pad needs to be rotated, but try a thick bit of card at the trailing end of the pad to act as a spacer while you tighten the nut. Better bike mechanics than me will be along to correct me - but you get the idea. A bit of T&E will be required.

Some pads are noisier than others (IME) - I use KoolStop (Salmon or salmon/black mixed) and these are very quiet and the best I've ever used.
+1 for a bit of card, normally use the stuff that the pads come attached to.

I had a look at my friends cycle computer trying to figure out why it isn't working properly I think the problem may be either the sensor or the contacts. I couldn't try it on my bike as it had different contacts.
Went out to my garage later and started cleaning off some rust stains off an old cycle frame with G3 and elbow grease, it is starting to come clean.
Hoping to pick up an old frame and parts on Saturday.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Getting ready for winter I decided to service the cartridge bearings on my Novatec hubs. There were no signs of anything wrong with them despite doing somewhere between 5k and 6k miles since the last time they got some TLC. I have no idea how long sealed cartridge bearings last, I have replaced many for other people but I only service mine. The grease behind the freehub body was ready to be replaced but the grease inside the cartridges was in better shape..... no signs of any water at all, mind you the only time they see rain is when I'm out on a ride.... never go out when it's already raining :smile: and I never use a pressure washer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I traded my weighty Univega which I've had all of a few weeks for a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin. I think it needs enough work to keep me busy for a while. In fact, it may just see me out. I'm planning lots of things for this 29er, I had a replace a broken front shifter (SRAMx4) with a thumb shifter for now, but that I will replace, along with disk brak padz in the near term, as well as tires, I would guess. Pedals are also quite sad, and will be replaced before its next ride. I plan to overhaul the Suntour suspension forks, or replace them with something lighter. Maybe a new sealed BB, crank, followed by headset, better brakes. Truly nice frame, though. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to bust this bike up. I'm going to go to a lot of trouble making it XC worthy again.
6fce1669d8e71b929fc63c1c80bddff2.jpg

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
New Veloce cassette arrived.

Teeth are inconsistent just like the current Miche, so the purchase may have been unnecessary.

Can't replicate the chain changing itself on the bike stand so I can't adjust it.

Bike is unusable with it slipping on the hills.

Wondering if it could be micro adjustments with the shifters giving me problems.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I took my Koga World Traveller into my LBS for a health check after my big off a couple of weeks ago. Both wheels were rubbing slightly and he is going to give it a careful look over.

I've been working on my Raleigh Criterium in preparation for a ride with my friends later on this evening. I found the stiff link which was
Causing it jump out of gear, decided that I would fit a new chain . Armed with a dot punch , nail ,nut , block of wood and a hammer I eventually
Separated the chain. That pin was stiff!
Now on with the new chain . Why is it a chains main ambition in life is either to roll around in the dirt or to try to make you pinch your fingers
Whilst trying to fit the split link? With the new chain on I span up the rear wheel, slight rumble from the axle bearings , it will be alright for now.
A few more things to do then it should be ready.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I gave my sister's bike a quick service. It only needed a clean & lube of the chain, tightened up of a couple of cable, pumped the tyres back up to 65psi (from 15!) and a quick wipe down which isn't bad as it was last done over 6 months ago.

IOTE="Gravity Aided, post: 3885651, member: 20259"]I traded my weighty Univega which I've had all of a few weeks for a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin. I think it needs enough work to keep me busy for a while. In fact, it may just see me out. I'm planning lots of things for this 29er, I had a replace a broken front shifter (SRAMx4) with a thumb shifter for now, but that I will replace, along with disk brak padz in the near term, as well as tires, I would guess. Pedals are also quite sad, and will be replaced before its next ride. I plan to overhaul the Suntour suspension forks, or replace them with something lighter. Maybe a new sealed BB, crank, followed by headset, better brakes. Truly nice frame, though. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to bust this bike up. I'm going to go to a lot of trouble making it XC worthy again.
[/Q Its nice to have a challenge.
Site
I traded my weighty Univega which I've had all of a few weeks for a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin. I think it needs enough work to keep me busy for a while. In fact, it may just see me out. I'm planning lots of things for this 29er, I had a replace a broken front shifter (SRAMx4) with a thumb shifter for now, but that I will replace, along with disk brak padz in the near term, as well as tires, I would guess. Pedals are also quite sad, and will be replaced before its next ride. I plan to overhaul the Suntour suspension forks, or replace them with something lighter. Maybe a new sealed BB, crank, followed by headset, better brakes. Truly nice frame, though. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to bust this bike up. I'm going to go to a lot of trouble making it XC worthy again.

Attachments

• 6fce1669d8e71b929fc63c1c80bddff2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 23

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Added a disc pannier rack to the subway, the seatpost rack i had always felt like it carried the weight to high .I did have to do a bit of a bodge on the top support as the one supplied was not long enough so i joined them together to make one long one .

OTE="cyberknight, post: 3889219, member: 4970"]Added a disc pannier rack to the subway, the seatpost rack i had always felt like it carried the weight to high .I did have to do a bit of a bodge on the top support as the one supplied was not long enough so i joined them together to make one long one .[/QUOTE]

Its good to improvise.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A couple of good results today.

My Charge Spoon arrived today so I put it on the bike and went for a 30 km ride. It was comfortable. Im thinking of changing my Brooks B17 for the Charge Spoon for next years Lejog. I really like the B17 but the big down side of it is that it is so heavy. I wont substitute comfort for weight so I will stick with the Charge Spoon for a few hundred Kms and see how we get on.

image.jpg

I dropped into my LBS for a chat and a coffee and just happened to mention I would like to raise my bars a bit as my Koga came with a flat bar. Ken wandered off to his hidey hole and came back with a touring bar, complete with Koga grips to match my bike. £20 fitted. They make a huge difference. Very comfortable. A great result.

20150904_174050_zpsgk8wymcb.jpg

Top Bottom