What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Flaperised the school run Surly Big Dummy so I can collect and jar-up the now abundant road chutney.

961C1174-E853-43C8-B81F-4A3C7613944B.jpeg
91695B07-8D45-498A-9845-F4107FF8987B.jpeg

That's a supremely beefy looking steed!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Finished swapping tyres on the Orbea Gain. Replaced the original 28mm Kenda Krampfish tyres with 28mm Continental GP4000IIs'. Total weight saved around 500gm. Interestingly the Conti's are actually fatter than the Kenda tyres, and the original Kenda tubes are actually quite light for 28mm at 110gm each.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hmm. The front flap shimmies over 30kph. We sound like a run away didgeridoo. Design ideas to stabilise it?

If the noise is speed specific it suggests it's hitting a natural frequency - two ways of changing this, either changing the structure or the mass. I would try changing the mass of the flap as in this case its the easier option. I would tape small weights to the flap and move them around until they're having the desired effect before making a more long-term adjustment, maybe riveting on an aluminium plate or something. Depends how much mass is required and where really, have a play and let us know how you get on :okay:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Blinded @Cranky Knee Girl on a recent, wet 200 Audax (Raglan Castle) with my impressive rooster tail. So I fitted these on my lunch break. Club colours an’ all. Smart eh?

View attachment 434402
V. nice - is that home made or shop-bought?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If the noise is speed specific it suggests it's hitting a natural frequency - two ways of changing this, either changing the structure or the mass. I would try changing the mass of the flap as in this case its the easier option. I would tape small weights to the flap and move them around until they're having the desired effect before making a more long-term adjustment, maybe riveting on an aluminium plate or something. Depends how much mass is required and where really, have a play and let us know how you get on :okay:

You were a scientific inspiration. I fitted a cable tie about 40mm either side up the mudguard stay to the front rack. To the untrained eye, it is invisible. The shimmy is no longer and the bike is silent for the first time in over 5000km.

I suspect in my mind’s eye, I am faster than I have ever been!

Top Bottom