What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ

Mine are going the same way, oddly not just the left

I do, however, if it's really cold, put a layer of bubble-wrap in the toes
It makes a heck of a difference!
The right overshoe is 50% gone too, but it will probably see me through to January before it needs fixing on.

I like the idea of the bubblewrap! I have a stash of it which I could cut some pieces off.

D

Deleted member 1258

The right overshoe is 50% gone too, but it will probably see me through to January before it needs fixing on.

I like the idea of the bubblewrap! I have a stash of it which I could cut some pieces off.

It's my left one that is wearing faster than my right one, it's my left foot that I put down when I stop which probably explains why.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's my left one that is wearing faster than my right one, it's my left foot that I put down when I stop which probably explains why.
Definitely the same for me.

The overshoes are getting tatty but they have been very good - much better than some that only lasted one winter. I haven't had much luck with the type fastened by zips - the zips always ended up failing. These use velcro at the back, and I have had no problems with that.

@ColinJ

Mine are going the same way, oddly not just the left
I do, however, if it's really cold, put a layer of bubble-wrap in the toes
It makes a heck of a difference

Plus the bubble-wrap acts as a 'duvet' (for want of a better word), with the air pockets helping insulation

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Olmo Rigel got a new chain - basically it's all now OK although I don't like the yellow saddle or the yellow/black bar tape:

OLMO1.jpg

Any thoughts? I'd prefer a black saddle and black or blue bar tape.

Also I finished a friend's brother's Elswick Stag as part of a surprise present. New bottom bracket bearings finished it off, with a puller getting the crank out.

Cleaned (mud, sand, grit, oil removed), it's had new bearings throughout, bar tape, chain, full set of cables, new tyres and tubes. Ready for it's next service, probably in another 35 years time. When it arrived all of the components were covered in cobwebs, oil and dirt - under all that were Shimano 600 front/rear derailleurs and a Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur.

DSCF6041.JPG

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The Olmo Rigel got a new chain - basically it's all now OK although I don't like the yellow saddle or the yellow/black bar tape:

View attachment 442354

Any thoughts? I'd prefer a black saddle and black or blue bar tape.

Also I finished a friend's brother's Elswick Stag as part of a surprise present. New bottom bracket bearings finished it off, with a puller getting the crank out.

Cleaned (mud, sand, grit, oil removed), it's had new bearings throughout, bar tape, chain, full set of cables, new tyres and tubes. Ready for it's next service, probably in another 35 years time. When it arrived all of the components were covered in cobwebs, oil and dirt - under all that were Shimano 600 front/rear derailleurs and a Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur.

View attachment 442359
Those bars look a bit ….. err...… limp?

Fitted my newly built Whyte mtb with XT M785 hydraulic brakes, bought on eBay.

I now need to buy a kit to bleed them as they stop OK but are a little bit spongey and the cables need shortening a few inches.

I put a new GXP BB in my bike with the FSA crankset. Its been a few years but lol I took the whole thing apart but the last bit wasn't moving freely then I googled the FSA self extracting crank. You leave the first hex bolt in place for the second to pull against and pull the crank out. Put it back together and it came off easy. I think I done the same the last time :blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
Fettled and failed today.
Twin LED homebrew front light, the Jack socket had worn out giving me a poor connection when I plugged in the lithium battery pack. New socket soldered in but in doing so, when I squeezed everything back into its housing, I snapped off a leg on the constant current driver. Ah well, i have a new one at work although its output is a bit lower so the lights won't be quite as good...
Deferred till Monday then.

C R

Guru
Installed the chromoplatics. Look good, and cover a lot more wheel than the ones they replaced. They are a bit of a faff to set up, specially in the cold garage.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Finished stripping and sanding the Carlton. Just a couple of annoying bits still to undo: one cotter pin won't come out, the bolt for the adjustable rear light bracket won't loosen and the RH adjustable bottom bracket cup isn't coming loose.

Minor bits, just need these done and then it's paint time. Hopefully - the RH bottom bracket cup has very thin flat parts like a central nut, so that'll need a vice.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Finished stripping and sanding the Carlton. Just a couple of annoying bits still to undo: one cotter pin won't come out, the bolt for the adjustable rear light bracket won't loosen and the RH adjustable bottom bracket cup isn't coming loose.

Minor bits, just need these done and then it's paint time. Hopefully - the RH bottom bracket cup has very thin flat parts like a central nut, so that'll need a vice.
Do you need to reuse that cup? If not a bolt through the spindle hole, tighten with a nut inside the shell, and turn with a large spanner, and a breaker bar if needed. As usual Sheldon has the details.

Top Bottom