What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fitted the front mudguard to the recumbent. Required QR adapters to add stay eyelets, a spacer for disc brake, cutting the stays to length, and bending RH stay to ensure mudguard centred over tyre. No rubs are rattles. Jobs a good 'un and means no more mucky space or crap all over the seat and frame if it's been even mildly wet.

Also rode down local park to set alignment of front Dynamo light after moving it to a bracket over the weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Shortened chain on new recumbent build by about six links. The derailleur cogs were on top of the small cog in middle ring / small. Now about right and can work in big big to small small. Not that you'd want those combinations but they work on a long recumbent chain.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
As soon as the new battery was in and connected, the Edge sprang to life, before I'd even completed the assembly!
As you were. <sighs> On starting it up this morning (and being back to colder conditions) the bug has returned. The new battery didn't work at all ... so that was money well spent! 🤬 Guess I should have posted this under the thread 'What have you failed to fettle today.'

Leaway2

Lycrist
As you were. <sighs> On starting it up this morning (and being back to colder conditions) the bug has returned. The new battery didn't work at all ... so that was money well spent! 🤬 Guess I should have posted this under the thread 'What have you failed to fettle today.'
It sounds as though it could be a dry joint on the board. Can you see the solder? If so, get magnifying glass and examine each joint. Re-solder any that look dodgy. Not having seen the circuit board this may be difficult if it is surface mount components. We usually heat and freeze the board to find the problem. This also my be difficult to isolate with it being so small.
Sorry if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It sounds as though it could be a dry joint on the board. Can you see the solder? If so, get magnifying glass and examine each joint. Re-solder any that look dodgy. Not having seen the circuit board this may be difficult if it is surface mount components. We usually heat and freeze the board to find the problem. This also my be difficult to isolate with it being so small.
Sorry if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs.
Not at all and thanks for the suggestion - a good point. The boards (there are a couple) do have surface mount components which, if at fault, are so tiny as to be beyond my dexterity to resolder unfortunately. Oh well.
What narks me more is the lack of 'support' from Garmin Support.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Put screws into mudguard stay fixings on the guard after deciding happy with their current position.

Mike_P

Guru
Changed front skewer on ebike to a locking one. Admittedly only Allen key type but then if someone is going to start attacking it with an Allen key lots of parts will have gone. Left the rear as a quick release as the chain does have an occasional habit of jamming twix the freewheel and frame, and its always locked by a D lock through the back wheel and frame. The locking skewers were £3.50 from Spa Cycles so no big waste of money in only using one of them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Put my trusty old Garmin 200 on charge. Even if I dont use it for weeks or months I charge it for an hour or so every week, and 8 years on it's not succumbed to Edge 200 battery failure syndrome.

Not at all and thanks for the suggestion - a good point. The boards (there are a couple) do have surface mount components which, if at fault, are so tiny as to be beyond my dexterity to resolder unfortunately. Oh well.
What narks me more is the lack of 'support' from Garmin Support.
From my experience with surface mounted components sometimes one end misses the solder bath. The device may work perfectly well for some time only to show up as an intermittent fault later on. When I was at work we had a magnifying device which we could use and locate a problem. Re-soldering was always a problem and a skill in itself. With todays SMD`s it is probably even harder as they are smaller than ever.

Made a tool caddie out of a redundant shuttlecock holder, to fit in a bottle cage. The eagle eyed will see that the bottle hits the second cage. To overcome that I had to drill some more holes in order to raise both cages. The caddie holds a spare tube, puncture repair kit and three levers. My second tube and specs along with rubber gloves and multitool goes into the saddle bag and I still have some room in there. When I swap bikes I just take the caddie off one and onto the other.

Top Bottom