What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fitted the mudguards and rack to the Diamond Back I refurbished last week. All brand new stainless bolts used, and thread lock on the rear pannier bolts. My new Charge Spoon for it finally arrived late this afternoon.

Saddle on, ready to ride. If it stops raining, I may go and get it dirty ! :whistle:

Gunk

Guru
Here it is, should have taken a before picture as it was pretty rough. I personally love the patina

0A63C05B-3670-4DA3-99F1-4F58A6113FBB.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
set up the lifeline 2 fluid turbo, no instructions but it was easy enough although the pressure on the rear wheel has no instructions so it will be a bit of fiddling .
I think i was a bit low for the 1st ride as i was pushing 3.5 w/kg according to zwift estimate and about 22-24 mph on the flat which feel a bit high as i normally do more like 21 on the flat

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ran it last night and for the cash feels good , no instructions worth a damn as i said but its not hard to work out ,I think i need to add maybe quarter turn resistance more to be realistic resistance wise to match on the road speed/effort .
Using speed/cadence sensor for zwift so the virtual power might be overestimating my power but for the amount of time i will use it it doesnt matter that its out by a bit as long as i get a good workout .Certainly more realistic than the old mag style with a resistance knob .
video review

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUC5LNXDYHs

november4

Thanks, well worth the punt at that price, it looks better than I thought it would be, and will give me something to do rather than risk my neck in winter weather

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
One of those days to be doing bits, and getting frustrated at the same time:

My Olagnero frameset's been sat for about 6 months doing nothing with a too-big seatpost rammed into it that won't come out as it's seized and rusted. I've given up having tried many things. And it needed too much work to be sent to the Seatpost Man. So ... I tried removing the forks. Also seized and I got a bashed and bleeding knuckle for my trouble. It's going on sale as is and the buyer can try to remove the forks :cursing: . At least I have the Shimano RX100 groupset and Mavic Reflex wheels it came with which all work.

I then tidied the wheels in the parts shed as two new pairs of Superstar Components wheels, for next winter, are taking up space. Two full wheelsets out to be sold (a single speed set with new tyres, a used Superstar red set with tyres) and a very worn Fulcrum Racing 1 plus 1-4 other wheels as possible sales.

After a coffee and some Christmas cake I set onto upgrading my Holdsworth Roi de Velo crankset for the second time. Pedals, cranks, bottom bracket all came out easily - which was a relief. Then the problem started; the bottom bracket I thought it would take (a Dura-Ace 9000) wouldn't fit the crankset. At least I tried it before fitting. So, left as is and what I think is the correct bottom bracket now has been ordered and is on the way. To be continued and I have until January 17th to get it all done ...

Finally, the Peugeot Optimum I picked up about 8 months' ago had a seeing-to. Note to self: don't trust a seller who asks for money up front.

Why? Well the 'fully working bike' turned out to have seized gears, a seized seatpost, a seized stem and bars plus the original 20mm tyres from 1990 which were massively cracked all over. Oh, and the saddle clamp was missing a bolt. Eight months ago the seatpost and stem were un-stuck and re-greased where needed, saddle sorted out, new gear cables in Then I tried to take the pedals off as they were old flat ones. Left = fine, plus the crank off easily so I could have a look at the bottom bracket. Right = seized :cursing: . The crank = seized, cross-threaded and it broke my puller, which also stuck in :cursing::cursing::ohmy: . So it was put away for another time.

Today I pulled it out, got as much of the damaged puller cut off as I could and then put used tyres on. It'll be ridden until the crank comes off, if ever, when I'll get the pedal off or replace the RH crank. The work is possibly worth it as the whole bike's hardly used and is main-tube-and-forks 531-framed, but hasn't been stored well since there's quite a bit of rust all over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom