What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
New Keo Blade Carbon pedals fitted to the Bianchi. For no other reason than they were a great price from Merlin. And the old ones will be reserved for the winter bike. When I find one!
Also started to check the Cube MTB as I knew there was a knackered bearing in the the rear sus somewhere. Quickly found them in the top pivot where they were well sh*gged. Had to visit a mechanic mate for a better punch to knock out the remains of the outer race. New ones will be sourced tomorrow. Surprisingly the rest are solid after two years and over 3k km.

D

Deleted member 1258

A bike fettling day for me. Got the fixed out from the back of the shed to get it ready for winter, the sealed bearings in the back wheel needed changing, a job for the LBS usually, but I changed them myself this time. Not a bad job, tapped the old ones out, did a bit of a search on the internet to find a shop nearby, popped out and got the replacement bearings, popped the seals off and greased, put the seals back and tapped them in. New chainring, swapped the little 44 for a 46, a new chain, pumped the tyres up and give it a clean.

Spoons47

E52A9627-2908-40B6-B6D4-13541ABADA57.jpeg E91384BA-1541-451A-911D-941A6AEB3783.jpeg
Found this torch in Asda. £10 half price. Incredibly powerful and takes 3 AAA, which I prefer so I can use powerful rechargeables.
Used a mudguard mount I had lying around. Of course there was an annoying rattle, but I wouldn’t give up! It was the battery cage moving around, soon fixed with insulating tape. Red ties to be replaced with white ones to match handlebars.
Happy days.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I had an "off" last week, when I encountered some wet leaves, not very fast and I only bruised my knee and elbow., but it did result in a bent derailleur hanger.
<rant> why are there so many different hangers. There must be thousands. They must be able to standardise, at least down to hundreds. And then the price. These are sacrificial bits of ally. Some sellers are asking £19 to £23 </rant>

So.....
The hanger has a cut out section which I measured as 4mm. I found a spanner that was 4mm thick placed the hanger in a vice, with the spanner in the cut out and applied a precise amount of pressure (as much force as I could with a ring spanner to extend the vice handle). Then finished off with an old wheel spindle. I have ordered a truing tool from Chain reaction which was £25

Edit: Truing tool arrived next day. Kudos Chain reaction

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A bike fettling day for me. Got the fixed out from the back of the shed to get it ready for winter, the sealed bearings in the back wheel needed changing, a job for the LBS usually, but I changed them myself this time. Not a bad job, tapped the old ones out, did a bit of a search on the internet to find a shop nearby, popped out and got the replacement bearings, popped the seals off and greased, put the seals back and tapped them in. New chainring, swapped the little 44 for a 46, a new chain, pumped the tyres up and give it a clean.
I'm halfway through putting mudguards on my CAADX (cyclocross bike). I've got it on my stand and when spinning the back wheel there is a rumbling sound from the bearings. I had noticed it the last time that I rode the bike but forgot to sort it out then. I'm hoping that the hub has sealed bearings and that they are the same type that I bought for the Hope hubs on my mountain bike because I have 5 left over.

I'll get on with that job once the mudguard installation is finished. I want the CAADX ready ASAP because that is going to be my winter bike and it won't be long before that is upon us. I nearly wrecked a fairly expensive front wheel on my CAAD5 road bike last winter, riding it in salty, gritty, wet conditions. The front rim feels like half the thickness of the rear one now. It also wasn't much fun getting the transmission and myself covered in crap almost every ride!

A proper report on the mudguard will be posted upon completion ...

I took a break from fiddly guard-fitting and did some non-cycling fettling instead.

I have met quite a few musicians over the years, both on and off the bike. When I chat to them it reminds me how I have wanted to learn to play guitar and piano since I was about 10 years old, but over half a century later I still haven't got round to it. Being realistic, there is a good chance that I never will but since there is still some life left in this old dog, he will see if he can be taught some new tricks, tricks of a musical kind and largely taught by the mighty YouTube! :laugh:

I have owned a Yamaha digital piano for years but it has been sitting in an attic bedroom, unused and unloved. I thought it was time to bring it down into this room which is warm and cosy and where the piano will be much more accessible. If I feel like doing 15 minutes of practice then I can just walk across the room, don my headphones, flick a switch, and get on with it.

Anyway - fettling...! I had taken a leaf out of @SkipdiverJohn's book and rescued a Formica***-topped table from a local skip, thinking that it would be good to put my piano on. The only problem was that I could never get comfortable sitting at it. It finally dawned on me that the problem was that the table top was too high. I searched online and found that good pianos tend to the tops of the white keys about 28 inches from the floor - the tops of my P90's keys were nearer 31.5 inches so I decided to saw the legs down.

