What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As mentioned elsewhere I started getting a thump through the frame on braking during my ride on Saturday. As suspected it was the rim failing so on Sunday that meant swapping to a used but serviceable rear wheel from one of my winter sets.

With the tyre and cassette swapped that then showed up problems with the chain fouling the dropout (tighter clearances since changing to an 8 speed cassette) which I'd temporarily fixed on the old wheel by introducing a thin washer between cone and locknut on that side. I don't want to do that every time I change wheels so I spent time with a big adjustable spanner tweaking the dropout until I had a good fit.

Got cold, got sleeted on but it's sorted and runs nicely on a test today.

gavgav

Guru
As mentioned elsewhere I started getting a thump through the frame on braking during my ride on Saturday. As suspected it was the rim failing so on Sunday that meant swapping to a used but serviceable rear wheel from one of my winter sets.

With the tyre and cassette swapped that then showed up problems with the chain fouling the dropout (tighter clearances since changing to an 8 speed cassette) which I'd temporarily fixed on the old wheel by introducing a thin washer between cone and locknut on that side. I don't want to do that every time I change wheels so I spent time with a big adjustable spanner tweaking the dropout until I had a good fit.

Got cold, got sleeted on but it's sorted and runs nicely on a test today.
That blinking sleet got me on my ride at Annscroft! Looked at rain radar history, afterwards, and it was one of those small showers that are harder to be hit by than not........unless you are me!

Two new Durano '28' section tyres ordered last night, due to a damaged sidewall (decided to change both)
They arrived late morning:okay:

Both old ones came off with only one tyre-lever, & new pair fitted without levers!
The rear was rather 'flat-spotted' too

The new pair are a bit fancy, as they have grey sidewalls

Now, I've got to paint/touch-up the right 'brifter' after Mondays unexpected bike-road interface.....
Ribble. CGR. 18.JPG

Tyres. Durano. 4.JPG Tyres. Durano. 5.JPG

Last edited:
Ride this morning included stretches on wet & gritted roads, so bike cleaned, lubed and checked over.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Gazed at bike lovingly.

It’s not just me then lol!

Fixed my 3rd puncture in the front tyre on the Toughroad since Monday. Only done 35 miles too! All been tiny thorns in the centre of the tread. Spent more time fixing than riding!!

Wondering whether to try tubeless or try those Zefal tyre liner things. 29x2.1 Thunder Burt Evo’s.

Anyone tried the liners?

Last edited:
It’s not just me then lol!
Fixed my 3rd puncture in the front tyre on the Toughroad since Monday. Only done 35 miles too! All been tiny thorns in the centre of the tread. Spent more time fixing than riding!!
Wondering whether to try tubeless or try those Zefal tyre liner things. 29x2.1 Thunder Burt Evo’s.
Anyone tried the liners?
I will heartily endorse Schwalbe Durano 'Double Defence' (28 section)
I've had one miniscule thorn puncture, that I could feel (but initially not see!!) in 17 months

Last edited:
Gave Wiggy a thorough once over after yesterday's unintended close encounter with a cracked, muddy road.

Wiped off all the mud, cleaned and lubricated the drive train and had to re-tighten all the brake and gear cables as they'd gone a bit slack. Nothing seems obviously busted, although the right pedal and brifter could do with some attention with assorted grades of sandpaper. Some black enamel paint wouldn't go amiss on the latter either.

Still of a mind to take the bike to my LBS for an inspection - just in case. But that's one tough wee bike...

Top Bottom