What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
Fitted a new back wheel, a new bell and made a removable bracket for the handlebars so that all 4 lights come off in one bit. and fitted those lidl spoke refractors I bought a couple of weeks ago.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got round to spraying the forks on my winter Carrera Virtuoso 'to wreck' bike. They're now satin black instead of chipped and flaky black. All that's left it to use it - I took the Ridgeback up to Holmfirth in the rain instead, getting some very odd looks in Sid's Cafe :biggrin:

cjb

Got round to spraying the forks on my winter Carrera Virtuoso 'to wreck' bike. They're now satin black instead of chipped and flaky black. All that's left it to use it - I took the Ridgeback up to Holmfirth in the rain instead, getting some very odd looks in Sid's Cafe :biggrin:

Me too, sprayed over the paintless bits on my everyday bike spokes.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Front panniers on, including sawing out a head on a stripped cheese-metal bolt (so now all the bolts are stainless
smiley.gif
)

Also loaded up the bike with the kit I'll be taking off to Scotland next week and took her out for a spin. It's amazing how much better she handles when loaded front and back, compared to rear panniers only
smiley.gif

Attachments

• smiley.gif
    smiley.gif
    186 bytes · Views: 65
I done most of my fettling last night, new cables (inners & outers), new cassette (the chain is only a few weeks old) and bar tape; it seemed like a pretty good job today although I need to replace the rear derailleur outer still (ran out of cable). Today was only pumping the tyres up for the ride, I don't know if you can call that fettling ;)

A bit more than a fettle.

Continued work of the Claude Butler rebuild ...

Replaced the bearings in the rear hub.
Tubes & tyres on both wheels (a bit of excitement when the bead on one tyre failed later on at full pressure - my ears were ringing for a few minutes there. That tube & tyre was replaced again)
Fitted all the components to the frame & cabled up gears & brakes
Put freewheel on rear hub & bodged the spacing for the OLN with washers & spare nut.
Put wheels on & fitted chain.
Failed to get the gears changing correctly - a job for another day. The limit screws are a bit solid.

Failed to get the gears changing correctly - a job for another day. The limit screws are a bit solid.

If it was all working before, you won't need to make adjustment to the limit screws anyway, its all in the barrel adjustment. I've got to re-index mine but first I have to pop to the lbs to get a new rear derailleur cable outer, I replaced the others last night.

BSRU

A Human Being
Started to give the £5 MTB, I bought a few months ago, some TLC cleaned the wheels, serviced the hubs, cleaned the chain, chainset and rear freewheel plus a general clean of the bike with baby wipes.
Then put on some monster Ice Spiker tyres on, that look huge compared to other bikes.

Tried to sort out the brakes but there knackered so ordered some replacements and new cables.

All I have left now, is the brakes, sort out the gear change, find a nut for the saddle clamp and put some lights on. Then all I need is lots of snow ;).

gbb

Legendary Member
Had another go at the downtube barrel adjusters for the gears on my Bianchi....they're siezed solid, even after soaking in WD for a week or so.
Pair of water pump pliers gently on the plastic adjusters...i sense they're cracking :sad:

Ah well, the bike runs well so its not imperative i get them sorted, but i'll soak them again...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Just put sks raceblades on my roadie
smile.gif

Front one was a bit of a faff, but now I can whip them off and put back on to my heart's content. Will test ride on Wednesday, all being well.

Top Bottom