What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Changed out the wheels on the Corso, the originals are too light for my weight. Fitted some Mavics and they do the job just fine. 27" wheels both, but I think I will re-use the Campy hubs and rebuild to 700c. All that should stop the pinging. Test ride was a success, this bike has a certain quality I just can't specify, but the ride sure is great.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Replaced most of the drivetrain on the Van Nicholas that I use as the main commuter bike - tubes, tyres, wheels, brake pads, bottom bracket, chain, chainrings and cassette. The bike's done just over 8,000 miles with the wheels and chainrings being the originals and the chain, cassette & bottom bracket having been last replaced at around 3,000 miles.
These are the parts that went on...
New Ventus parts (2).JPG
New Ventus parts (1).JPG

And these are the parts that came off as I know there's a few people who take an interest in wear rates over time (all thumbnails so click for full size)
Chain (with measure for reference) Chain wear.JPG
Outer & inner chainrings Chain ring wear (1).JPG Chain ring wear (2).JPG
Cassette (guess which spocket I used most!) Cassette wear.JPG
Rear wheel brake trrack Rim wear.JPG

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Eastway R4.0 winter commuter got a new chain - some sort of Shimano IG51 type to try as it was cheap.

My Wilier Montegrappa main commuter's got a new KMC X10-EL lightweight chain, new brake outer and inner plus new bar tape - Cinelli Mash Volee in black which goes nicely with the black/grey/red frame. Need some more but this is getting hard to find now.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was changing out the shark toothed existing chainring and BB on my Trek 950 I got the other day, the non drive side came out easy, too easy. That was because the drive side was corroded in place, of course. (or it would've been replace long before now, I'm sure, by others. It wouldn't budge, so I immediately went for the nuclear option (grinder) and cut the spider to remove the sprockets so I could cut the BB axle. Then I had to remove the fixed cup with the old 5/8ths bolt, lock washer, and nut set-up for the win. Replaced with sealed BB.

Cleaned the Robinson today and lubed everything up, might switch the bars around as well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Replaced my FSA Compression Headset Plug. From when I built up the bike, new, 5000+km ago, I didn’t do this correctly. Over time on my long, rough rides, it all goes slightly loose and I go through the process of retightening it. Not enough to damage the bearings luckily. The top cap was wound too far down, meaning it bottomed out before the stem and spacers were cinched up tight. To achieve this I manually created the tension needed and wrenched it all up tight. Luckily for me the most damage done recently was a stripped top cap. I shudder to think about shattering the carbon steerer on the forks or knackered bearings. £200+

The new part cost just over £10 including postage. Now installed properly it is sweet as a sweet thing and I ‘feel’ I have a reliable front end again.

Why I’ve held off for 5000km to sort this I have no idea. In the back of my empty brain, I have always said to myself, ‘You know when I try and qualify for PBP in 2023, I must get round to doing that head set. :excl:

Seems to be a typo should be 2019

JhnBssll

Veteran
Cleaned the Roubaix after yesterday's ride. Cleaned and oiled the chain. Readjusted the rear mech again, I made it worse last time :blush: I'm still getting to grips with this Di2 lark :laugh: I also connected it up to the PC and went through all the settings properly. Turns out I had the wrong cassette and chain ring ratios set, although it makes no difference unless your using the full synchro mode. I only use semi synchro mode but I corrected it none the less :tongue: I won't get out tomorrow as I'm spending the day with the in-laws but the weather looks good for the next week or so :becool:^_^

C R

Guru
Went to the garage to get something and noticed the rear tire on my bike was flat. Wheel and tube out, couldn't find any leaks. On closer inspection, one of the patches I applied last Monday was not fully stuck, and peeled off easily, so there may have been a small leak there. New patch carefully applied, and tire has held for a few hours. Let's see tomorrow.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bits - some done by me and some by the LBS:

Son's new race bike (Cervelo S3 - same as his previous but bigger) has been built by my LBS so we went for a bike fit for him and to collect it.
Son's new track bike also fitted by them, we set it up for him.

Put his old Avanti track bike back to original spec before sale (bars, wheels, pedals).

Fettled the Olmo Rigel after a short ride.

Continued painting the forks on the Carlton Corsa re-build for my 14yo. The orange looks :becool:

Domus

Guru
Good clean of the winter bike ready for New Years day ride, brake pads removed and filed, metal particles picked out. Hopefully fitted with the right amount of toe to prevent the awful squeal from yesterday's ride. New batteries in rear light and new front light fitted for first time, a Four4th. Will see (pun intended) how it performs on the way back from Manchester on Tuesday. Ride leader has warned everyone to check their tyres, so I have done.............Twice. :okay:

Top Bottom