What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve had some nice stuff for Christmas so couldn’t resist having a fiddle whilst lunch was cooking

kids bought me a lovely Japanese tool box

View attachment 565093

so filled it up with all my bike specific tools.
View attachment 565094

My wife bought me a bench mounted stand, perfect for holding and restoring bare frames over the bench

View attachment 565095
That's a swanky looking toolbox you got there. During my apprenticeship days, we made our own steel toolboxes as and when needed. All well and good, but you could often come in the next day and find it welded shut by the resident prankster. I assume your 'bike specific' hammer collection resides in the old toolbox :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
That's a swanky looking toolbox you got there. During my apprenticeship days, we made our own steel toolboxes as and when needed. All well and good, but you could often come in the next day and find it welded shut by the resident prankster. I assume your 'bike specific' hammer collection resides in the old toolbox :laugh:

I’ve also got a tool cabinet, but was getting fed up of going backwards and forwards for bike specific tools, so earlier this year I but all the bike tools in to a large Tupperware box, when I saw this lovely red tool box a month ago I knew it would be perfect, so it ended up on my Christmas list.

There isn’t a bike specific hammer, I clout it with whatever is to hand!

Gunk

Guru
VN is all finished now, popped out for a quick test ride to collect some essentials, I’m so glad I bought it (I nearly didn’t)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Updated the maps on the Garmin Explore - wasn't the best idea as I ran it at the same time my daughter was downloading COD, son on line, us watching on demand and my daughter gaming as well. Fortunately, the broadband coped with it all.

Ihave some rotory wire brushes for the dremmel and drill - will be starting a full refurb of my Ribble 653 after Christmas.

Gunk

Guru
yes .. i like 24-25 inch frames ... always feel better on a large frame ...

I’ve restored a few that big, at 5’8” I can barely ride them

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned son's Boardman AirPro and fitted new SwissStop rear brake pads. Tried, and failed, to fit a GP4000 tyre so it's got a spare wheel on.

My Avanti Circa was cleaned from today's ride and my Wilier Montegrappa was cleaned plus a replacement rear mudguard and bracket after that snapped yesterday on rough roads. I also swapped the replacement Ultegra 6800 crank I bought last week with the 6600 one that was on temporarily.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Started the refurb on my Ribble 653. Its started to develop a bit of surface rust under the top tube and down tube, so being a fussy bugger, I've decided to refurb it and repaint in a perlescent white. It's metalic white and dark dreen at present (well was). Sanded it down, and where there was rust, taken this down to the surface. Dremeled all the lugs with a rotating brush to ensure they are corrosion free. Currently has it's first coat of grey primer, and I'll flat this back with wet and dry tomorrow, before starting with a white primer. Certainly not rushing this. Replacement transfers can be got from H Lloyd's. Everything came off the frame, seatpost etc no mither. The inside of the frame still smells of grease and oil.

I'll post some pics as it progresses. Although the frame looked in good condition, I'd been meaning to re-do it for some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom