What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's got very old and very primitive Campy changers, boy are they strange! Both sides ratchet up then the thumb lever ratchets them back down again.
That sounds like the still-current ErgoPower shifter design which I have on both my road bikes. It doesn't take long to get used to and it works really well. The one slight disadvantage is that some people struggle to operate the thumb shifter tabs from the drops. I don't change gear from that position very often, but can manage it when I need to.

If I popped out with the club tonight I might pump up the tyres, does that count as fettling. I might be a weather wuss, as I don't fancy the predicted 17mph winds and 29mph gusts.

Re-fixed a puncture, the patch had lifted off at one point. My fault for being in a hurry to fix it the first time round.

Put a new nut on the non-drive side of my Nexus hub. This had been using an incompatible alternative and the threads had stripped in the nut. The axle was fine. I needed to order a Nexus fitting kit to get the one nut as they are non-standard threads.

Replaced a borrowed (from the wheel for the bike in progress) allen key front skewer with a QR one I realized I had in the non-dynamo front wheel hanging on the shed wall. The dynamo front wheel was the one needing the skewer.

Used the FYOB facilities at the Bike Station so that I could borrow their headset press, thread cutter & crown race thumper. Not a bad deal at £4/hr, use of tools and the advice from the team.

Installed a new headset and fitted the forks to my old Claude Butler frame. The shed now contains all the parts for the rebuild. Just need to put it together, but as we are going out this evening, it will have to wait for tomorrow.

Fuzzball

photo.php

Fitted my shiney new wheelset (fulcrum 5s) to my road bike, including switching over the cassette. Transferred the bike computer and bits to the road bike.

All as commute bike was trashed in a rtc cycling to work last friday, nearly worth it to see the road bike back to full strength

I'm back to work on monday and yes i will be cycling!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
finished off making a raised bed for growing veg next year

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted new front brakes to the Ridgeback Platinum - a set of Clarks CPS240 following advice on here.

I was supposed to spray the forks of by winter eBay Carrera Virtuoso buy, but it rained so I couldn't be bothered :blush: . Maybe tomorrow.

ACS

Legendary Member
Threw together a BSO for standby commuter duties. Old Raleigh Rave frame some 26 hoops from the back of the garage, plastic guards, spec saddle etc etc (yawn)

Total waste of 2 hours, worst bike I have ever ridden not even fit to be classed as a pub bike.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
No real fettling, but today I removed, degreased and cleaned my cassette, cleaned and greased the freewheel hub and bearings on the rear wheel, cleaned the derailleur, cleaned the front chainrings and installed a new chain.

Also removed superfluous rear light bracket from the seatpost, scrubbed my brake pads clean, cleaned my wheel rims.

All reassembled, gears indexed and ready for a ride tomorrow.

Top Bottom