What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Ive got a few weeks off work so Im currently fettling my airing cupboard after the hot water tank etc was stripped out and replaced with a combi a while back. So far ive repaired, cleaned and painted the walls and fitted a door switch for some LED lighting. I've started cutting wood for some shelves but haven't assembled anything yet. I also managed to pick up some carpet for a fiver so will fit that tomorrow all being well ^_^

Old:
IMAG1545.jpg

Current state:
20181217_164251.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'd like to pretend I didn't make a CAD model of my airing cupboard to work out how to best layout the shelves, but...

AIRING_CUPBOARD.jpg

:shy:

Put the winter wheels and Sks long guards on the bike the bike today. The winter wheels were last used in Flanders and had 28mm tyres the longs are only rated to 25mm though. Nonetheless I swapped over the cassette and fitted the guards. I was delighted to find out that with no further fettling the rear accepted the 28mm fine. I had to put a 25mm though on the front the clearance under the fork was just a tad too close. A tiny bit of fettling was also needed after changing the tyre to adjust the guard stays. I have power meter pedals on at the moment too so I'll probably change them to dumb ones :-)

Done :-)

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Further airing cupboard fettling today. I started fitting the first shelf and promptly put my foot through the floor :rolleyes: So shelf fitting postponed and out came the circ saw to cut out the old damaged floor board. This is what was left of the old board I cut out, frankly I was surprised it hadn't gone earlier :blink:

20181220_135338~2.jpg

I was left with this rather lovely hole once I'd cut back to good board...

20181220_130015.jpg

Fortunately I had some new board in the loft so I was able to replace it pretty quickly. While I was at it I fitted a new carpet strip in prep for laying the new carpet in the cupboard...

20181220_143858.jpg

... and since I'd gone this far I figured I may as well fit said new carpet too :laugh:

20181220_150631.jpg

With the excitement over I went back to painting the first new shelf, hoping to get more done tomorrow, preferably without breaking anything else :laugh: Once the shelves are done I can get back to cycling :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Further airing cupboard fettling today. I started fitting the first shelf and promptly put my foot through the floor :rolleyes: So shelf fitting postponed and out came the circ saw to cut out the old damaged floor board.
Fortunately I had some new board in the loft so I was able to replace it pretty quickly.

Any time I'm passing a builder's skip that contains offcuts of 3/4" structural plywood, they get immediately hoisted out and salvaged for just such jobs. I've got various access panels in my floors that are made from salvaged 3/4" ply, located over water pipe joints and electrical junction boxes that are screwed to the side of floor joists. I've never actually ever bought any flooring ply!

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I noticed a funny noise coming from the rear wheel bearings when riding home from work. When under load it was making a cracking noise. I decided to walk the last 1/2 mile just in case.

The next morning, I removed the rear wheel and inspected it. I think the axle might have been slightly bent. Fortunately I had a spare wheel from a old broken bike lying around in the shed. There was a broken spoke on it which I replaced and then trued the wheel. I also cleaned the whole drive train and serviced the cup and cone bottom bracket. The whole thing took the best part of an afternoon.

It is very satisfying being able to tune up one's bike like this. It's probably not economical in some ways but it works for me.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Replaced my FSA Compression Headset Plug. From when I built up the bike, new, 5000+km ago, I didn’t do this correctly. Over time on my long, rough rides, it all goes slightly loose and I go through the process of retightening it. Not enough to damage the bearings luckily. The top cap was wound too far down, meaning it bottomed out before the stem and spacers were cinched up tight. To achieve this I manually created the tension needed and wrenched it all up tight. Luckily for me the most damage done recently was a stripped top cap. I shudder to think about shattering the carbon steerer on the forks or knackered bearings. £200+

The new part cost just over £10 including postage. Now installed properly it is sweet as a sweet thing and I ‘feel’ I have a reliable front end again.

Why I’ve held off for 5000km to sort this I have no idea. In the back of my empty brain, I have always said to myself, ‘You know when I try and qualify for PBP in 2023, I must get round to doing that head set. :excl:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It is very satisfying being able to tune up one's bike like this. It's probably not economical in some ways but it works for me.

I can't think of anything more economical than DIY repairs using recycled parts from scrap bikes. It's dirt cheap, avoids unnecessary waste, and you aren't putting money into the pockets of globalist big business entities.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Had a clean and fettle of the Roubaix this evening as planned, before having a play with the Kona frame I'm building up in another thread. The Roubaix chain still had dry lube on it so as part of the clean I thoroughly degreased it, checked for wear and swapped to wet lube for the winter :okay: I also indexed the Di2 one increment to the left as I felt it was upshifting ever so slightly quicker than down under load; we'll see if it has made any difference on the next ride :laugh:

Post ride:

20181222_123919.jpg

Post fettle:

20181223_002913.jpg

I also took the opportunity to whip the brake pads out of the rear caliper and lightly sand them back, they're not quite biting as they should. I've got identical calipers on another bike and they're slightly better, I had to do the same to the rear brake on that one too to get it to play ball properly. Again, I'll find out when I next ride it but it feels and sounds better already just spinning it up and braking on the workstand :okay:

Top Bottom