What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I have a light/cycle computer combo which I really like, but the mount is pants, and is now unusable. Playing around I noticed that the sliding slot for the mount is very similar to a cateye bell mount I had knocking about. The dimensions were slightly off, but a bit of careful filing was enough to make everything fit, so the light/computer combo is back on the handlebars, now securely attached.

Not so much as fettled, as worried about a noise

I was out earlier, & rode towards Leeds on the A61, through Lofthouse & Robin Hood

I was dropping down the start of Bell Hill, where the new roundabout is (cuts to Pontefract Road, & the ARLA depot)
Due to traffic deciding to go on my near-side, through it, despite my taking primary, I had to ride the ruts, to a certain degree of rattling

Now anyone who uses that road, knows that it joins/runs parallel with the slip-road off the M1 (@ jct 43), with traffic joining to your left (essentially) at m-way speeds (1)
There was a rubbing noise, as though the mudguard, or disc, had been misplaced, by the ruts
Now, given the road, it wasn't a place to stop to look at it !!! (2)

I had to maintain position too, as the left lane now became the M621 bound (to jct 7)
Once under the M621, & onto Wakefield Road, just before First Direct Banks call-centre (where Waddingtons Printers used to be), I could safely stop

An inspection of the 'guards revealed no loose stays/broken mounts, the discs weren't rubbing, nothing under the 'guards

However...………
The derailleur cable had moved & was rubbing on the tyre sidewall;)

Not a real problem then!!
DSCF6945.JPG

(1)
I worked in the centre of Leeds for 11 years, so used that road a lot, both going in, & coming home, so very used to the layout

(2) The route, into Leeds , https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1481030
The road drops to the north-west, crossing over the (blue) M1 - which heads north-east
I followed the red-road, & back under the M621, at jct 7
http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php?gridref=SE3229

The mucky tyres, are because I headed back through the Woods, & along a road that's acting as access to a Quarry, so has a lot of trucks on it, dragging water out of the wheel-wash

Not proper fettling but checking the Helium for what I need for the di2 conversion; annoyingly the Deda bars are not compatible with the newer bar-end junction box so will have to go with the external one(although Deda do do a nifty bracket for it),everything else is ok and I still have the proper grommets that came with the frame :ohmy::rolleyes: .

Just have to get the rest of the parts now :blink:

si_c

Guru
Slight noise still from the BB which annoys me, so stripped and repacked the bearings, and took the plastic spacer out this time too, means I could flush the bearings better, but also took me half an hour to get back in.

I'm waiting for some cable guides from supernova to route the dynamo cabling properly this winter, but they've not arrived yet. In the meantime I've put the dynamo kit back on (removed it for summer - bike gets locked up outside at work and I like to minimise stuff left on it) and just kept everything in place with electrical tape same as before. Bit more unsightly but it works.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Trek Fuel prepped for tomorrows ride around Sherwood Pines and area.
Whale tail popped on as I expect it to be a bit moist!!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

JhnBssll

Veteran
That lezyne light is it the 1100i power drive. Just got one for £48 thanks to the "found a bargain thread".
How is it for run time?

Its the 1100XL, don't know if that's the same thing but battery life seems excellent, I get several 30min commutes out of it and it's never died on me, I always charge it as soon as the light goes red :okay: I've got the 800 version as a backup too, both good lights.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Its the 1100XL, don't know if that's the same thing but battery life seems excellent, I get several 30min commutes out of it and it's never died on me, I always charge it as soon as the light goes red :okay: I've got the 800 version as a backup too, both good lights.

I like Lezyne stuff, well designed and made . Got 3 sets of the macro/micro front rear combination but I couldn't turn this down at that price. Should get its first outing tomorrow evening.

Top Bottom