What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I probably should have done a fresh install but after the weekends resorting to a tube in a tubeless tyre on the gravel bike, half of the tyre was still seated. So I inserted sealant and it seated instantly with a track pump, no mess. Then it started to hiss from the stem. So cue peeling back the unseated half of the tyre and adding fresh rim tape; and reseating the tyre. At first with me probably not getting the rim tape smooth enough it wouldn't seat, so I resorted to CO2 cannister to give it that extra whoosh to get the tyre over the hook in to the bead. That worked at first but a few minutes later was that hiss again. But having got the tyre over the hook I just kept at it with the track pump inbetween spins of the wheel and the hiss stopped. That all resulted in a little mess. I had to do the same with the road bike's higher pressure tyre last night but it was much more messy as both sides needed seating.

Attachments

• 20221207_195140.jpg
    20221207_195140.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2

Sallar55

Veteran
Headshok loosing air again but takes longer to go down.Fitted a new valve core again, this time one from tyre repair shop . Next time will wrap in some plastic, not good having it in with the other brake hose spares . Must have damaged the seal.

PXL_20221208_140436907.jpg

I probably should have done a fresh install but after the weekends resorting to a tube in a tubeless tyre on the gravel bike, half of the tyre was still seated. So I inserted sealant and it seated instantly with a track pump, no mess. Then it started to hiss from the stem. So cue peeling back the unseated half of the tyre and adding fresh rim tape; and reseating the tyre. At first with me probably not getting the rim tape smooth enough it wouldn't seat, so I resorted to CO2 cannister to give it that extra whoosh to get the tyre over the hook in to the bead. That worked at first but a few minutes later was that hiss again. But having got the tyre over the hook I just kept at it with the track pump inbetween spins of the wheel and the hiss stopped. That all resulted in a little mess. I had to do the same with the road bike's higher pressure tyre last night but it was much more messy as both sides needed seating.

Yip I definitely should have done a fresh install. The tyre although pumping up solid the valve is leaking at higher pressure. I'lll try taking it out cleaning it and the rim bead and applying some electrical tape instead of rim tape for that section (it worked before and was good for over a year. If that doesn't hold over night it'll be a new valve and a fresh install 😐
The road tyre I fitted the night before seems to be holding air at least.

Yip I definitely should have done a fresh install. The tyre although pumping up solid the valve is leaking at higher pressure. I'lll try taking it out cleaning it and the rim bead and applying some electrical tape instead of rim tape for that section (it worked before and was good for over a year. If that doesn't hold over night it'll be a new valve and a fresh install 😐
The road tyre I fitted the night before seems to be holding air at least.

Success hopefully I put some electrical tape in and cleaned the valve and put a new rubber washer on it. The valve leaked at first again but the cleaned stem/washer seemed to attract the sealant to it so it quickly sealed.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We have had this wooden Nutcracker for a few years and my daughter took a shining to it's sword many moons ago.

So every year it comes out minus it's sword.

Not this year as I drilled a little hole in vase of sword and too of fist and used a matchstick to peg it .

Not sure it will last long in our granddaughters hands but will see.

IMG_20221207_080803483.jpg

IMG_20221207_080809596.jpg

IMG_20221207_080816032.jpg

IMG_20221209_101026252_MP.jpg

IMG_20221209_101032165.jpg

IMG_20221209_101410940.jpg

This one is getting on my nerves:

20221209_131028.jpg

Bottom bracket was wobbly so I took it off. It turns out it's not a sealed unit so I took it apart and regreased it then tried to put it on again. Unfortunately it's either too wobbly or too tight; I can't get it into the sweet spot so I'm going to have to search out a sealed BB, which means I've got to to replace the mech as well as it is held on by the BB.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it genuinely a Giant or a falsely labelled BSO ?

Old skool, with none of this suspension. :laugh:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This one is getting on my nerves:

View attachment 670563

Bottom bracket was wobbly so I took it off. It turns out it's not a sealed unit so I took it apart and regreased it then tried to put it on again. Unfortunately it's either too wobbly or too tight; I can't get it into the sweet spot so I'm going to have to search out a sealed BB, which means I've got to to replace the mech as well as it is held on by the BB.

Looks like an old Giant MTX kids bike?
Values may be different in Germany but if you are replacing the BB and front mech then you may be out of pocket come to re-sale?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Andy in Germany - my Raleigh Pioneer was like that. Much more usable since I put a better bottom bracket, bigger crankset and different front mech on.

I cleaned up the Avanti Circa 1 this morning after a few day's commuting duty, switched to studded tyres (the different width wheels mean front/rear brake adjustments) and tried to get the recalcitrant rear mech to shift to the smallest cog. I have sort of bent it apparently from a ride on Wednesday - it's working but I've 9, not 10, gears at the moment. The hanger looks straight however.

Looks like an old Giant MTX kids bike?
Values may be different in Germany but if you are replacing the BB and front mech then you may be out of pocket come to re-sale?

That's the one. I get parts wholesale so I can get a BB for 12€. When pricing I include the cost of new parts at retail, and a flat cost for used parts and labour. I think I can sell this bike for ca. 120€ so I should be within budget.

Last edited:
I couldn't get that tubeless road bike tyre to hold over 40psi. So at half time in the England game I took it off. Cleaned the rim/valve, used electrical tape and reinflated it with my air tank. It seated first time and when I checked it with the track pump it was holding steadily with 80psi in it. I wouldn't normally have any more. Surprisingly the whole thing was fast and unmessy.

I couldn't get that tubeless road bike tyre to hold over 40psi. So at half time in the England game I took it off. Cleaned the rim/valve, used electrical tape and reinflated it with my air tank. It seated first time and when I checked it with the track pump it was holding steadily with 80psi in it. I wouldn't normally have any more. Surprisingly the whole thing was fast and unmessy.

Tubeless tyres seem very complicated.

Top Bottom