Table leg offcuts.jpg

I now have my piano in the corner of the room, where my mountain bike used to live. I have made room for that in the opposite corner.

Yamaha P90 digital piano on table salvaged from a skip.jpg

*** Long ago, in a far-distant century, Formica was considered by many to be a wondrous and 'stylish' finish for domestic surfaces. My father was certainly one of those people. "New work surface? I have a huge sheet of grey Formica that I could cut up and glue to the old one!" "Table looking tatty? I have some big offcuts of grey Formica that I could cut up and glue to that!" "Want a box to save your pocket money in, Col? I have some old plywood and small offcuts of grey Formica that I could cut up and glue together to make you one!" "Need a new splashback for behind the kitchen sink? I've run out of grey Formica, but I could go and buy a big new sheet so I could make one. The rest won't go to waste - there are hundreds of uses for Formica!" That kind of thing :okay:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I'm halfway through putting mudguards on my CAADX (cyclocross bike). I've got it on my stand and when spinning the back wheel there is a rumbling sound from the bearings. I had noticed it the last time that I rode the bike but forgot to sort it out then. I'm hoping that the hub has sealed bearings and that they are the same type that I bought for the Hope hubs on my mountain bike because I have 5 left over.

I'll get on with that job once the mudguard installation is finished. I want the CAADX ready ASAP because that is going to be my winter bike and it won't be long before that is upon us. I nearly wrecked a fairly expensive front wheel on my CAAD5 road bike last winter, riding it in salty, gritty, wet conditions. The front rim feels like half the thickness of the rear one now. It also wasn't much fun getting the transmission and myself covered in crap almost every ride!

A proper report on the mudguard will be posted upon completion ...

I took a break from fiddly guard-fitting and did some non-cycling fettling instead.

I have met quite a few musicians over the years, both on and off the bike. When I chat to them it reminds me how I have wanted to learn to play guitar and piano since I was about 10 years old, but over half a century later I still haven't got round to it. Being realistic, there is a good chance that I never will but since there is still some life left in this old dog, he will see if he can be taught some new tricks, tricks of a musical kind and largely taught by the mighty YouTube! :laugh:

I have owned a Yamaha digital piano for years but it has been sitting in an attic bedroom, unused and unloved. I thought it was time to bring it down into this room which is warm and cosy and where the piano will be much more accessible. If I feel like doing 15 minutes of practice then I can just walk across the room, don my headphones, flick a switch, and get on with it.

Anyway - fettling...! I had taken a leaf out of @SkipdiverJohn's book and rescued a Formica***-topped table from a local skip, thinking that it would be good to put my piano on. The only problem was that I could never get comfortable sitting at it. It finally dawned on me that the problem was that the table top was too high. I searched online and found that good pianos tend to the tops of the white keys about 28 inches from the floor - the tops of my P90's keys were nearer 31.5 inches so I decided to saw the legs down.

View attachment 435107
I now have my piano in the corner of the room, where my mountain bike used to live. I have made room for that in the opposite corner.

View attachment 435108

*** Long ago, in a far-distant century, Formica was considered by many to be a wondrous and 'stylish' finish for domestic surfaces. My father was certainly one of those people. "New work surface? I have a huge sheet of grey Formica that I could cut up and glue to the old one!" "Table looking tatty? I have some big offcuts of grey Formica that I could cut up and glue to that!" "Want a box to save your pocket money in, Col? I have some old plywood and small offcuts of grey Formica that I could cut up and glue together to make you one!" "Need a new splashback for behind the kitchen sink? I've run out of grey Formica, but I could go and buy a big new sheet so I could make one. The rest won't go to waste - there are hundreds of uses for Formica!" That kind of thing :okay:

If they are sealed bearings and they are only noisy and there's no free play you might get away with popping the seals off and giving them a clean and a regrease.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
New brake blocks, chain and cassette on a friend's bike, except she gave me the wrong (too wide) chain, so I had to buy the correct 9-speed one from Greg round the corner. Also freed the derailleur top pivot and a few other minor jobs.

New chain and cassette also on my venerable Omega. I changed the rear gear cable and discovered that the derailleur cable adjuster has stripped. There's another adjuster on the down-tube stop, so it still works, but I might change the mech anyway. Also fitted the rack as we need panniers for our little tour.

Got to pack for Saturday and pump up the tyres.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

That's exactly the sort of thing I would do. The workbench in my tool shed was rescued before it went into the skip at work and I built the shed myself around the dimensions of the bench. It's a proper one with 2" thick solid top, mortice & tenon joints in the frame & cupboard doors and has dovetailed drawers. I hate to imagine what a new one would cost, but mine is probably 50+ years old made back in the days when the world wasn't run by bean counters.

Top Bottom