What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
20181110_182836.jpg
Rear suspension strip down for the Boardman FS Pro. Left rear shock pressurised, and removed bolts on the bearings. Then popped of the seals (bearings still in frame). All OK despite 2 years untouched. No corrosion but a little gritty. Blasted them all out with electrical contact cleaner and then GT85, dried and repacked with waterroof grease. Took a couple of hours to do thoroughly. Blasted my tunes out.

Old chap visiting a neighbour was stood watching at the end of my drive. I couldn't hear him because of my music. Went over to him and he said 'his garage was way messier and needed a tip run'. I replied that mine was just full of bikes, as looking back, all you could see was bikes hanging from walls, bikes stood on the floor, a bike in a workstand and numerous spare tyres hung about.

It's not super tidy, but there is room in there. Just need to get rid of a reclining chair thar my wife wants to recover.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted 52/36 chainrings to:

- Son's Cervelo S3, although it's about to get a frame swap by the LBS but I wanted it ready
- Son's Giant TCR, along with an old set of Fulcrum 5's which I fitted some Durano S Etape tyres in blue/black he likes plus a 16-28 U16 cassette
- Son's BeOne Raw Comp, along with a new Ultegra 6800 front derailleur and different wheels which got a 16-27 U16 cassette

Then prepped my Wilier Montegrappa for tomorrow's Eureka 210km audax. On went my Roval Fusee Star wierd wheels and a couple of other bits. I'm travelling light for this though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 438034 Rear suspension strip down for the Boardman FS Pro. Left rear shock pressurised, and removed bolts on the bearings. Then popped of the seals (bearings still in frame). All OK despite 2 years untouched. No corrosion but a little gritty. Blasted them all out with electrical contact cleaner and then GT85, dried and repacked with waterroof grease. Took a couple of hours to do thoroughly. Blasted my tunes out.

Old chap visiting a neighbour was stood watching at the end of my drive. I couldn't hear him because of my music. Went over to him and he said 'his garage was way messier and needed a tip run'. I replied that mine was just full of bikes, as looking back, all you could see was bikes hanging from walls, bikes stood on the floor, a bike in a workstand and numerous spare tyres hung about.

It's not super tidy, but there is room in there. Just need to get rid of a reclining chair thar my wife wants to recover.
I thought the chair was for sitting gazing at the bikes with a glass of something to hand. :rolleyes:

View attachment 438034 Rear suspension strip down for the Boardman FS Pro. Left rear shock pressurised, and removed bolts on the bearings. Then popped of the seals (bearings still in frame). All OK despite 2 years untouched. No corrosion but a little gritty. Blasted them all out with electrical contact cleaner and then GT85, dried and repacked with waterroof grease. Took a couple of hours to do thoroughly. Blasted my tunes out.

I thought you were just being a bit posh having a comfy chair in your garage to work from ? :whistle:

si_c

Guru
Stripped the bike down and gave it a damn good clean, it was completely filthy. Tighened up the rear brake cable as it was a bit loose whilst I was doing it.

I've also rejigged the lighting setup after getting a couple of new components last week, moved the headlamp from the extensions to underneath the Garmin mount using a GoPro adapter, and then fitted the matching rear light to the seatpost. My original plan was to run the lighting cable internally along the rear brake line, but there wasn't enough space to pass the cable through the eyelet, so I've had to run it underneath the downtube, which I didn't really want to do - it's a bit too exposed there.

It's a fairly neat job though, as I've used the guide kit I was planning on using to attach the main cable to the front fork, and with a little extra electrical tape it's quite tidy. I've perhaps gone overboard heatshrinking stuff, but I don't want any water getting to the connectors.

The bike isn't really setup for this sort of lighting rig, ideally it would have better eyelets for internal cables, but I've made a decent stab at it given the circumstances. If I were to do it again, I'd probably shorten the cables somewhat, but I didn't really want to cut them at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not much on the FS today. Did 20 miles on Zwift then just touched up little scratches on the black components on the FS. Not likely to be out on it for a bit, so fettled it up.

Loud noise on the better halfs' Giant on the way back from shopping and after inspection found a broken spoke so will have to get one from the shop tomorrow.

Also checked the tyres on the robinson for debris and found some glass so all removed and cuts filled with Loctite flexi super glue.

Top Bottom