What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tubeless tyres seem very complicated.

Thankfully that tyre was still solid today. Tubeless are very uncomplicated until something goes wrong. My Gravel bike tyre turned out be pretty complicated (probably caused by me trying to take shortcuts). Id got that to seat first time every time, no effort, but it was leaking from the valve. If I tightened the valve locknut it seemed to stop but after staying solid for hours it would go down overnight. It clicked with me given the final ease of fitting the higher pressure road bike tyre that I want to use a similar bung as the roadbike stem (you can change them with MucOff valves) and push it down in to the rim rather than relying 100% on the lock nut. That seems to have worked and it was also a simple 15min job to fix it. I should have done that originally #EverydayIsASchoolday :laugh:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Today I’ve fettled my wardrobe. By buying some more / warmer clothing in readiness for a few Xmas rides……😎

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... and a change of mind had me cancel the sale of my bike. Spent most of this morning refitting the e-conversion and generally tidying up the bike.
Well, I hope to see you out on it again in the Spring!

I have a third route planned from Hebden Bridge again, and taking us round to that teashop you told us about on Jerusalem Lane, near Midgley.

Hopefully finally sorted that tubeless gravel tyre by doing what I should have done from the start. It had been holding pressure for about an hour but was going soft overnight. So I stripped the tyre completely and the old rim tape cleaned it and applied new tape. It seated and sealed first time without sealant so I unscrewed the core and added sealant. My syringe extension nozzle jammed so I had to remove it and unseat the tyre slightly and insert the syringe/sealant directly into the tyre. Reseated it with the track pump and it pumped upto 40psi no problem rotated and bounced it a few times to disperse the sealant and seems to have stayed solid, I hope it still is in the morning 🤞

Sallar55

Veteran
Fixed my Sinewave revolution usb charger , broken cable at strain relief. Used a cast off cable and connector from a dead B&M usb charger that failed after a thunderstorm.

1000004141.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
A little while back I replaced my leaky SRAM Rival Brakes on the Kona, with shiny new Hope Calipers, but the front one never quite fitted right. With spacers I managed to get the vast majority of the caliper over the disc, but it wasn't ideal. After several very hilly bikepacking trips this year I started to idly ponder whether I could uprate my front brake even further and fit a 180 rotor rather than a 160 and possibly solve my caliper fit issues at the same time.

This led me to look into mounting standards and the realisation that I actually don't have Post Mount brakes like I thought I had, but IS or International Standard mountings. This is an older standard that you don't see so much off these days, however, it was actually really good news. In order to mount calipers onto a IS standard frame, you need either IS specific brakes or an adapter to convert the IS mount to post mount, which is what's fitted on my bike. All of this is a long winded way of saying, all I needed to convert my front brake to 180mm was a new IS-PM 180F adaptor!

So for the grand sum of €11 a shiny new adaptor arrived, here it is alongside the original 160mm adapter:

IMG_20221215_200324184_HDR.jpg

You'll notice it also has R160 stamped on it, the same adaptor fitted on the back will allow you to run a 160mm rotor there, I really don't understand the Geometry behind that, but I don't need too!

The old 160mm disc was taken off of the front wheel and will now be a spare for for the rear of either my Mountain Bike or the Kona. The new 180mm fitted straight on in a few minutes. A few minutes later I'd refitted the wheel and the caliper and re-centred it, I may need to adjust it again, but for now it's good to go. The caliper now fits perfectly on the adapter and lines up perfectly on the disc, it all looks really nice too, super happy with that, a cheap easy upgrade that will give me some pretty powerful braking.

IMG_20221215_203050132.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

A bit of a wheelchair fettle tonight, we were out this afternoon and I wheeled My Good Lady onto the bus in her chair parked her in the wheelchair space and put the brakes on, during the trip I noticed that one of the brakes wasn't holding well and the chair was moving round in the wheelchair space so I had a brake fettle tonight which should sort the problem.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the Avanti Circa 1 after this week's commuting. It wasn't too bad, possibly due to the roads being frozen.

Then swapped the saddle out from the Dawes Giro Zwift bike. I'd been using the Selle Italia saddle the frameset came with and bruised a sit bone whilst doing the Zwift racing league on Tuesday - for the CycleChat team so I continued rather than giving up. A Fizik Nisene saddle's gone on instead, which we've used before for Zwift on a different bike so that'll hopefully be better.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Cool indeed! Of course all DIY shops are now out of pipe lagging now. However, the -9 temperatures were very unusual so should be ok to wait. Having read up on condensate pipes I can see ours is not optimally installed. It has a shallow angle of drop including a near horizontal section and is quite some distance from drain. It could at least have done with lagging. If I replace the kitchen units I might bring it inside.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cool indeed! Of course all DIY shops are now out of pipe lagging now. However, the -9 temperatures were very unusual so should be ok to wait. Having read up on condensate pipes I can see ours is not optimally installed. It has a shallow angle of drop including a near horizontal section and is quite some distance from drain. It could at least have done with lagging. If I replace the kitchen units I might bring it inside.
I didn't realise how much water comes out of those pipes. I just looked it up and apparently it can easily be 2-3 litres per hour of boiler use!

Top Bottom