What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just under 3000 miles i'll have you know .... mint !

What is the bike? Looks nice

Gunk

Guru
I turned my attention to the Mavic wheelset which is going on to my CB Majestic rebuild. I stripped and serviced the hubs, cleaned everything and gave the hubs a polish with Autosol, fitted some new tyres and they're now ready to fit.

carvelos

all that was left of a 8" seatpost that surrendered to caustic soda. THE BEST thing I hav ever done!! View attachment 558323
What I forgot to mention was how I had plugged the seat tube with surgical rubber gloves and kitchen roll to stop all the caustic juicy loveliness escape...
This lead to a 6" hard plug of ossified crystallline cruelty that would not be shifted - I tried long metal rods and savage biffing and then went down the route of compounding the problem by ramming an old steel axle down into it to wedge it even more...... (All this would never have been needed if I had only bought a small rubber basin plug when I had the freakin chance. (Why can't we live in hindsight it's such a wise place???).

Solved today by the 10 - 15 minute application of my trusty propane torch that not only made the frame glow a lovely colour, but also filled the village with black toxic fumes that I am writing to Boris about as a cure to Covid or at least any breathing ever!! The wedged axle fell out, rubber ash and crap tumbled down to the bottom bracket and all is right with the world.
Planning on Hammerite dark green with oil based gold pen accents around the lugs. Trial pic to follow as soon as special pen arrives

Chris S

Legendary Member
I stripped the spokes from a scrap wheel and then wondered if I could rebuild it again. I took a look at Sheldon's guide and gave it a go.

I had broken some of the spokes so I rebuilt it with 24 (instead of 36) and used a simple 2-cross lacing pattern. I kept the hub as central as possible when I was putting them in so the wheel was more or less true after I tightened them.

The whole build took less than 90 minutes. It would have been even quicker if I hadn't made a mistake with the first trailing spoke and had to redo them.

The wheel was at least as solid and as true as my existing one so I put an old tyre on it and went for a test ride. It didn't feel any different, even over speed bumps. If it had a full compliment of spokes (and no empty holes in the rim) then I'd probably keep it as a spare.

PICT0405.jpg

Last edited:

carvelos

I turned my attention to the Mavic wheelset which is going on to my CB Majestic rebuild. I stripped and serviced the hubs, cleaned everything and gave the hubs a polish with Autosol, fitted some new tyres and they're now ready to fit.

View attachment 566475

View attachment 566476

View attachment 566477
Looking good, I'm really sorry but the first time I (mis) read your polishing regime I convinced myself you had used Anusol and I found myself thinking of all the chemist products I could use - I mean Vaseline is best for seatposts as it is soap free and pumice stone is great for paint removal..

Nothing much, just 2 jobs

1. Fitted a bracket for the front light that I bought last week
It was this bracket from Halfords; https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...pe/bikehut-out-front-combo-mount-684374.html?

However, on looking at it, it's suggested mounting the light upside-down
Sadly, the Garmin portion won't remove, so the bracket is inverted

However, it's very flexible now, due to the weight being out-front
As much as I don't really like the silicone strap with it, I may have to resort to it
(I'm days-off today/tomorrow, so it'll be an 'early-turn' on Sunday, when I try it)

DSCF6249.JPG

DSCF6250.JPG

DSCF6251.JPG

I removed the chain, & very easily indeed, with my new 'quick-link' pliers, & left it soaking in a dish of (mixed) m/cycle chain-oil & diesel
The jockey-wheels, cassette & front derailleur were all cleaned up with diesel
The chain-rings removed to allow full access to clean then

DSCF6253.JPG

DSCF6254.JPG

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nothing much, just 2 jobs

1. Fitted a bracket for the front light that I bought last week
It was this bracket from Halfords; https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...pe/bikehut-out-front-combo-mount-684374.html?

However, on looking at it, it's suggested mounting the light upside-down
Sadly, the Garmin portion won't remove, so the bracket is inverted

However, it's very flexible now, due to the weight being out-front
As much as I don't really like the silicone strap with it, I may have to resort to it
(I'm days-off today/tomorrow, so it'll be an 'early-turn' on Sunday, when I try it)

View attachment 566647

View attachment 566648

View attachment 566649

I removed the chain, & very easily indeed, with my new 'quick-link' pliers, & left it soaking in a dish of (mixed) m/cycle chain-oil & diesel
The jockey-wheels, cassette & front derailleur were all cleaned up with diesel
The chain-rings removed to allow full access to clean then

View attachment 566650

View attachment 566651
If you're not using the Garmin part of the mount with the Halfords light, what you need instead is something like the Hope universal handlebar mount, which screws to the underside of the light. You shuld be able to find it for around a tenner, plus postage.
48172.jpg

bagpuss

Guru
Replaced cleats on winter cycling boots . What should of been a simple job,turned into slightly more of a problem, owing to the bolts heads been totally knackered :cursing:. Ended up having to drill 2 out .Managed to exract remains of bolts from the internal fixing plate .New cleats fitted and adjusted . Road tested etc . Warm feet on tomorrows ride:bicycle: .

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My fettling did not go to plan today . My Boardman fixed needed some TLC ,it was not a quiet ride in part due to a well worn bottom bracket . Change the bottom bracket, simple what could possibly go wrong.
I then remembered the extractor threads were a bit worn on this chain set , again not a problem. Well it was the extractor tool just chewed up the remaining threads. “ oh crumbs “ I said or something like that,
This could mean the visit of shame to the LBS . But I’m pleased I managed to sort it myself. See photo.
tomorrow I’m going to dig out my angle grinder to chop that chain set up , then I won’t be tempted to put it back on a bike.:laugh:

I had a failed fettle. I fitted some spare calipers on my bike, unfortunately I needed long reach ones and the spares were short reach so didn’t sit right on the rim. No probs, I’ll just swap back to the old calipers. When doing so I lost the serrated washer on the rear brake on the garage floor black hole and now it doesn’t sit tight.

Ah well bike is out of action for a few days but it has given me an excuse to pay £2.99 for some new tyres from Planet X along with the £6.99 DPD postage fee as they had the washer in stock. I also got a 1.85mm spacer for a cassette and a few other bits I needed that I put off purchasing.

Once my Mavic jersey sells on CC I’ll probably buy the ice cream jersey from Planet X which I have had my eye on.

Top Bottom