What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Went over my Carlton frame with some T cut trying to remove some rust stains. They are really noticeable on a white frame.
As I am learning, from this example I picked up the other day. Once I replace a lot of the fittings, she should really go. Found by a semi-trailer at an ongoing garage sale/junque shop near me.
ravity%20Bicycle%20as%20Recieved%20After%20Cleanup%20and%20New%20Derailleur_edited-1_zpsxgnyxbox.jpg
How could I pass on a bike named this?
The original derailleur gives an idea as to the as found condition of this bike.
Broken%20Derailleur%20on%20Gravity%20Bicycle_edited-1_zpsvyk22bus.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
IOTE="Gravity Aided, post: 3885651, member: 20259"]I traded my weighty Univega which I've had all of a few weeks for a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin. I think it needs enough work to keep me busy for a while. In fact, it may just see me out. I'm planning lots of things for this 29er, I had a replace a broken front shifter (SRAMx4) with a thumb shifter for now, but that I will replace, along with disk brak padz in the near term, as well as tires, I would guess. Pedals are also quite sad, and will be replaced before its next ride. I plan to overhaul the Suntour suspension forks, or replace them with something lighter. Maybe a new sealed BB, crank, followed by headset, better brakes. Truly nice frame, though. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to bust this bike up. I'm going to go to a lot of trouble making it XC worthy again.
6fce1669d8e71b929fc63c1c80bddff2.jpg
[/Q Its nice to have a challenge.
Site
Trek%20Marlin_edited-1_zpsg6brxrkp.jpg
This bikes' had a tougher life than Mazeppa.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No fettling but Christmas came early.

My new helmet arrived to replace the one I destroyed a couple of weeks ago. I also received my new Elite Winter gloves and a Berghaus Pacalite raincoat. The good thing with the raincoat is that it has a foldaway hood with peak that can be worn under the helmet.

Winter is coming and Im ready for it :0)

20150908_100850_zpsjhtbpwvl.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bought a secondhand wheelset the other day, but the bargain price was reflected in the seriously graunchy bearings. I therefore set about servicing the rear hub. They're Superstar Components Switch hubs on Stans Crest rims.

Once I had managed to get hold of some exploded diagrams, and rudimentary instructions I managed to split the hub, remove the axle and the freehub body. The rough feel to the outboard (Non Drive Side) hub bearing was explained as soon as I popped the bearing seal. It was full of all sorts of snot. I flushed it with GT85, blew it through with the compressor airgun, and regreased it. It still feels a bit notchy, so a new one ordered. The inboard bearing (Drive Side) feels fine, and once flushed,, blown through and regreased it runs smoothly. Same story with the freehub. The outboard bearing is toast. Rusted solid.
A new freehub complete with bearings and pawl springs is thirty quid, so I figured the worst that could happen would be I'd need to replace the freehub, so set about knocking he bearings out with a makeshift drift. The inboard bearing was fine, so once again flushed, greased and resealed.

However, I needed to press it back in, so treated myself to a 150mm M10 coachbolt and found a 21mm sparkplug socket that acts as a drift/press. Using 50mm washers and using the hubs internal spacers as internal guides I refitted the inboard bearing with my ghetto bearing press. I've ordered a couple of 6902 RS bearings for the knackered races and will fit those when they arrive. Quite a feeling of satisfaction.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Went over to have a look at the bike @gavgav's dad has bought and to give it the once over. It's a clean, tidy bike and just needed the gears setting up, the brakes adjusting and the tyres pumping up to make it good to go. I'd like to give it a proper service but that'll have to wait until later on.

It was after dark when I got back so while in a bike-tinkering frame of mind I have finally taken the Raleigh out to set up and try out my new light (a Busch & Muller). I'm very impressed: a bright, even spread of light which is all going on the road where you want it and isn't dazzling to other road users.:okay:
It's pretty good used on its own and in conjunction with the existing Hella lamp the lights on the bike are now better than the dipped beam on my car ^_^ -

Just need to get it set up on the Hawk too ready for those dark winter commutes.

Last edited:

Stu Smith

Veteran
New Headset fitted today..
The old one had seen over 10 years service in all weathers.
Removed the old headset and toddled off down to the LBS to be told a new one would cost me £35 and I would not be able to re-fit without having a headset press, have you got one the bike shop guy asked? No I haven't got most other tools required for basic bike maintenance but...
"Would you like to book your bike in for our mechanic to replace the headset". I replied "how much would that cost then"...£70 sir, should I book you in then?
"No thank you" I replied..

Travelled across town to another Bike shop and purchased a Hope headset for £18 and some free advice, then off I trotted home and wow 45 mins later new headset fitted and the bike feels brand new...

Warm glow inside :dance:

Cubist

Still wavin'
New Headset fitted today..
The old one had seen over 10 years service in all weathers.
Removed the old headset and toddled off down to the LBS to be told a new one would cost me £35 and I would not be able to re-fit without having a headset press, have you got one the bike shop guy asked? No I haven't got most other tools required for basic bike maintenance but...
"Would you like to book your bike in for our mechanic to replace the headset". I replied "how much would that cost then"...£70 sir, should I book you in then?
"No thank you" I replied..

Travelled across town to another Bike shop and purchased a Hope headset for £18 and some free advice, then off I trotted home and wow 45 mins later new headset fitted and the bike feels brand new...

Warm glow inside :dance:
That's a serious bargain for a hope headset.
Was the advice based on a block of wood and a hammer perchance? I have a proper wooden carpenters mallet for headset cups.

Last edited:
At home:

2 old clunker BSO's rebuilt with good but not A1 parts from my "not for resale" pile. Bound for the Calais refugee camp. Very much bitsas, and some ferrous oxide - but all running smoothly and safe.

At work:
What's wrong with this picture (and I don't mean the floor needing sweeping!)

IMAG0051[1].jpg

Everything now facing the right way

I quite like the way it looks at the moment . The alloy rims match the other bright work and make the wheels look slim whereas I feel that black wheels might
Make it look like you have got balloon tyres. I may be wrong ,you do what pleases you. Nice looking bike whatever.

Stu Smith

Veteran
That's a serious bargain for a hope headset.
Was the advice based on a block of wood and a hammer perchance? I have a proper wooden carpenters mallet for headset cups.

Didn't realise what a bargain the headset was until checking the internet this morning :okay:
Yes the advice was a block of wood and a hammer. I used a rubber mallet and some patience, I also didn't wreck the frame as the original LBS suggested I would.
I had been putting this job off for a while because getting the correct headset seemed a minefield.

Top Bottom