What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
They are really cool, I adjusted mine this evening, so easy, the shoes adjust in and out so you can get the alignment spot on. I also trued the rear wheel which was very slightly out and did a little more detailing (I couldn't help myself) sadly the Conti GP 4000's are cracked so they'll need replacing.

View attachment 564082
My Cannondale with the Canti's is converted to flat bar so you get an even better pull from the levers and they are so sharp and a doddle to set-up using the barrel adjuster👍

JPBoothy

Veteran
Swapped the stem on my son's bike from 100mm to 50mm as he was a little stretched out. Won't have chance to put him on the bike until tomorrow so should he still be a little too stretched out I'll move the saddle horizontally. Also swapped the tyres from road to knobbly for tomorrow.
I managed to steal a few more mm on my sons bike by swapping the 'set back' seat post for a virtually straight one 👍

Tom B

Guru
Most of the day spent fettling the metal bike shed; finally put the dehumidifier in it. Definitely in need of it today with the roof dripping with condensation.
A hole was needed in the side for the outlet tube which took far longer than expected to create due to the battery powered drill deciding it needed charging and ultimately resort to a file due to hole size needed. An existing hole on the other side enlarged to take an extension cable, one from Screwfix with a nice weatherproof socket on the end and a hole drilled in the garden shed for the cable to access the mains socket in there.

Fitted a dehumidifier control unit between the extn lead and the dehumidifier itself which has a digital readout of just how wet it is and a cable senor which was fitted midway across the roof. 90% it said, target is 50% so electric company will be rubbing their hands :sad:

Out of curiosity what sort of shed do you have?

My metal shed has some vents but does suffer from condensation my concern is that I'd effectively be trying to dehumidify the world.

What dehumidifier did you use?

Really interested in how you get on.

Mike_P

Guru
Out of curiosity what sort of shed do you have?

My metal shed has some vents but does suffer from condensation my concern is that I'd effectively be trying to dehumidify the world.

What dehumidifier did you use?

Really interested in how you get on.
The shed is the flat roof floorless 2 bike Asgard locker. The dehumidifier is a Ecoair DD1 simple which does have an inbuilt sensor but I thought a separate one would be better as it would be more readily adjustable (not necessarily having to move both bikes out to get at it) while also allowing for a sensor to be better located around the middle of the shed. The dehumidifier is towards the back with a brick keeping it from going too close to the rear wall, has it be 40cm from a wall. The bikes fit either side, the road bike in front end first and the other backwards. The sensor is an Inkbird IHC-200 which will also work a humidifier or fan if too dry although that is pretty unnecessary for this purpose. The default settings seem fine and in the shot below the dehumidifier is operative as the top reading in the display is greater than 55; whilst it is set to 50 there is a differential value of 5 so that if you have both a dehumidifier and a humidifier they are not both on the same time. Might tweak that to the minimum value of 1.
IMG_20201220_112554037.jpg

The outlet simply dispenses onto the paving slabs adjacent which are slightly uneven giving an immediate drainage point
IMG_20201220_112524278.jpg

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Got out on the VN Amazon this afternoon and got well and truly soaked, drivetrain despite my unfounded concerns about the front mech was flawless, but brakes were terrible so I've sorted them out now and they are now perfect, loads of adjustment is available so I dropped the blocks slightly and moved them much closer to the rims. Handlebars were also not tightened enough (I was worried about damaging the carbon bars so probably over cautious with the torque)

However, the bike was stunning to ride, (smooth and comfortable!) plus a perfect fit, next job mudguards and a rear rack.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Got out on the VN Amazon this afternoon and got well and truly soaked, drivetrain despite my unfounded concerns about the front mech was flawless, but brakes were terrible so I've sorted them out now and they are now perfect, loads of adjustment is available so I dropped the blocks slightly and moved them much closer to the rims. Handlebars were also not tightened enough (I was worried about damaging the carbon bars so probably over cautious with the torque)

However, the bike was stunning to ride, (smooth and comfortable!) plus a perfect fit, next job mudguards and a rear rack.

