What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Maybe this thread should be retitled 'What Have You Felted Today?' ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Bought some tyres for the adventure tourer. Didn't want to spend much as the whole bike was cobbled together from spares in the first place. After a bit of reading g round I ordered a pair of Vandoorm Wind tyres, a road MTB tyre but with a slightly knobblier pattern than something like Cityjets. They re going on this morning and I'll try them at the weekend.

The Giant Defy is now finished and on the trainer
IMG_20181026_111539161.jpg

The TCR has been stripped and cleaned and polished ready for the DI2 upgrade
IMG_20181026_111556816.jpg

si_c

Guru
I had an "off" last week, when I encountered some wet leaves, not very fast and I only bruised my knee and elbow., but it did result in a bent derailleur hanger.
<rant> why are there so many different hangers. There must be thousands. They must be able to standardise, at least down to hundreds. And then the price. These are sacrificial bits of ally. Some sellers are asking £19 to £23 </rant>

Edit: Truing tool arrived next day. Kudos Chain reaction

Which model of bike is it for? Felt wanted €30 for a replacement derailleur hangar for my commuter, in the end I got one on ebay for under a tenner. I've got one in my saddle bag permanently now too.

Good workaround though to fix the hanger without the right tool, grade A bodge. Just be careful as the metal will be a touch weaker now.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Which model of bike is it for? Felt wanted €30 for a replacement derailleur hangar for my commuter, in the end I got one on ebay for under a tenner. I've got one in my saddle bag permanently now too.

Good workaround though to fix the hanger without the right tool, grade A bodge. Just be careful as the metal will be a touch weaker now.
All bent back into position. I have not ridden it yet though.

si_c

Guru
Ribble Prime. They don't sell it anymore. I did email them to ask if they sold one. They said send a picture which I did and that was the last I heard from them. A little disappointed with them TBH.
Ach, that is a bit rubbish. It's probably a generic one, so you should be able to find a derailleur hanger from somewhere, might take a fair bit of looking. Of course it's also possible that one of their current ones will fit too.

si_c

Guru
Riding into work on Friday, heard a ping as I pulled up at the bike sheds. Checked the QR skewers on the front as the wheel didn't feel right, but they were OK.

Left work to the tell-tale tick-tick-tick of a broken spoke, turns out it was on the front left side. Second spoke to go in about a month, so probably need to get some new ones and rebuild the wheel. Quickly replaced the spoke yesterday evening, done in under 20 mins including removing the disc rotor, truing, and putting the tyre back on the wrong way round and pumping it up. I've now used my last spare spoke for that wheel.

Plus I need to turn the tyre round today.

C R

Guru
Had a proper look at the shifting, which has not been great since changing the derailer. Hanger alignment was good, but i was still getting issues with cable tension, if tensioned enough to shift cleanly from five to four then it wouldn't shift from three to four.

Looking around I realised something I hadn't thought about before. This bike has horizontal dropouts, and an integral hanger. My previous derailer had a claw mount, so the axle can't reach the back of the dropout.

The new dérailleur goes into the hanger, so I had pushed the axle all the way back, so the pivot of the dérailleur was forward of the axle. Moving the axle forward, to the position it would have been with a claw mounted dérailleur fixed the problem, and shifting is now restored.

Ribble Prime. They don't sell it anymore. I did email them to ask if they sold one. They said send a picture which I did and that was the last I heard from them. A little disappointed with them TBH.

Was going to suggest looking at Wheels Manufacturing but they don't list anything for Ribble;might still be worth looking there as there may be something similar.Not the cheapest but they are way better quality then the made of cheese hangers that come with a lot of bikes,Ribble ones seem to be worse than some as have seen others which have bent(and snapped) quite easily;still better that than the frame or mech.

Did some minor fettling this afternoon.

Swapped tubes over on the better halfs' Avail(standard ones rather than latex) and tidied the bar tape.

Also cleaned the Helium after todays ride especially the rims which were getting a bit grubby.

Top Bottom