What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I decided since my Kona Caldera is getting almost no use as a mountain bike I would try and make a few changes so it can potentially be used as an alternative commuter. As such I've ordered mudguards, rack and lights and will swap some SPDs on in place of the flats.

First parcel arrived today containing the rack so I got that fitted, added a saddle bag I had in the spares cupboard and swapped the pedals over this afternoon.

20181019_150755.jpg
20181019_153440.jpg

There was a little play in the front end so I checked and tightened all the fork crown bolts. They were all slightly loose so I torqued them all up and it's feeling much better now :becool:

Mudguards should be here tomorrow :okay: There's only one set of mounting holes on the back which I've used for the rack so I'll either have to reuse them for the rear guard or work out where else I can fix them. I'm not sure how I'm going to attach the front guard stays to the fork legs yet either but I'll make a couple of brackets up somehow. One way or another there's more fettling to come over the weekend :laugh:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I decided since my Kona Caldera is getting almost no use as a mountain bike I would try and make a few changes so it can potentially be used as an alternative commuter. As such I've ordered mudguards, rack and lights and will swap some SPDs on in place of the flats.

First parcel arrived today containing the rack so I got that fitted, added a saddle bag I had in the spares cupboard and swapped the pedals over this afternoon.

View attachment 434576 View attachment 434577

There was a little play in the front end so I checked and tightened all the fork crown bolts. They were all slightly loose so I torqued them all up and it's feeling much better now :becool:

Mudguards should be here tomorrow :okay: There's only one set of mounting holes on the back which I've used for the rack so I'll either have to reuse them for the rear guard or work out where else I can fix them. I'm not sure how I'm going to attach the front guard stays to the fork legs yet either but I'll make a couple of brackets up somehow. One way or another there's more fettling to come over the weekend :laugh:

Get some slicks on it. My old mtb has now got hack duties so I chucked some Shwalbe Kojak 1.9" on it and it is a much better town bike etc...

DSC_0764.JPG
DSC_0765.JPG

Decided the Helium needed a new headset as it was still on the original.

Old one wasn't too bad so will keep hold of them for emergency spares.

New Deda one popped in nicely and all moving nice and smoothly.

Also swapped the stem out for a slightly longer one.

IMG_2822.jpg

Not slammed but low enough for an old bloke

IMG_2823.jpg

Cockpit view with colour matching (bottle) top cap

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Blinded @Cranky Knee Girl on a recent, wet 200 Audax (Raglan Castle) with my impressive rooster tail. So I fitted these on my lunch break. Club colours an’ all. Smart eh?

View attachment 434402
I think a test audax is required, although I'd rather not repeat the weather of Raglan again!

Do you get that "wabber wabber" noise you get in a car when someone has a back window down and the front ones are closed at moderate speed?

Fiona R

Fiona R

Fitted new SPD-SL cleats to my cycling shoes after absolutely knackering the previous set to the point I thought I wasn't going to be able to remove them as I'd worn the top off one of the bolts..

Lesson learned.
OMG did I fettle? I put the cleats on my new spds this week :rolleyes:

My other bike was pressed into action today but half way on the ride the gear cable snapped so I adjusted the limit screws as a bodge. So I changed the cable when I got home but had to take the side plate of the sti to get at the old cable end. I noticed the inside of the chain was less than perfect so I gave it a good clean. At the same time I notice a large gouge exposing the tube in the front tyre so changed that. Now I know why I found a new tyre the other month, I'd bought it to cover for the tyre if the nick (which was quite small at the time) got any worse, it never did on gentle commutes so I forgot about it. But on today's hard ride it did get a lot worse.

Top Bottom