View attachment 564238
Nice. I've never ridden on a Titanium bike, how does it compare to Steel/Aluminium and Carbon?

Gunk

Guru
Nice. I've never ridden on a Titanium bike, how does it compare to Steel/Aluminium and Carbon?

I rides very similar to a nice steel framed bike, with the touring geometry it feels slightly old fashioned which I like.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I rides very similar to a nice steel framed bike, with the touring geometry it feels slightly old fashioned which I like.
I have started to like Steel again after realising that the newer grade/spec is not the same as the old heavyweight material used for making Grifters etc.. I was a bit apprehensive about what the fork would feel like but it's absolutely fine and the amount of discomfort/buzz compared to my carbon forks is marginal despite me mainly using it on rough surfaces. I'm sure that after a longer touring type ride I may think differently though! Did all of the VN's come with carbon forks or has yours had them fitted afterwards?

Gunk

Guru
I have started to like Steel again after realising that the newer grade/spec is not the same as the old heavyweight material used for making Grifters etc.. I was a bit apprehensive about what the fork would feel like but it's absolutely fine and the amount of discomfort/buzz compared to my carbon forks is marginal despite me mainly using it on rough surfaces. I'm sure that after a longer touring type ride I may think differently though! Did all of the VN's come with carbon forks or has yours had them fitted afterwards?

I'm pretty sure they all come with carbon forks, mine is a bit unique as the previous owner built it up from a bare frame to his own spec, he did a first class job, all the components are top quality.

It will be interesting to try a back to back comparison as I now own Aluminium, Steel, Carbon and Titanium biles, I will have set up an experiment using the same test route.

Interesting article here

https://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk/why-buy-a-titanium-bike/

JPBoothy

Veteran
I'm pretty sure they all come with carbon forks, mine is a bit unique as the previous owner built it up from a bare frame to his own spec, he did a first class job, all the components are top quality.

It will be interesting to try a back to back comparison as I now own Aluminium, Steel, Carbon and Titanium biles, I will have set up an experiment using the same test route.

Interesting article here

https://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk/why-buy-a-titanium-bike/
Interesting stuff.. I was aware the the weight/strength benefits as I work in the Aerospace Industry but I've never been a big fan of the 'naked' frame look on a bike. When I got my first CAADX they did it in polished Aluminium with a black carbon fork which was a higher spec and cheaper than the one I chose at the time but my bikes have to appeal to me visually or I just can't get on with them. Shallow I know :blush:

Tom B

Guru
The shed is the flat roof floorless 2 bike Asgard locker. The dehumidifier is a Ecoair DD1 simple which does have an inbuilt sensor but I thought a separate one would be better as it would be more readily adjustable (not ,..............

snip

Thanks for the update. I have the asgard centurion. Did the dehumidifier have the outlet tube option or did you have to butcher it?

Let us know how you get on and if it cures the condensation / alters the weather.

carvelos

Got my trusty Raleigh Discovery frame back from Gary at GA Cycles in Shirley Southampton where he has been correcting my hamfisted attempts at cold setting the frame to 135mm.
I did the deed BADLY two years ago and have enjoyed endless bent axles and weird rubbing sounds as the back wheel tried to release itself from the torture I had inflicted upon it.
Gary reports that the frame is now better than new which must have been the early nineties. I have many thoughts for it.... Nexus hub / coaster brake / Alfine hub / roller brake / 1/8" chain and single chainring .......in fact anything I can think of rather than more crunchy derailleurs and worn out spindly chains as I plough through the best grit the Isle of Wight can throw at me. The bike in various incarnations has done over 20k miles with me and deserves some love now.
New headset bearings installed and now to draw up the wishlist for a last minute Santa!!
It really has been a Trigger's broom of a bike and will be again HO Ho ho!!!
my frame.JPG

better.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom