What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
New bearings fitted in the rear wheel of my Defy2, currently my commute bike.

How happy I was when I'd reassembled it only to find that I'd inserted the axle with the longer thread on the hub side <doh> :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
New BB7 brake pads. I discovered on the way to work that the front ones were emitting a loud scraping noise which told me that the pads had reached the end of their life and the spring was catching on the rotor.

D

Deleted member 1258

New BB7 brake pads. I discovered on the way to work that the front ones were emitting a loud scraping noise which told me that the pads had reached the end of their life and the spring was catching on the rotor.

I've done that with rim brakes, hit the brakes, wondered what the noise was and when I checked I was through the block and on the metal former inside the block.

AlanW

Guru
I refuse to pay circa £140 for a 11 speed 12/28 Dura Ace cassette, so I've bought two Ultegra cassettes, a 12/25 and a 11/28 and made a 12/28 cassette for half the price. Then made up a 11/25 cassette with the remaining sprockets and then sold it!

So all in all its cost me £55 for a 11 speed 12/28 cassette as opposed to £140 for a Dura Ace one....happy days :angel:

Rear Light Replacement!

The lower LED light had started to flicker over bumps, requiring a 'tap' of a finger to restart it
Then the main LED failed
(they're about 10 years old, but the upper one was damned bright, for that age)
Thus a replacement was required
Lighting. 1.JPG

A visit to Halfords, after dropping daughter off for Choir practice, produced a '50 Lumen' lamp for £15, plus a back-up '25 Lumen' for £10
Lighting. 2.JPG
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-50-lumen-rear-bike-light
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-25-lumen-rear-bike-light

It's damned bright!!!
My digital camera actually shows in on the viewscreen as green!?!?
Lighting. 3.JPG

My intention was to replace the other old LED with the secondary new '25 Lumen' unit
Sadly, it won't fit on the seat-pin, with the existing clamp-bolt (head's too big)
Therefore, it's on the off-side Seat-Stay for now
Lighting. 5.JPG

Plus, there was a 10% discount, for being a member of 'The Blue Light Card' club!:okay:

https://www.bluelightcard.co.uk/

EDIT @ 21:36
Yehuda Moon did spring to mind:laugh:

Yehuda Moon. Tail-Light.jpg

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Finally got around to swapping the 25c rear Lugano off the commuter and put a 28c Zaffiro Pro on in it's place (a tyre I much prefer, and given that I've had 2 punctures with the Lugano in 1000km possibly for the best).

Then I was faffing around talking to Mrs C, so played around with a needle and thread and fixed my lightweight full finger gloves as a hole had developed where the stitching had come away from the material leaving a hole. Took a few moments to also darn a small hole that appeared after my last glove - road interfacing in February. Overall a pretty terrible job, but at least they have no holes now, and for commuting I don't really need much else.

Also in a bit of non bike related fettling I removed systemd from my laptop and replaced it with good old fashioned SysVinit. Boots faster and uses less than 100Mb RAM when sitting at the desktop.

C R

Guru
Finally got around to swapping the 25c rear Lugano off the commuter and put a 28c Zaffiro Pro on in it's place (a tyre I much prefer, and given that I've had 2 punctures with the Lugano in 1000km possibly for the best).

Then I was faffing around talking to Mrs C, so played around with a needle and thread and fixed my lightweight full finger gloves as a hole had developed where the stitching had come away from the material leaving a hole. Took a few moments to also darn a small hole that appeared after my last glove - road interfacing in February. Overall a pretty terrible job, but at least they have no holes now, and for commuting I don't really need much else.

Also in a bit of non bike related fettling I removed systemd from my laptop and replaced it with good old fashioned SysVinit. Boots faster and uses less than 100Mb RAM when sitting at the desktop.
Lennart has a lot to answer for.

si_c

Guru
Lennart has a lot to answer for.

Yes and no, I really like Pulseaudio and systemd works well enough, but I just don't see the need for it in my use-case. First boot after disabling systemd and putting init back in and getting to tty and I'm using 43MB ram, including loading pulseaudio, dbus and a couple of other services on my laptop. Logged in and working and I'm using under 200MB. It was more than double that with systemd.

Edit: Interestingly getting to an X login prompt wasn't actually any faster - although I've now got to rethink how I do networking - netctl isn't going to work without systemd.

D

Deleted member 1258

Changed the mudguard stays and fitted a pair of secur clips to the front of the fixed tonight. Been meaning to do it since I fitted the mudguards, originally they came with four separate stays and I couldn't make the clip fit, so tonight I fitted a pair of double stays and clips.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Tackled the winter bike today. I had tried and failed to refit the clip-on crud roadracer mk2 guards that I used quite succesfully last year. Unfortunately since then I've gone to 28mm tires on the Roubaix and despite my best attempts it was impossible to get them to fit without rubbing. The clearance on both frame and forks with 28mm tires on this bike is very small so I decided to attempt to fit some 'proper' mudguards instead.

After a quick measure with my trusty calipers and a trip to my LBS I returned with some M-Part Primo 38x700c black guards for the bargain price of £39.99. They seem good quality and the measurements seemed to be pretty close to my requirements.
20181117_181558.jpg

I tackled the front first as in this instance the forks proved to be the smallest gap I had to deal with so figured if I could get the front to work the back should be a doddle :laugh:

My first job was to see just how much clearance i had to play with so I test fitted the guard to the fork crown. When refitted the wheel wouldn't budge, bad start :laugh: There was however fresh air visible between the guard and the fork, so I marked where the guard was fouling and got to work with the dremel.

20181117_155429.jpg

I also dremeled flat the top of one of the rivets to try and eek out another half a millimeter. With the wheel back in I found it now turned, but there was a rub that I couldn't get rid of. This called for more drastic action so I drilled out the rivets completely and drilled two new holes for the bracket in front of the fork crown, then refitted the bracket above the guard. A few pop rivets held it back in place and another test fit was succesful, no more rubbing :okay:

20181117_164049.jpg

I then sorted the stays out, the left hand side needed popping in the vice and reshaping slightly to avoid the disc caliper but nothing too serious.

20181117_153208.jpg
20181117_153236.jpg

With the front almost done I turned my attention to the rear. Again clearance was tight but nothing a bit of selective dremeling couldn't sort out :okay: I had to cut an oval hole for the seatstay bridge to nestle in to allow the guard to sit high enough to prevent rubbing but this is nicely hidden by the bridge itself.

20181117_172955.jpg

It took a good couple of hours of tinkering to get it right but it seems spot on now, I'm pretty pleased with it. I won't really know if I've got enough clearance until I ride it but I'm fairly confident. Its certainly better than it was with the Crud's, and the alternative is to sell the bike and buy one with more clearance which I'd rather not do as I'm rather fond of it :tongue:

20181117_174849.jpg
20181117_175833.jpg

Top Bottom