What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
The Van Nicholas Amazon looks a very tidy set up . I have recently made a switch back to bikes with canti lever brakes .Much better clearance than dual pivots for fitting mudguards . Not a fan of discs on a road bike/tourer if fitting guards . Front stays clearing the piston leaves alot to be desired imho . A fork with eyelets half way up would be better . This was the case on some touring frames from the 40's/50's . That said with carbon forks it may not be possible/ limited market?

Gunk

Guru
It's nearly finished, you forgot the mudguards. Lots of clearance! ;)

I will fit a rack and mudguards, give me a chance 🙄

JPBoothy

Veteran
The Van Nicholas Amazon looks a very tidy set up . I have recently made a switch back to bikes with canti lever brakes .Much better clearance than dual pivots for fitting mudguards . Not a fan of discs on a road bike/tourer if fitting guards . Front stays clearing the piston leaves alot to be desired imho . A fork with eyelets half way up would be better . This was the case on some touring frames from the 40's/50's . That said with carbon forks it may not be possible/ limited market?
I have an older Cannondale CAADX with Canti's and I agree that they are much better (in the dry) than other types IMO..

Mike_P

Guru
More of what do I need to fettle. Found what seems to be a plastic clip fit cable guide but cannot work out where it has come from
IMG_20201219_142334375~3.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
After the left Shimano 6800 crank came off on my morning's ride - :ohmy: - with the bolt threads and crank threads stripped (they've done about 15000 miles) I borrowed the 6600 crank from my son's TT bike swap last month and used that as a temporary solution. All the RH crank and pedal threads cleaned and greased ready for when I source a spare.

Mike_P

Guru
Most of the day spent fettling the metal bike shed; finally put the dehumidifier in it. Definitely in need of it today with the roof dripping with condensation.
A hole was needed in the side for the outlet tube which took far longer than expected to create due to the battery powered drill deciding it needed charging and ultimately resort to a file due to hole size needed. An existing hole on the other side enlarged to take an extension cable, one from Screwfix with a nice weatherproof socket on the end and a hole drilled in the garden shed for the cable to access the mains socket in there.

Fitted a dehumidifier control unit between the extn lead and the dehumidifier itself which has a digital readout of just how wet it is and a cable senor which was fitted midway across the roof. 90% it said, target is 50% so electric company will be rubbing their hands :sad:

Holes in the shed painted with the correct paint for the shed and the hole to the garden shed a surround of sealant.

One problem created is that the road bike now has to lifted over the outlet tube and a drop fitted onto a bracket . To make it simpler have ordered a skateboard mini ramp so hopefully the bike can then be pushed in up and over the tube.

bagpuss

Guru
Cleaning bike for me today .I reckon enough mud came of it to plant seeds🌱 ,thats even with full mudguards! Roll on some dry weather.

Gunk

Guru
I have an older Cannondale CAADX with Canti's and I agree that they are much better (in the dry) than other types IMO..

They are really cool, I adjusted mine this evening, so easy, the shoes adjust in and out so you can get the alignment spot on. I also trued the rear wheel which was very slightly out and did a little more detailing (I couldn't help myself) sadly the Conti GP 4000's are cracked so they'll need replacing.

Gunk

Guru
After the left Shimano 6800 crank came off on my morning's ride - :ohmy: - with the bolt threads and crank threads stripped (they've done about 15000 miles) I borrowed the 6600 crank from my son's TT bike swap last month and used that as a temporary solution. All the RH crank and pedal threads cleaned and greased ready for when I source a spare.

I recon the earlier 6600 series is better quality, just feels bit more premium.

They are really cool, I adjusted mine this evening, so easy, the shoes adjust in and out so you can get the alignment spot on. I also trued the rear wheel which was very slightly out and did a little more detailing (I couldn't help myself) sadly the Conti GP 4000's are cracked so they'll need replacing.

View attachment 564082
Oh what a fool I am, I did t look closely enough and thought it had rim brakes :blush:

Top Bottom