What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After discovering a missing spacer, I took the cassette of and put it in :blush: I bought a new gear cable outer earlier, I might install that if I get round to it.

I have fitted the new outer now, the inner was only fitted on Saturday so it should be OK, re index and all seems OK. I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow and if all is OK keep the spare inner as a spare or else fit it :smile:

Xiorell

Über Member
This is not completed yet but I've been building my stand-in bike I'm gonna have to use for a bit following an accident.
Old Raleigh Tucana, have stripped it all down, reconditioned all the bits, greased it all up, sprayed the frame (nowhere near as good as the last one I built but then it's just a temporary ride).
Just gotta put it all together tomorrow and add new cables.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
Today I have fitted my new Revolution Cross with new SKS mudguards and a rack. It took most of the day faffing with the 'guards. I could have used an extra couple of pairs of hands, and I had to work around a few issues, but I got there in the end. Fitting the rack (Tortec Expedition) was an absolute doddle.

Fairly proud of myself, I must say. So much so that I've rewarded myself with a nice chilled bottle of cider
biggrin.gif

If it was all working before, you won't need to make adjustment to the limit screws anyway, its all in the barrel adjustment. I've got to re-index mine but first I have to pop to the lbs to get a new rear derailleur cable outer, I replaced the others last night.

Thanks for that link.

Rear mech now set with correct limits and indexed so runs up and down all 7 gears sweetly. I am getting some noise from the jockey wheels and suspect that there may be some twist/bend in it.

Front mech is still a pain. One limit screw is stuck so It won't get to the granny ring, so have it set up to work on only the middle and large ring. The rings also have a small lateral wobble in them so the chain scrapes the mech each pedal revolution.

I will apply appropriate force to correct the twist/bend/wobble at some future date.
Any suggestions for freeing up a stuck limit screw. I don't want to put too much force through the head in case it strips the slot.

Thanks for that link.

Rear mech now set with correct limits and indexed so runs up and down all 7 gears sweetly. I am getting some noise from the jockey wheels and suspect that there may be some twist/bend in it.

Front mech is still a pain. One limit screw is stuck so It won't get to the granny ring, so have it set up to work on only the middle and large ring. The rings also have a small lateral wobble in them so the chain scrapes the mech each pedal revolution.

I will apply appropriate force to correct the twist/bend/wobble at some future date.
Any suggestions for freeing up a stuck limit screw. I don't want to put too much force through the head in case it strips the slot.

Glad you got it sorted, albeit noisy.
Front Mach sounds like my Ridgeback Velocity (Town bike) it only likes the big ring and if I adjust it to get a lower ring it won't go up again. I really need to get around to replacing all the cables and cleaning and relubing the mech :blush: My sirrus has a small lateral movement, touch wood it has never got worse and its on my turbo now anyway.
The only time I've let them seize up is on the Ridgeback, I've applied WD-40 or Lobe and left and when I've come back to them they've moved.

I patched a tube last night but I don't want to blow it up like a commentator before the Scotland game ;)

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Today I have mostly been stripping the clear laquer off my aliminium hybrid Python Quantum because it is looking tatty and uneven now. It is my aim to get it back to raw aliminium and then have at it with the brasso which makes it look shinier than gods teeth. As always with these things it is proving to be mesier and more arduous than I first envisaged. The stuff comes off fairly easily at first but it takes a couple of goings over to get it all off. Then of copurse comes the brassoing which again seems very easy when doing a test patch...

This screw is resisting all attempts ...

As I see it I have 4 options:
  1. Leave it as it is and just use 2 rings.
  2. Drill out the screw and rely on the cable setting to stop the chain dropping onto the BB.
  3. As 2, but find a screw/bolt that will fit the new hole and use that as the new limit screw.
  4. Give up and buy a new front mech.
Not too fond of 1 or 4, 1 because the granny ring will be there and unusable to taunt me on some climb and 4 because it is silly to chuck an OK bit of kit over a little part like a screw.

So I will probably go for option 2 and if there are problems keeping it off the BB try for option 3.

HovR

Über Member
Before going for option 4, maybe removing the mech from the bike, removing anything flammable from the mech, and heating it up with a blow torch - allowing the hole the screw goes into to expand, and contract. If you are lucky the expanding and contracting, along with a generous helping of WD40, may loosen up the screw.

Another option is to try and turn the screw with a tight grip from a pair of pliers - Of course if the screw really is stuck in there, this could take the head off.

This should probably be a bit of a last resort, as there is potential for permanent damage to the components.
wink.gif

As for my bike, I have:

• Straightened the front derailleur mech. (Bracket wasn't tight enough, caused it to twist on the frame.)
  • Set the limits correctly for the rear mech.
  • Removed slack from the gear cables.
  • General cleaning.

Top Bottom